SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Influence of residency on career

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by captain crunch, Jun 27, 2002.

1. captain crunch

captain crunch Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 25, 2001
    MI
    Hi. I am wondering if anyone here can shed some light on something about which I've been curious for a while: to what extent does where you do your residency matter? You go to a good med school to better (hopefully) your chances of matching into a good residency, but how does the reputation of where you do your residency impact your career? I can see how being taught by and getting to know certain "big name" physicians could be important to those aspiring to careers in academic medicine, but if I'm just looking to enter a practice after residency, does having a "more prestigious" CV really do much to enhance my employability?
    If I know where I would like to practice medicine, would I be better off training at a solid yet unremarkable nearby hospital or a prestigious hospital elsewhere? Of course, I want to end up somewhere that I would be happy and somewhere that I feel would train me well, but I don't want to make any unnecessarily career-limiting choices either.
    I know these questions can't be answered matter-of-factly, but any musings on this subject matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. wake up sir your surgery is over

wake up sir your surgery is over Junior Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Yes it matters if you want to work in an affluent suburb of a major metropolitan city in a large group practice.

It doesn't matter for rural or inner city where they are in dire need of physicians.

I don't know about medium size cities.

These are of course generalizations.

4. dr.evil

dr.evil Senior Member Physician 7+ Year Member

Oct 30, 2001
    I've always been told that 50-75% of residents practice in the state they trained. So, I deduce (is that a word?) that you might think of training close to where you want to practice but of course it's not necessary.

5. Hornet871

Hornet871 Senior Member 15+ Year Member

May 22, 2002
    Mars
    Yup, "deduce" is a word. But I think you meant to write "suggest".

Sorry, but you asked.