Info on Univ North Texas (TCOM) Medical Masters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well there is no guarantee. If your average MCAT and GPA are slightly lower than the MD average you can try reapplying early (sep) this upcoming cycle. As an early candidate, the admissions staff tend to be less picky since there are far fewer applications to consider for inviting to an interview. Med Schools will not have any grades from your performance in med sci until you complete a semester and submit the transcript to TMDSAS. They will assess your application with the current undergraduate GPA and MCAT scores.
ii6iY
I know some people have emailed med schools updating their progress. I don't know if this is the appropriate thing to do.
Totally agree with everything you said. But I do know that some schools in Texas do not mind if you email them with updates. Call and talk to someone in the admission office and see what they say.

Members don't see this ad.

Anybody apply for this program for next summer, yet? I've done everything except for the transcripts and LoRs, all of which are in the mail already, to be sent to UNT.

Maybe I'll even be complete before 11/1!

Also, this thread slowed way down, and no one said that they were rejected. So I'm wondering how many people were rejected...

I'm also applying for next summer! I submitted everything last week, I'm just waiting for my application to be processed. Hopefully it will be completed in the next few days! I'm pretty nervous!

They never sent me any user credentials either and my application has been complete for about 5 weeks I think. According to admissions they are having some technical difficulties sending out user info to some of the applicants. When they finish reviewing your file they will send you an e-mail about their decision.
MhX8nd
Don't worry so much about the portal info if you don't get it at all. If you want to check with them periodically then don't hesitate its their job to keep you informed
They never sent me any user credentials either and my application has been complete for about 5 weeks I think. According to admissions they are having some technical difficulties sending out user info to some of the applicants. When they finish reviewing your file they will send you an e-mail about their decision. Don't worry so much about the portal info if you don't get it at all. If you want to check with them periodically then don't hesitate its their job to keep you informed :)

Members don't see this ad :)
They never sent me any user credentials either and my application has been complete for about 5 weeks I think. According to admissions they are having some technical difficulties sending out user info to some of the applicants. When they finish reviewing your file they will send you an e-mail about their decision. Don't worry so much about the portal info if you don't get it at all. If you want to check with them periodically then don't hesitate its their job to keep you informed :)

That's good to know! So I know in previous cycles applicants were finding out decisions around March, do you think there's a chance we could be finding out sooner this cycle?

OOS looking at this program. Sent everything in last week except Fall grades which won't be posted til Dec 28!

Not excited about the long wait I'll have in hearing back but such is life

Anybody apply for this program for next summer, yet? I've done everything except for the transcripts and LoRs, all of which are in the mail already, to be sent to UNT.

Maybe I'll even be complete before 11/1!

Also, this thread slowed way down, and no one said that they were rejected. So I'm wondering how many people were rejected...
I'm finishing up my application now! I've actually just started a new thread for this application cycle! Let's all get on there so we can share and help each other out!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/unthsc-ms-med-sci-program-2013-2014.1041706/

Question for those who have started/finished the application: Do you guys know if we have to write our responses to the essay questions in paragraph format? Can we bullet the answers to our clinical experience/research question and the volunteer experiences question?

Does anyone know what the class schedule is like for each semester? I've seen the course list for each on their website but wondering how many days a week you're in class and for what time.

Totally agree with everything you said. But I do know that some schools in Texas do not mind if you email them with updates. Call and talk to someone in the admission office and see what they say.
Hi

I submitted my application along with supplemental documents by 11/22/2013. Has anyone received any news on when the review process starts or know when decisions get made?

The application period is until the 15th of March. The information session indicated that they will begin to send the applicants status sometime after the 15th until the start of the program. If you have questions your best contact would be Jessica brewer.

Anybody who completed this program have any insight on what you gained from it? I'd love to hear your experiences. I have heard mixed reviews from friends, some praise it while others curse it. Some say its SO helpful while others say it is useless, unorganized, and excessively difficult to maintain a good GPA. Not sure what to think! I would like as many opinions as possible so that I can make my decision quick whether or not I will attend in May. Thanks guys!

Anybody who completed this program have any insight on what you gained from it? I'd love to hear your experiences. I have heard mixed reviews from friends, some praise it while others curse it. Some say its SO helpful while others say it is useless, unorganized, and excessively difficult to maintain a good GPA. Not sure what to think! I would like as many opinions as possible so that I can make my decision quick whether or not I will attend in May. Thanks guys!

I take my last exam tomorrow, and so far I have a 4.0. Let me say that I've always been an average student (undergrad GPA was around a 3.5), but if I think if you really put everything you've got into the program, a good GPA is obtainable. I'm bridge so I can't speak on the application process, but I can say that this program definitely has prepared me for medical school. The med scis that matriculated into TCOM are always at the top of their class. The first year student that is ranked #1 right now at TCOM is a med sci alumni. I really think it's a great program if you have a gap year and are looking to improve your application. From what I hear, Texas schools all think very highly of this program. Hope that helps!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I take my last exam tomorrow, and so far I have a 4.0. Let me say that I've always been an average student (undergrad GPA was around a 3.5), but if I think if you really put everything you've got into the program, a good GPA is obtainable. I'm bridge so I can't speak on the application process, but I can say that this program definitely has prepared me for medical school. The med scis that matriculated into TCOM are always at the top of their class. The first year student that is ranked #1 right now at TCOM is a med sci alumni. I really think it's a great program if you have a gap year and are looking to improve your application. From what I hear, Texas schools all think very highly of this program. Hope that helps!

How do we know if we are bridge?

Thanks for help!

How do we know if we are bridge?

Thanks for help!

I applied to TCOM, interviewed and then on match day my status remained under review (I was not wait listed). I called to find out what was going on and they told me, but they usually send letters to those that are chosen for bridge. I have heard that they are thinking of getting rid of the program though, so I'm not sure if they've done that yet or not..

