Info on Univ North Texas (TCOM) Medical Masters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes I called and emailed. They will also be mailing formal letters on Monday.

I see. Does anybody know if there has been any movement in the waitlist last year, or in the previous admission cycles?

Members don't see this ad.

Page 3!! Finally!! It's just a waiting game. Basically we wait for those who decide to go elsewhere or have received late acceptances for med school. Only they know the ranking of waitlisted applicants.

It may be too early but for those of you that got accepted and live in the F. Worth area, where will you be living? I need to start looking into that because I live 2 hrs away in East TX and school starts in a little over a month.

Members don't see this ad :)
Heck it's never too early! This program is cutting it close. When is tuition due?! I would imagine they'd have some type of emergency loans available.

Congrats to all who received acceptances! Do y'all know if they accept pre-dents into the program or is it strictly for pre-meds?

You are right. It is never too early. If you are accepted or waitlisted the best advice I can give is to make sure you go on the fafsa website or call fafsa and have them send your fafsa report to the school. If you haven't filled the fafsa yet then do so now. It is going to be a mad scramble to get situated and get financial aid and all. Make sure you stay on top of your game folks. For those waiting, spots will open up. I will keep you in my prayers. I wish I didn't have a month of school left before I finish my current program. I really need to hit that MCAT.

Hey congrats to everyone that got accepted! I look foward to spending a year with everyone down in FW. Any fellow Texas Tech students get accepted?

For those of you who didnt get in (like myself :( ) and for those who are on the waitlist (I'm praying for you!) Please check out the topic/forum about the new UTD cert. program...it sure gave me some hope!

For those of you who didnt get in (like myself :( ) and for those who are on the waitlist (I'm praying for you!) Please check out the topic/forum about the new UTD cert. program...it sure gave me some hope!

Hello, can you pls give a link to this forum? Thanks!

Waitlisted. It sucks that they are not going to start offering open seats to waitlisters until April 27th ... b.c it would be great to be able to attend the Preview Day on April 25th, if we do get in.

Then again ... I would be perfectly fine with being accepted on May 19th, than not being accepted at all!

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone is interested, I am selling all of my textbooks for the whole year for $250.00. This includes your books for Biochemistry, Epidemiology, Cell Biology, Physiology, Biostatistics, and all of the Anatomy books (except Netters because I'll need that in medical school). Some of the books are the most currrent versions and some aren't but the ones that aren't the most current are still the same book by the same author, just a little older. PM me if you're interested and spread the word. :)

Nice... too bad I'm on the waitlist! I dont think you'd have much trouble selling them though as it's the perfect time to do so.

dude I didn't get in and am surprised, i've gotten into much tougher SMPs such as georgetown, BU, etc and am from texas but didnt get into TCOM's post bac. what are typical stats for entering students.

I wonder if they looked at the applications in the order they were received. I pressed the submit button the morning of the deadline.

This waiting is dreadful! I've taken a gamble and decided not to teach summer school in hopes that I'm lucky enough to get a spot. :eek:

This waiting is dreadful! I've taken a gamble and decided not to teach summer school in hopes that I'm lucky enough to get a spot. :eek:

I hear you. Have you heard of anybody giving up their spots? I'm hoping to get a seat too. :xf:

Sit tight! There were a few people pulled off the waitlist weeks before the program began, so don't give up hope yet.

Just got some feedback from Dr. David Jones from the UTHSCSA. I simply asked whether TCOM's program or UT Dallas's new post-bacc program are programs they look favorably upon and if they had any preference between programs. He looked at my "numbers" and wrote "I am not sure either of these programs will give you the kind of improvement needed to be accepted to medical school." Weren't these programs made to help applicants improve their chances of acceptance? At least that's what is stated on UT Dallas's program website..
"students repairing a rocky academic record".. and is supposedly endorsed by UTHSCSA among others.

I feel he really doesnt know anything about the programs I mentioned. I guess I'll just go back to my day job where I'll work until I die. :( I'd imagine If I got accepted to such a program I'd be wasting my time and money!

Just got some feedback from Dr. David Jones from the UTHSCSA. I simply asked whether TCOM's program or UT Dallas's new post-bacc program are programs they look favorably upon and if they had any preference between programs. He looked at my "numbers" and wrote "I am not sure either of these programs will give you the kind of improvement needed to be accepted to medical school." Weren't these programs made to help applicants improve their chances of acceptance? At least that's what is stated on UT Dallas's program website..
"students repairing a rocky academic record".. and is supposedly endorsed by UTHSCSA among others.

I feel he really doesnt know anything about the programs I mentioned. I guess I'll just go back to my day job where I'll work until I die. :( I'd imagine If I got accepted to such a program I'd be wasting my time and money!
I guarantee if you asked the same thing of Filo Maldonado (A&M's director of admissions) he'd say the opposite. If you're going to write off the ability of a program to help you get into med school, you ought to at least check around with several admissions folks.

