info on the wait list

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by molecular-bio guy, Jun 9, 2001.

1. molecular-bio guy

molecular-bio guy Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

does anyone know when they pulled from the wait list last year, I heard that they have taken everyone off the list for the past couple years (which may mean nothing, but seems hopeful). what kind of MCAT scores did everyone have. I had Bio-9, PHY-9, Verbal-7. if i don't get in, I was thinking about re-taking the MCAT :eek: Should I bother to retake it or just hope?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    mbg,

WELCOME TO SDN!!! :D I hope you enjoy the company of many that were or are in the same situation as you are and those that may have their two cents to share with you, such as myself....

How many waitlist did you get into and are waiting for?

GPA and MCAT Numbers don't tell everything, I'm sure you know that.

But if I was in your situation, I would start getting back into the MCAT mode and retake it. But don't forget that you are in the waitlist. Call the medical schools and get some feedback about your status. Ask them what type of things can you do at this point that may help in your favor for an admission.... a letter of recommendation, updated transcripts, or anything of the like....

I say, don't lose hope but also be realistic in your situation. The MCAT's are coming around soon again and you most definitely need to start thinking about retaking it.

Don't force yourself to retake the MCAT and don't be in a situation that your psyche is not ready for it.... lower MCAT for your second try may not.... let me say... WILL NOT.... work in your favor if you reapply with a lower second score.

With that said, if you're not ready to retake the MCAT's again, then I say take it in April instead and wait for what will happen with your status now. Otherwise, get ready for another round of MCAT's and remain hopeful that you might not need to continue with it and get accepted.

If I was not clear in any of my suggestion, please let me know and I'll clarify. Otherwise, if I can be of other service just post up and I'll find it....

Later,
    P :cool:

4. molecular-bio guy

molecular-bio guy Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

thanx for replying, popoy! I'm on 2 waitlists. 1 for MSU-COM and another for Wayne State University (MD in detroit). The MCAT is pretty daunting to take AGAIN, but at least i'll be ready for it, just in case if I need it. I heard that from MSU-COM they have taken everyone off the waitlist from the past couple years (from the admissions dept.) and when I interviewed there, they called someone the week before school started that was previously rejected! That makes me feel only a little better because the past couple years are just that, the past. I just want to be prepared in case they don't take everyone off the list.
    Another thing if that they do have a small waitlist, which is ~ 25 (I am #18). Wayne state, on the other hand waitlists around 250-300 people. Do the other schools have small or large waitlists?
    The other thing you mentioned is taking the april MCAT. I am 25 now, and will be 26 in october. By taking the april MCAT, I will have to apply 2 years from now, and with the august MCAT, i can apply next year. The age thing is my main concern! Thanks for the original reply and for any future ones!
    later! :p

5. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It looks like you're in pretty good footing with MSUCOM.... I'll cross my finger for you.... I hope you get it.

As for other schools length of waitlist... I'm not the one to answer that....

I guess you're pretty much stuck in taking the August MCAT, huh?! Well, good luck to you buddy....

If anyone else has any thoughts on mbg's situation please post up....