1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Infectious Disease

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Spookster831, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Spookster831

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi,

I was wondering does anyone know much about infectious disease as a specialty? I have been been thinking about it recently. I know you have to do internal medicine first and then so a fellowship and I was wondering how competitive the fellowships would be after IM? Is there any information on salaries, etc. Also, when I'm trying to match for IM should I go for a hospital with a good infectious disease department or is there no point?

thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. PeepshowJohnny

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Infectious Disease is relatively noncompetitive since it's more a calling and you don't have people going into it to make big bucks or to get prestige *CoughCardiologycoughcough*. I think any good sized university program is going to have a decent infectious disease service and you'll get plenty of opportunity to make connections, do projects, get letters. I don't think you need to go to any powerhouse places.

4. themudphud

2+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    I think the best description of ID is that it is a very scholarly specialty. Therefore it is not glamorous, lucrative or even that respected within the hospital. I think a lot of ID docs (even in large universities, e.g. where I'd at now) have to do IM clinics to pull in their full salaries. Therefore, I wouldn't skimp on where you do your IM residency. Moreover, yes ID is not very competitive, but considering that you're not going to be paid well regardless of whether you leave academia or stay, you should shoot to go to the best ID program possible to be most competitive when looking for a job.
    Finally, I kid not when I say that it is a very scholarly field. The research coming out of ID is very strong. Current high impact research: e.g. HIV, HCV, HBV); up-and-coming high impact research: e.g. tropical diseases.
    However, you could also argue that one can study an infectious disease without going into ID, e.g. some of the strongest HCV and HBV researchers are hepatologists.

5. Mr hawkings

Mr hawkings Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think the competetiveness depends on where you go considering that most programs have only 2 or 3 fellowship spots available total (not per year). At least that was the case in the programs i looked at.

6. Mr hawkings

Mr hawkings Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    A lot of them also run basic science reserach labs within the university system. i know several that dont do any IM but they also spend about 35% of their time in lab.