inferior alveolar nerve block

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smith2007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone here tell me exactly how the inferior alveolar nerve block is given? Is it injected lateral or medial to the pterygomandibular raphe?

Also, how easy is it to damage the inferior alveolar nerve? ( or any other maxillary or mandibular nerves )

Any helpful replies would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

lateral to the raphe.

it's very hard to damage the nerve, unless you're a periodontist taking out third molars

tx oms said:
lateral to the raphe.

it's very hard to damage the nerve, unless you're a periodontist taking out third molars

no its lateral to the medial pterigoid muscle ..but medial to the pterygomandibular raphe..(Which is pushed laterally during the block).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm. You would have to really bend the needle or something to go medial to the raphe and then go way out lateral to hit bone. I guess it could be done but sounds more painful for some reason.

put your thumb on the external oblique line. bisect your thumbnail with the needle and have the syringe barrel between the contralateral premolars.

Samkamaal said:
no its lateral to the medial pterigoid muscle ..but medial to the pterygomandibular raphe..(Which is pushed laterally during the block).
Ummm.... no. Its lateral to the rahpe. That I know. Its late and I will probably regret putting this, but isn't it the superficial tendon that you push laterally?

oh yeah...then inject as fast as possible!

but medial to the pterygomandibular raphe..(Which is pushed laterally during the block).

Ouch!! Try it on yourself sometime.

Samkamaal said:
What? You are dumb. The raphe is a nonexistant anatomical line which seperates the superior constrictor muscle from the buccinator. The raphe is lateral to the mouth, the medial pterygoid is lateral to the raphe, and the nerve is lateral to the medial pterygoid, nit wit.

Samkamaal said:
What year are you? Just curious.

first year............undergrad ;)

Samkamaal said:
SAMKAMAAL
flap7%20copy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.