Info about university of Utah program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Le fou

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anybody tell me more about the anesthesiology program at U of U? I am wondering if this is a malignant program, work hours, number of calls, atmosphere. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

You could always interview there and make a judgement for yourself. Some of the advantages of the Utah program are their emphasis on echocardiography, the proximity of 7 world class ski resorts within 35-40 minutes of campus (literally door to door), mtn biking, nat'l parks, road biking, hiking etc.. Re: the program itself, as I recall, the trauma is split between U of U and Intermountain Medical Center, and that most of the vehicular stuff goes to IMC, but hunting accident type penetrating trauma goes to the U. Re: work hours, etc I recall that it was not remarkable in being overly cush nor overly demanding.

Just interview there and make a decision based on your own gestalt, not the semi-anonymous postings of SDN-ers.

I'm a resident here. Utah is not malignant. The attendings are relatively young and motivated to teach. We don't see too much penetrating trauma, but we do get a lot of blunt trauma (ski, mountain bike, rock-climbing accidents). We don't have CRNA's to relieve us so our hours are less regular than other places may be. Our echo training is one of if not the best in the country; almost half our CA2's will take the TEE board this year. We probably have less out of OR didactics than some places, but our residents do well on boards. I usually get some sleep on call and our overnight calls are only 16 hours.

Last year we got 700 ft of snow at the resorts less than 30 min from the hospital, and the city stays mostly clear.

Hope this helped.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can anybody tell me more about the anesthesiology program at U of U? I am wondering if this is a malignant program, work hours, number of calls, atmosphere. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
I guess it depends on how you see the real world. Maybe they do work hard on some rotations in Utah, but it is nowhere near overwhelming according to my sources there. If you want a place where CRNAs replace you, then go for it. Hopefully they will not do the same later in life.

Residency is all about the experience. That takes hours and lots of hard work. You never know when finishing a case will yield a great educational experience (it could be a judgement call on when or whether to extubate; it could be a laryngospasm or full blown bronchospasm: it could be a post operative pain issue). If you gain these experiences and learn how hard you can work during residency, you can always find an easier (or harder) job when you graduate. Residency is a time to test yourself.

I wish I could have gotten in there. They really care about pushing residents to the next level with great cases, excellent TEE, TTE and regional skills. I went to a busy program and every case taught me something. You want this kind of experience. It is only three years and you are in a protected environment. If you use your time well, you will find that you have enough time in any busy program. This may mean not watching TV, reading the news or knowing who is going to the Superbowl. If one can't live without these things, he/she may want to consider the calling of a physician. Surely, there are easier specialties to enter which offer more free time and predictability. In my book, if you want to be the best, you go for the experience with good clinical material, lots of it, pressure to stay focused on residency for 3 short years and the world is yours after that.

My two cents.

I'm a resident here. Utah is not malignant. The attendings are relatively young and motivated to teach. We don't see too much penetrating trauma, but we do get a lot of blunt trauma (ski, mountain bike, rock-climbing accidents). We don't have CRNA's to relieve us so our hours are less regular than other places may be. Our echo training is one of if not the best in the country; almost half our CA2's will take the TEE board this year. We probably have less out of OR didactics than some places, but our residents do well on boards. I usually get some sleep on call and our overnight calls are only 16 hours.

Last year we got 700 ft of snow at the resorts less than 30 min from the hospital, and the city stays mostly clear.

Hope this helped.

That sounds horrible.

:p

Thanks,

You must be mormon, grow horns, and have min 4 wives and 8 children....

just interview and draw your own conclusions.... or believe what you read above...

Pretty sure his post that "does not even make sense" was full of sarcasm. Post made sense to me.

It's horrible when the ski resorts get 700 inches of snow. And it's horrible that SLC has 300+ sunny days a year.

Get it?

Pretty sure his post that "does not even make sense" was full of sarcasm. Post made sense to me.

It's horrible when the ski resorts get 700 inches of snow. And it's horrible that SLC has 300+ sunny days a year.

Get it?

Finally, someone who understands double negative sarcasm.

On the other hand, some might not like that much snow or that many sunny days.

Best kept secret town in the West...NOT.

It has not been secret since the Olympics. Highways redone, commutes easy, public facilities for sports open and accessible. Feel sorry for those who have to spend hours in a car just to get home.

SL UT rocks!

You must be mormon, grow horns, and have min 4 wives and 8 children....

This is not even close to true. They have reduced the required number of children to 6.

I love SLC by the way. The Shins, Head and the Heart, Blind Pilot - are playing at the U on memorial day - sooooo wish I could go.

I think he meant that Utah residents obviously don't know what sarcasm is....and that indeed does sound horrible.

:p

Whatever. At least they seem ready to face the real world, sarcasm or not. They are tough, bright residents in anyones book. More power to those who can see reality!

Whatever. At least they seem ready to face the real world, sarcasm or not. They are tough, bright residents in anyones book. More power to those who can see reality!

Yes, they seem very tough on the big internetz. :p

And yes, bright as well.

Sounds like DA BEST PROGRAM IN THE US, SECOND TO NONE.

Except Cleveland Clinic, amirite?

Y u mad bro? :p

Us folks in the "Real World" might argue that if you don't understand sarcasm in medicine, you are NOT ready.

Utah is a great program. Anyone that isnt a dumb*@#! knows this.

The reality is......:p:thumbdown:p

Us folks in the "Real World" might argue that if you don't understand sarcasm in medicine, you are NOT ready.

Utah is a great program. Anyone that isnt a dumb*@#! knows this.

The reality is......:p:thumbdown:p

RIght on!

If you are at the top of your game and have all the skills from any decent program, you will be hard to replace. Not many hospitals are dumb enough to replace their best players with less well-trained folks. Residency is the time to learn all this. Lots of good programs will afford you this opportunity.

Lifestylers beware: They are not going to pay you 300-500K to be an "also ran."