info on ortho programs in the southeast?-musc, uab, ut, vanderbilt, uga

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FreezinInBoston

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone! I'm new to this- I'm a third year dental student and will be applying to ortho residencies this fall.

I was wondering if anyone knows anything or has visited these particular residencies for orthodontics-
MUSC, UAB, UTenn, Vanderbilt, UGA

If you go to any or have visited I would really like to hear your opinion of the programs! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

MUSC= Brand new program so probably not much is out there on this program; 1st class will start this summer

Vanderbilt= Great city to live in; Motto of the program "See 1, Do 1, Teach 1": To me, this meant that there wasn't enough faculty or structure for the program

UAB= Great city to live in once again; 3 years; Good even distribution of clinic and research; Great faculty; Lots of techniques utilized; FYI: I do not attend this program, but went to dental school there

UGA= UGA does not have a program, you are probably asking of MCG (Medical College of Georgia); Augusta is not the greatest place to be, but anyone can live anywhere for 2-3 years and to be called an orthodontist; Good well-rounded program; If you are not from South Carolina or Georgia, chances are slim to none that you will get in there

UTenn= Memphis campus is kind of in the ghetto; a lot of wire-bending/Tweed

MUSC= Brand new program so probably not much is out there on this program; 1st class will start this summer

Vanderbilt= Great city to live in; Motto of the program "See 1, Do 1, Teach 1": To me, this meant that there wasn't enough faculty or structure for the program

UAB= Great city to live in once again; 3 years; Good even distribution of clinic and research; Great faculty; Lots of techniques utilized; FYI: I do not attend this program, but went to dental school there

UGA= UGA does not have a program, you are probably asking of MCG (Medical College of Georgia); Augusta is not the greatest place to be, but anyone can live anywhere for 2-3 years and to be called an orthodontist; Good well-rounded program; If you are not from South Carolina or Georgia, chances are slim to none that you will get in there

UTenn= Memphis campus is kind of in the ghetto; a lot of wire-bending/Tweed

Oh, thanks! I was so confused about MUSC because it wasnt listed on the ADA sites but was on their webpage. Do you think it's safe to go to a brand new school? Were UAB ortho students happy? did you like the city? they consider out of state? where are you now?

thanks for the reply! I appreciate it. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, thanks! I was so confused about MUSC because it wasnt listed on the ADA sites but was on their webpage. Do you think it's safe to go to a brand new school? Were UAB ortho students happy? did you like the city? they consider out of state? where are you now?

thanks for the reply! I appreciate it. :)
I think a new program has it's ups and downs. You get to start a precendent at a program and start shaping its reputation; you finish as an orthodontist just like everyone else. Even so, you worry about the structure of a program. Saying that, there are programs out there that have been around for years which are not as structured as they could be.
The UAB residents do seem pretty happy in general. They get a great education. The city is smaller than Boston, New York, Atlanta, etc., but has a lot of things to do; it has a real home town feel. Being a state institution they give preference to UAB applicants.