I just replied to his email. I would have never considered post-bacc programs if it hadn't been recommended to me by someone on an admissions committee. All I want to know is if there's any greater benefit in doing masters coursework (TCOM postbacc) as opposed to taking/retaking undergraduate coursework (UTDallas postbacc). It sucked to hear that from the med school I'd really like to attend because of it's RAHC facility. Oh well! I'll just be happy getting accepted anywhere in Texas.

Last edited:
I hear you. Have you heard of anybody giving up their spots? I'm hoping to get a seat too. :xf:

I havent heard of anybody doing such a thing yet.. might want to check on the TCOM thread for late/waitlisted acceptances.

I wonder how many applicants make up our waitlist.... :confused:

I havent heard of anybody doing such a thing yet.. might want to check on the TCOM thread for late/waitlisted acceptances.

I wonder how many applicants make up our waitlist.... :confused:

I was wondering about that too.. so far, there are three of us in this thread. Regarding your previous posts, I heard TCOM looks favorably on their own MS Medical Sciences students during med school admission process, given you do good in the program. So yes, we do have a chance to make it to medical school.

I'll celebrate when that happens. Till then, I'll keep my fingers crossed. :)

Something to consider: Of all of the medical schools that have accepted students from our Med Sci program this year, UTHSCSA has the largest number of acceptances. They've taken 8 of us already, and several more are on the waitlist. Dr. Jones definitely knows about our program and apparently likes the students who are coming from it. Keep your fingers crossed for an acceptance into the program, kick ass once you're here, and I'm sure the doors will open for you.

Just got off the phone with the GSBS and was told that there's approximately 30 people on the waitlist.. Of course they wont say how they are ranked. 10 days to go!!! :xf:

Just got off the phone with the GSBS and was told that there's approximately 30 people on the waitlist.. Of course they wont say how they are ranked. 10 days to go!!! :xf:

This is good information. Somehow, I feel a little bit hopeful. Good luck to us! :D Thanks!

Anyone get their schedules by email yet? I just got mine. I am in option A. Don't have to take Biochem since I just took it last semester. I take everything else. I like the amount of time we get for MCAT prep with classes almost everyday till July 31st.

Bobsagat please before the program starts can you give us some pointers on things we should know if we want to do very well in this program? Any advice would be helpful.

Something to consider: Of all of the medical schools that have accepted students from our Med Sci program this year, UTHSCSA has the largest number of acceptances. They've taken 8 of us already, and several more are on the waitlist. Dr. Jones definitely knows about our program and apparently likes the students who are coming from it. Keep your fingers crossed for an acceptance into the program, kick ass once you're here, and I'm sure the doors will open for you.

God willing I'll have an opportunity to kick some academic ass! Thanks for the info.

Abearin.. Did you select option A or was that pre-determined for you?

No it is predetermined based on your background. If you have had a recent biochem course and aced it they let you skip that intro optional biochem course. I think they sign everyone up for the MCAT course and you are told to email by Monday to petition. I would suggest everyone take the MCAT course because it seems it is the only thing that you constantly do all summer since Biostats is only Tues and Thurs night anyway. I really hope all you guys get in off the waitlist. I would leave my schedule open for the summer. It is a big gamble but you could get the call anytime now and especially when folks are required to give up multiple spots at medical schools.

I concur! Anything that will help me to achieve my goal is worth waiting for. I'd imagine the first couple of weeks will be shaky for some of us who'll have to make the move up there in such short notice!.. It'll be like old times.. living out of my car for a couple of days wont be so bad. :p

I got my schedule to but i got option b. I thought the a b c thing was for your clinical preceptorship group and not your class option. What group are you in for the preceptorship?

it also says this...
"Option A is the default. You
must e-mail to request a different option by Tuesday, May 19th."

Maybe I am confused hah.

I had a question I am signed up for the june 18th mcat. So is there any point to take the mcat prep course then it does not make sense to me to do it because for a whole month and a half ill be doing mcat prep after my mcat. Hopefully I do fine this time around.

You may be right. After reading the email again it seems that everyone gets Option A for classes unless they feel the need to review Biochem. I guess in that case you just decide how strong you are in that class and skip it if you don't feel you need it.

Salabalu. I would call the school to find out what to do about MCAT date. I personally would move it back to take full advantage of the class.

I hope we can find out about financial aid soon. I submitted my Fafsa to them Jan 2nd but when I called yesterday I was told they were reviewing my file. Tuition will be due soon (May 26th 8am).

Last edited:
Salabalu. I would call the school to find out what to do about MCAT date. I personally would move it back to take full advantage of the class.

I hope we can find out about financial aid soon. I submitted my Fafsa to them Jan 2nd but when I called yesterday I was told they were reviewing my file. Tuition will be due soon (May 26th 8am).

