Infective Endocarditis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
I have had 2 patients in the last week with MVP. I called their physicians(2 different ones) both said that their patient still needs ab premed for MVP. I think it will take physicians longer to accept the new guidelines. Both MDs were aware of the new guidelines but still recommend pre-med.

There's more and more evidence supporting the opinion that IE following dental surgery is extremely rare. The few (retrospective) studies on the subject have failed to show a significant rise in the incidence of IE in subjects not recieving prophylaxis prior to oral surgery. Also, in a recent PhD thesis here in Denmark the author found that bacteremia following chewing, flossing and toothbrushing occurs 90 times/month in the average person (rarely, if ever, causing IE in risk patients).

Having said that, it's obvoius that IE can and does occur after oral surgery in risk patients, but the risk is probably very low anyway. It's been estimated that the cost of preventing 1 death due to IE after oral surgery is around $1.000.000 and the cost of preventing one case of IE after oral surgery is around $100.000. That's a lot of amoxicillin.