The program is pretty good, however it is by no means a guarantee that you will get into TCOM or any other school. There are plenty of people who finish in the 3.5 gpa range and don't make it into the next class at TCOM, so if you are going to do the program you need to keep an open mind about the schools that you apply to. There are quite a few people from this program in medical school all over the country who may not have been as qualified as other people in their MedSci class, but got in because they applied out of state.

As far as the difficulty of the program goes you will study more than you ever have in your life, but not as much as you will need to study in medical school. The people you are in class with represent some of the best students in the state and the program grades on a curve, meaning that you need to stay in the top 20% or so to get an A. The program can be extremely disorganized at time but life is messy being able to cope with it and perform is part of the difficulty, in my experience medical school can be similar, busy people are trying to constantly rework packed schedules. I'm not sure how much this program helped me with my basic science performance during first year, but what it did do was teach me about myself and let me know I was capable of pushing myself beyond what I had thought was possible. To me that is the biggest advantage of the program and it is what will give you a leg up on others in your class during first year.

Reactions: 1 users
@MurphysLaww thanks for your insight!
I was under the impression that if you couldn't get in in-state then your chances OOS are much slimmer. Do you have an idea which schools are the ones that your classmates got into OOS?

I just finished the program with a 4.0, and I've been on TCOM's waitlist since February. Maybe I screwed up during my interviews. Who knows. However, I'm sure my med sci grades will help for the 2014-2015 application cycle. And the program is definitely doable if you don't have any other responsibilities like a job; I still had some free time to hang out with people and chill when I wasn't studying during the program.

Reactions: 2 users
The program is far easier than med school, in my opinion. It will be helpful, at least for your first semester of med school. I was a well below average student in undergrad, I was smart, but I never tried that hard and I also had a difficult major. My science GPA was under 3.0 and my cumulative GPA was just above a 3.0. I got a 3.94 in MedSci, and I got in the 97th percentile on the MCAT. Even though I got interviews my first time applying, there was no way I was getting into med school without Med Sci. And it worked in the end.

You will have far more free time in med sci than you will in med school - at least that has been my experience so far. And if you end up accepted to TCOM, you will do a lot better than if you were accepted to another school.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: 1 user
I was under the impression that if you couldn't get in in-state then your chances OOS are much slimmer. Do you have an idea which schools are the ones that your classmates got into OOS?
OOS DO schools, most likely. LECOM, AT Still COM, AZCOM, etc.

Anybody that was previously on the waitlist before that was accepted know what the movement is like on it??? I was put on the waitlist last thursday and still haven't heard anything seeing as how orientation is next wednesday in growing weary of my chances :/

has anyone ever been accepted past orientation?
Doubt it. But, if you're really motivated you should call them up and ask if anyone dropped out last minute and you can take their spot. It worked for a classmate of one of the doctors I used to work for. She called the first day of orientation, and they said if you can be at the school before the end of the day she could join the class.

Its a lot easier to get into OOS DO schools. I wouldn't even recommend doing an SMP if you're going to apply OOS for D.O., retake classes you did bad in and save yourself the time and $$$.

Is it true that 100% of students with GPA 3.5 or above in the program get into med school? Is it also true that only 20% of students can get A's in each class? Thank you.

OOS DO schools, most likely. LECOM, AT Still COM, AZCOM, etc.

Sorry I didn't see this any sooner.
LECOM, AZCOM, A.T. Still-Arizona (ATSU), ACOM, Georgia PCOM, LMU-DCOM, U of Illinois-COM, Rocky Vista, William Carey (WCUCOM), WVCOM, & VCOM.

I had really good experiences with the admissions staff at Rocky Vista & West Virginia. They went as far as telling me all the faults with my application and proof reading new personal statements for me. I would recommend e-mailing them for an application review, if you are still wait-listed in April/May. I didn't go to either of those schools, but they were both helpful and polite. Some schools will ignore the request, some will just tell you things that you already know and can do nothing about, but a few will be constructive and helpful so its worth a shot late in the year when they have time to do things like that.

Is it true that 100% of students with GPA 3.5 or above in the program get into med school? Is it also true that only 20% of students can get A's in each class? Thank you.

I would say No on both accounts. If you have a 3.5 and make a 19 on your MCAT you will have a hard time getting into any school b/c they will assume you have trouble with big cumulative exams and thus will not be able to pass the boards. The 3.5 is also not a guarantee to get into TCOM, there were several in our class that didn't get in with that high of a GPA. The 20% of students getting A's isn't really a thing. When I was there they curved every test to an 85% if the class average was more than a few points below 85%. If the Standard Deviation is below 5 only ~15-16% of the class would get an "A". But they didn't cap people from getting an A. If you make a 90 and the class average is a 90, they aren't moving it down to 85% to lower the amount of A's. Just know the next test will probably be harder.

I would say No on both accounts. If you have a 3.5 and make a 19 on your MCAT you will have a hard time getting into any school b/c they will assume you have trouble with big cumulative exams and thus will not be able to pass the boards. The 3.5 is also not a guarantee to get into TCOM, there were several in our class that didn't get in with that high of a GPA. The 20% of students getting A's isn't really a thing. When I was there they curved every test to an 85% if the class average was more than a few points below 85%. If the Standard Deviation is below 5 only ~15-16% of the class would get an "A". But they didn't cap people from getting an A. If you make a 90 and the class average is a 90, they aren't moving it down to 85% to lower the amount of A's. Just know the next test will probably be harder.

Oh ok thank you very much, that was very helpful. I know that some places will curve down, I just wanted to make sure that this is not the case. I see that it worked out well for you that is good. I am thinking about it, thank you.