Yea I would like to take advantage of the mcat prep but I have been prepping and if i take the mcat in august isnt that kind of late for apps this year?

Yea I asked about when we can find out about our financial aide they said it should be up by may 1.

Bobsagat please before the program starts can you give us some pointers on things we should know if we want to do very well in this program? Any advice would be helpful.
Don't worry, you'll get more advice than you know what to do with once the program starts. Just sit tight.

Hey~ it's been awhile since I posted. I got accepted to TCOM's medical master's program, but I have been busy with working and weddings two wkends in a row, I haven't started to prepare yet... Not Good.

I have never filled out FAFSA before~so here's hoping it's straightforward. Taxes were difficult enough for me.....lol...

I am in group C for the preceptorship. I was in group B, but I e-mailed to let them know I had a major conflict on July 3rd (go figure~a wedding in Georgia that I bought a ticket for in January!) & they were super kind to move me to group C. Whew! Are there opportunities to shadow a D.O. during the program? I have no connections to one to shadow....and applying to a D.O. school having never shadowed one seems wrong and unlikely.

In my e-mail, it gives options about which summer classload to take.
BobSagat or PianoGirl~any suggestions about whether or not it is helpful to take the summer intro. to Biochemistry as a refresher course? I will definitely be taking the MCAT class since I have applied with my 27 & am currently waitlisted at U of Arkansas & Texas A&M (so, you TCOM Medical Master's students that are waitlisted~if I get accepted to those schools, that would open a spot for sure~not sure if that is helpful?? but I mean it in the kindest way possible.). I know that I can improve from a 27, as long as the MCAT course helps with physical sciences a lot & there are plenty of practice tests!

Okay, I just wrote a book.... but Congrats to everyone who got in & to all those who are waitlisted keep the hope alive and keep at it!!! We will all get there... we just have to be patient & work hard!

Don't take the Biochem refresher course over the summer. It's a waste of time. I had never taken Biochem in undergrad so I took the course over the summer and I really wish I hadn't. It just distracted me from MCAT studying and the fall Biochem course is so different anyway that it doesn't really help.

About DO shadowing: if you like the preceptor that you have over the summer, you can work it out with them to continue to shadow them throughout the year. Two people did that with Dr. Shranz.

Don't take the Biochem refresher course over the summer. It's a waste of time. I had never taken Biochem in undergrad so I took the course over the summer and I really wish I hadn't. It just distracted me from MCAT studying and the fall Biochem course is so different anyway that it doesn't really help.

About DO shadowing: if you like the preceptor that you have over the summer, you can work it out with them to continue to shadow them throughout the year. Two people did that with Dr. Shranz.

Awesome! Thanks so much for the information! I was leaning against taking it (the intro to biochem), but I feel better now about that option!

Also, thanks for the info about shadowing a D.O. I work in a clinic with a D.O. but to shadow her, I would have to not work & not working = No money to pay for school!! There is a break between summer and fall semester, so maybe there would be an opportunity to shadow then..

Pianogirl,

They did a chat session last night for incoming Medical Sciences Master's students, and they provided information about the Intro. to Biochemistry course. They mentioned that it would be harder than Biochemistry I in an undergraduate course. Do you think they possibly have changed it from last year? I know you mentioned that it was a waste of time--would you be able to tell me a little bit more about the topics they review in the summer refresher course?! I, too, have never taken biochem in undergrad. I took other higher level science classes... Anyways, I know that is a lot to ask, but I just am trying to figure which summer classes to take!

Thanks for any information you may have!!

Pianogirl,

They did a chat session last night for incoming Medical Sciences Master's students, and they provided information about the Intro. to Biochemistry course. They mentioned that it would be harder than Biochemistry I in an undergraduate course. Do you think they possibly have changed it from last year? I know you mentioned that it was a waste of time--would you be able to tell me a little bit more about the topics they review in the summer refresher course?! I, too, have never taken biochem in undergrad. I took other higher level science classes... Anyways, I know that is a lot to ask, but I just am trying to figure which summer classes to take!

Thanks for any information you may have!!

I could be wrong, but I really dont think they will be changing it. I didn't take Biochem in undergrad so I dont have anything to compare it to, but it really wasn't hard. All it does is distract you from studying for the MCAT which is your main focus of the summer besides Biostats. I cant really remember what we covered..definitely glycolysis, lipolysis, protein metabolism. Sorry that was like a year ago...wish I could be more help.

I was accepted off of the waitlist this morning! See you all in May!

Pianogirl, I've sent you a PM.

So... who needs a mature and responsible roomate?

I'm in!! I'll see everybody during the orientation!!

How 'bout that.. at least the one's on SDN got in off the waitlist.. What are the odds?!

Congrats guys. I knew it would happen. See you all in May. Preview day was awesome by the way but you did not miss a whole lot. We were told most things would be finalized during the orientation.

I think a two bedroom will more affordable ... so, I might be needing a roomate.