Info on TUCOM- Nevada Rotations...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocBannister

DocBannister
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently thinking about transfering from UNECOM to TUCOM-Nevada. I know that the Nevada site is very new, but I do not know how the rotations work. I know that all of the core rotations are done around Las Vegas and 4th year is where ever you want... but, can anyone tell me anything more??? Are there exams (that you must pass) after ever rotation?? Do you know how are you evaluated on rotations?? Do you know how electives work?? And (lastly) do you know when/where/how the OMM rotation works??

Also, are there any thoughts about the school (admin, students, etc). Are you happy there... would you recommend transfering??

Any thoughs/suggestions/comments would be great. Thanks ~ :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

It is a great school; we are currently building a new huge facility for the PA/Nursing/OT programs. We also have a very unique research center called MARIN that shares our building.

Las Vegas has a shortage of health care workers and we are working to explore this niche; however, rotation sites are not completely worked out. Next year, or first class will reach OMS-III status and the rotation sites will be ready for them. We currently have third and fourth year students from the Mare Island campus "beta testing" some of the rotation sites. Talking with them, they seem pleased with their sites.

To answer your questions regarding testing, I have heard that we will be given shelf exams, but I am not completely sure. I am sorry I do not have any more information regarding our rotations, but I am just trying to get through my first year.

As with any new school you will have "growing pains", but the faculty is working with us to make our education and medical school experience "top notch".

Good luck to you and to anyone reading this post... :)

Where do you and the CA TOURO students rotate in Vegas?
I am from Vegas and want to do more rotations back home during my fourth year. I am a third year now at AZCOM.
Does touro allow visiting students to rotate at their sites??? Thanks!!

Chuck
AZCOM 2007

Members don't see this ad :)
DocBannister said:
Do you know how electives work?? And (lastly) do you know when/where/how the OMM rotation works??

OMM rotation?? Glad we don't have that...

(nicedream) said:
OMM rotation?? Glad we don't have that...
It's actually a pretty chill , 9 - 5 rotation.

TUNCOM doesn't have an OMM rotation. As far as I know, most of the Vegas rotations are preceptor based, which means that they don't happen in the realm of an "academic" hospital. In essence, you have one doctor you work with, who gives you your grade. There are no interns or residents. Vegas currently doesn't have a lot of residency slots. There are a handful in IM and ER, but not a whole lot else. I know that UN-Reno has UMC (big trauma center), but they're not crazy about giving up the slots that their students have. It'll be interesting to see how 3rd year works out next year. I assume, like most things at TUNCOM, that some of it will be good and some will be a nightmare. But that's what happens when you're a brand new school.

Elysium said:
TUNCOM doesn't have an OMM rotation. As far as I know, most of the Vegas rotations are preceptor based, which means that they don't happen in the realm of an "academic" hospital. In essence, you have one doctor you work with, who gives you your grade. There are no interns or residents. Vegas currently doesn't have a lot of residency slots. There are a handful in IM and ER, but not a whole lot else. I know that UN-Reno has UMC (big trauma center), but they're not crazy about giving up the slots that their students have. It'll be interesting to see how 3rd year works out next year. I assume, like most things at TUNCOM, that some of it will be good and some will be a nightmare. But that's what happens when you're a brand new school.
A number of hospitals are interested/have signed agreements to host our med students, the list was supposed to be released last week but I haven't seen it yet. Apparently we are able to do rotations at UMC (yes, the UN-Reno rotation site), St Rose, and a number of others. There are also a number of clinicians that want to work with us.
While there are no residents at most of these facilities, that does give us an opportunity to work directly with the attendings on the service - plusses and minuses. That's one of the reasons I decided to attend TUNCOM.
Vegas currently does not have an EM residnency - a group is trying to start one, which I would love. Currently in LV (at UMC) there are residnencies in: IM, FP, OB/Gyn, surgery, peds, psych. Hopefully having another 100+ med students in LV (UN-Reno has about 50 split b/w LV & Reno) will prompt expansion of current residencies and formation of new ones.

Touro Mare Island students have been rotating in the Las Vegas area for a while now even before Touro Nevada was established. The OP was correct in saying that all core rotations must be completed in the Las Vegas area. Our rotations are set up in blocks. There are 13 blocks, 10 of which are core rotations, 2 elective blocks, and 1 vacation block.

Block 1 (June 19-July 16)
Block 2 (July 17- Aug 13)
Block 3 (Aug 14- Sep 10)
Block 4 (Sep 11- Oct 8)
Block 5 (Oct 9- Nov 5)
Block 6 (Nov 6- Dec 3)
Block 7 (Dec 4- Dec 31)
Block 8 (Jan 1-Jan 28)
Block 9 (Jan 29-Feb 25)
Block 10 (Feb 26-Mar 25)
Block 11 (Mar 26-Apr 22)
Block 12 (Apr 23-May 20)
Block 13 (May 21-Jun 17)

We also have been asked to rank our preferred hospital sites as well:
UMC will take 20 students
Valley will take 35 students
St. Rose will take 20 students

Sunrise will also be another location available to us before we start OMS III.

BOX29 (hello Amado) has good info. Here is some more. We must do our 3rd year in the Las Vegas area and there are spots for all of us at TUNCOM. I'm not sure about the MI students but I assume since we have the spots we will not be worrying about them. I'm not. Also note, UMC does not have to "give up" spots. The spots have been created for us through contracts and will be filled by TUNCOM students.

We will have the choice between Sunrise, St. Rose and UMC/Valley for our rotations.

We have 13 blocks: 2 Internal Medicine, 2 General Surgery, 1 Peds, 1 OB/GYN, 1 Psych, 1 ER/ Primary Care, 2 Electives and 1 Vacation

We have two electives to chose: Anesthesia, Allergy, Cardiology, Derm, Endo, Forensic, GI, Gyn/Onc, Heme/Onc, Pulmonology, Nephrology, Neurology, OMM, Ophthal, Ortho, Pain Mgmt, Peds-Specialty, Plastics, Radiology, Rheumatology and Urology. Note there is an OMM rotation to correct the above post, if you choose.

They are going to be talking with us on what to expect and help answer our questions sometime in the weeks to come. Remember we don't have third or fourth years (regardless of the MI's) so we'll be trail blazing here at TUNCOM. We have not heard anything yet on fourth year so I will not comment on that until we are told something as a class, in writing. I would take comments with a grain of salt from those who have supposedly heard something :rolleyes: Wait for it to be confirmed.

Hope this helps.

Nik