Infectious Disease summer opportunities for measly first year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Espressso

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
ID folks!

Any advice for an ID-enthusiast first year DO student for approaching their summer break? I was planning on doing a medical trip focused on HIV/TB in South Africa but unfortunately with the water shortage, that fell through.

I'm planning on doing some basic shadowing in my home town for a few weeks but I'm hoping to figure something more out.

Specifically... research. Any advice for finding research opportunities abroad? Or even in the US but focused for HIV.

I've been having a difficult time finding anything.

Many thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

enjoy the last real break you have from now on...ID is not that competitive and frankly unless what you are going to results in a 1st author paper, it is not really going to help you for your fellowship applications...what you do in residency will be more important.

enjoy the last real break you have from now on...ID is not that competitive and frankly unless what you are going to results in a 1st author paper, it is not really going to help you for your fellowship applications...what you do in residency will be more important.
Could you please elaborate on this? I'm interested in hearing more as I thought any research would be good to do, especially research in something related to what you eventually want to do? Although I know a 1st author paper would be best, but that seems hard to do unless you already have some research experience and a good mentor or adviser to work with? I only have a poster as a med student, but considering IM and subspecialty (not sure which one, but possibly the more competitive ones like pulm/ccm or cards), so hoping to try to do some research in residency if possible. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Could you please elaborate on this? I'm interested in hearing more as I thought any research would be good to do, especially research in something related to what you eventually want to do? Although I know a 1st author paper would be best, but that seems hard to do unless you already have some research experience and a good mentor or adviser to work with? I only have a poster as a med student, but considering IM and subspecialty (not sure which one, but possibly the more competitive ones like pulm/ccm or cards), so hoping to try to do some research in residency if possible. Thanks!

If you have a pulse and an MD you can do ID/nephro. Many programs do not fill. She is saying don't waste your time being an ID gunner. And even then, what you do during residency is more important than med school. Yes for more competitive specialties you need to play the research game.

If you have a pulse and an MD you can do ID/nephro. Many programs do not fill. She is saying don't waste your time being an ID gunner. And even then, what you do during residency is more important than med school. Yes for more competitive specialties you need to play the research game.
yes, that is exactly what i meant.