Info dumping, need help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cryhavoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It just seems like we're learning too much in a tiny period of time for me to enter things into long-term memory. I'm doing fine on my exams but I feel like I forget a lot a few weeks later.

And it isn't just me, I notice a lot of my classmates drawing a blank on stuff too. Like an anatomy professor might ask us a question from a several months ago and just draw blank stares from a big group.

Honestly, I want to score well on my boards in the future and I want to be a good physician. But I spend so much time cramming new information that I have zero time for reinforcing old information.

I need tips and advice for that. Also, do you really remember everything you ever learned? How? Is it just relearning it with board prep books?

I take COMLEX 1 in 1 year and I refuse to fail it. I want to attack this problem now (and over the summer). But it seems like my memory has trouble remembering what I had for breakfast, let alone side effect number 8 of 30 for some obscure drug we learned 4 months ago.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The bs that they emphasize in classes are really for brain dumping. I personally download Bros deck and hit the cards for every finished blocks.

I chuckle at bs emphasized by anatomists in class.

The bs that they emphasize in classes are really for brain dumping. I personally download Bros deck and hit the cards for every finished blocks.

Anatomists usually have insufferable views on education theory.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also next year you'll dump more information after each class than you dumped all of first year ( not including anatomy).

Also next year you'll dump more information after each class than you dumped all of first year ( not including anatomy).

I suppose this makes me feel better. I just have a deep fear of being secretly incompetent. Being a healer is my number one goal in life. All I do is study. I sometimes can't tell if we're actually expected/required to learn every tiny detail forever and I'm just too stupid to keep it all in my head, OR if they're hazing us/pushing us by making it seem like we should know everything, so that we constantly work at it. Either way I'm going to continue to work my very hardest but the former worries me.

I've heard of bro decks in passing. I should look into it.

I suppose this makes me feel better. I just have a deep fear of being secretly incompetent. Being a healer is my number one goal in life. All I do is study. I sometimes can't tell if we're actually expected/required to learn every tiny detail forever and I'm just too stupid to keep it all in my head, OR if they're hazing us/pushing us by making it seem like we should know everything, so that we constantly work at it. Either way I'm going to continue to work my very hardest but the former worries me.

I spend 80% of my day feeling incompetent and then 20% of it watching cat videos to forget that I am incompetent.

But honestly, you're not going to remember every single detail. No one is expecting you to honestly. My brain would likely explode if I remembered every detail of pathology I learned from Robbins this year.

Reactions: 1 user
Last week I went to a specialty club meeting and the attendings pimped us a bit on ankle anatomy... I've forgotten everything. Definitely had some imposter syndrome going on when a lot of classmates seemed to remember the answers.

Last week I went to a specialty club meeting and the attendings pimped us a bit on ankle anatomy... I've forgotten everything. Definitely had some imposter syndrome going on when a lot of classmates seemed to remember the answers.

I feel like muscle anatomy in particular is the worst. I can remember easily in my head where muscles are, but their names or functions or innervations, nope.

Celts can I just say you're one of my favorite sdn users?

From my own experience working with so many doctors in undergrad, you usually remember 50% of what you learned in med school by the time you graduate. As long as you're competent enough to pass the boards and be good at your own specialty you'll be fine. No one expects you to remember every detail of anatomy class especially if it does not pertain to your specialty. Hope this helps.