Info inside

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChargerMatt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight. Currently I am getting my undergrad in public health and was tinkering with the idea of staying a couple extra semesters and enrolling in the science prerequisites needed to apply for medical school.

I am convinced that I will be taking these science classes, that was just a little background. My main concern is about the time between my undergrad and medical school. My GPA is 3.53 which isn't the greatest, but my school of choice prefers students with less-than-perfect GPAs enrolled in non-premed studies. GPA aside, my future plans are to work in humanitarian relief in some fashion - whether it be with the CDC, World Bank, or other agency. My public health degree has really opened my eyes to the quality of life differences around the world. That being said, when I finish my undergrad/science prerequisites I plan on doing a stint in the Peace Corps for the 27 month term.

One of my concerns is when should I apply for medical school? Do I apply before and defer enrollment for the 2+ years or do I take the MCAT when I get back then enroll?

Does anyone have any suggestions, ideas, or comments? I'd much appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

I think schools give, at the most, a 1 year deferment and it has to be for a "good" reason. The chances of getting a 2 year deferment for something voluntary like Peace Corps are very slim.

Deferment is almost a zero chance here. If you want to do the PC now, do it. If you want to do med school now, do it. Apply when you are done with PC, it will be a very positive EC for you. At that point get a 26+ on your MCAT and you are golden if DO schools are your goal.