Info on learning Spanish in Costa Rica?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

4th yr Fellow

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning a trip to Costa Rica to take one of those intensive spanish courses. Being a doc in CA is almost impossible if you don't know spanish. But there are so many programs to choose from. Does anyone know anything about the programs? Do you know anyone who has gone, and what did they think?

I would appreciate any info on this topic.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You will love Costa Rica!!!! If i had to chose one place in the entire world to live it would be Santa Ana, Costa Rica!!! Pura jungla!!! I am a spanish major and did a program through the University of Utah and Conversa (i think this is the name of the program there). It is the most beautiful place in the world!! Some musts are Volcan Arenal & Tortugero. Up at Arenal, do a canopy tour-- you scale up 180 ft and fly from one tree top to another at the canopy of the jungle. Going to a country is the ulitmate way of learning the language. I'm going to Chile this summer but would trade you in a heartbeat!! YOU'LL LOVE IT!!

You'll do pretty well in just about any program, providing you apply yourself and immerse into the language. Problem with Costa Rica vs other parts of Central America is its very easy (well, easier) to get by on english. Avoid the temptation to hang around with english speaking expats and other college age backpacking tourists, and you'll get more out of the experience.

Costa Rica is a great place, moy bonito! Try to get away from the Pacific coast (crowded) and head to the carribean side for a real treat!

hey 4th yr fellow,

i did a study abroad program in costa rica where i was able to study spanish in the afternoons and volunteer at the children's hospital during the day. i went through my school, but the institute i studied at was called ICADS and was located in san jose, costa rica. the people at ICADS set everything up for me, and we were placed into groups of no more than three people to learn spanish. i learned a lot in 6 weeks. hope that helps.