info about Columbia clinical

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

speter33

S.D.N.'s Captain
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Columbia seems like a great school but there are a lot of rumors floating around about the lack of clinical training. On their website they boast how they start clinical training in the 2nd year and it's highly emphasized in the 3rd and 4th. It would be great if someone could share some of their personal experiences. What exactly is wrong with their clinical training if anything? What do you feel are the weak points? I'm sure current students (i.e stargirl, and others) could shed the most light here. I also know that the school is constantly undergoing changes. Is this a problem that has been or being corrected?

Members don't see this ad.

thanks for those question, I guess I'm not the only one who's been wondering about Columbia's clinical training.

Also while we are at it, how is the experience of having classes with medical students? Dental students who I've talked to (from other schools) all seem to think it could be a bad thing if the meds are incredibly competitive or the dents are like "second class citizens."

Originally posted by DDStoBe2008
thanks for those question, I guess I'm not the only one who's been wondering about Columbia's clinical training.

Also while we are at it, how is the experience of having classes with medical students? Dental students who I've talked to (from other schools) all seem to think it could be a bad thing if the meds are incredibly competitive or the dents are like "second class citizens."

taking classes w/ med students is only bad because of the volume of material you have to learn. honestly, 1st yr for me was doable and 2nd yr (to me) is much more difficult (but some of my classmmates think that this yr is a lot easier).

no matter what school you go to, you will learn the necessary clinical skills to graduate and pass the boards.

Stargirl I heard that students at Columbia do only one crown before graduation. Is that the case? What are the changes being made in columbia? How strong do u think the clinical training is?