Info on Bayonne Medical Center

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Miromd

Reaction score
Hey guys,

4th year DO student here. I've been trying to look everywhere but info online is really lacking. I have an interview coming up at Bayonne Medical Center for IM and wanted to see if anyone knows about it. I'm from the north jersey area and hope to stay loyal. Most I see is they do have ACGME accreditation and a GI fellowship in house.

Anyone know about it? Quality? Education? Pathology? Culture? Are they doing NMS or NMRP? Don't know what to expect.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Quality?
- lots of metrics define quality. Day of interview take a peak at nursing staff, ask if u do scut work, see if there are dictation microphones available, whats the emr, pay, benefits

Education?
- ultimately education boils down to u, but some ppl like to see in-house fellowships as a marker of dedication to teaching. Others view non-teaching service as a marker.

Pathology?
Everyone says the have the best pathology. Acgme has strict rules. In theory, all programs will give baseline knowledge.

Culture?
NJ/NYC. Tread lightly.

Are they doing NMS or NMRP?
Ask on ur interview day

Don't know what to expect.
Go in open minded. Bird in the hand is better than 2 in the bush.

Iono what ur future plans are, but if it was me? Id rank based on:
- prestige > free time away from work to pursue what i want > my vibes for how happy i think ill be/social life > benefits >>>>> specific location

Sent from my SM-G930T using SDN mobile

I have had some experience with this place. The hospital is weak and programs are new from my impressions a few years ago. I would recommend Palisades Medical Center above this program. PMC has association with Hackensack Medical Center. Also Englewood medical center will provide better overall medical education but doesn't have in-house GI program.

Bayonne GME was disorganized, hospital didn't have enough patients when I was there for a rotation. GI program involves running around to different hospitals to see enough patient. Not an ideal place to train. Look into Rowan as well, think they have a GI program.

I am a DO in a GI program that has dual accreditation so you know where this is coming from but one thought to keep in mind in looking towards the future. You will be competing against MD (IMG and Allopathic) for fellowship spots. These former DO programs that have dual accreditation have no allegiance to taking DO. Old days of supporting DO is gone. They take people with best scores and 1st author publications (don't care about case reports).

It is tougher so ultimately you may have a slight better chance from in-house program but by how much? I don't know, ask at your Bayonne program if any internal candidates were recruited into GI program or anywhere else you interview, that will give you a good barometer of what the future holds.

Just my two cents, good luck with match!