1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Info required regarding masters after DDS

Discussion in 'International Dental' started by elementz, Apr 27, 2004.

1. elementz

elementz Happiness and Sunshine:)
    7+ Year Member

Hi friends :) ,

I know it is probably too early at this stage considering the fact that I haven't yet got into dental school :D but then, there were a few questions regarding the post-graduate studies after completing the advanced standing program that I had on my mind.... and what other place than SDN :cool: to get straight answers!

I was wondering if anyone could share their thoughts and info regarding:

1)what are the requirements for getting into an Ortho program (I absolutely love ortho!!! :love: ).I understand our NBDE scores (part-I and part-II) are important for this. but then, if we get admission to a dental school with a set of scores in part-I can we retake the exam during the course of our program to improve our scores to complete the requirement for the particular specialization we want to get into?(or do they consider the scores that we have in our file at the time of getting admitted).

2) Do we compete with the regular DDS students for the available spaces in PG programs or are we treated any different? i.e. What are our chances of getting into speciality programs considering the fact that we get a good GPA at dental school?

3) Does doing a research/ helping out during our DDS curriculum help getting into such programs?
    ... At NYU when I went for the interview, our tour guide said that we could choose to work in a particular department for a longer time when we get into the third year of the program so that we could even credit those hours when we want to pursue the subject of our choice.

4) Do the professors/ faculty have a say in whom they want to admit to their department?

5)There are quite a few schools that don't pay a stipend for specialities like ortho, surgery, prostho and endo but there are quite afew offering the same for pedo (because of the relative availability of space in that speciality) but, are foreign graduates with an advanced standing eligible for these(if in case they pay a stipend for the aforementioned specialities) :) ?

.....I understand these a quite a few questions but any info/ thoughts on this are greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot for your time guys. :D

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. kpat

kpat Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hope this helps! Good luck.

kpat

4. elementz

elementz Happiness and Sunshine:)
    7+ Year Member

Thanks a lot Kpat for your suggestions and views...

ya it's true, I think it's a tough thing to manage the curriculum at school leave alone retaking any test but when it narrows down to something like, that's the only other option... that's what I was talking about.Can we actually do that? (I understand they take student who have scores in upper 90's :idea: )
    It's a very good suggestion to actually try and work/volunteer for an orthodontist during and after school + put in XXXXXtra time in the department when possible.
    ... and of course the weight of our "RESUME"...
    I really appreciate it Kpat.Thanks.

To all the others, if you have anything else to add or even just talk out your thoughts on this...please come forward :) ...it sure may help quite a few others...and of course..ME :D !!!
    I shall also try find out info from other sources too.

5. Athene

Athene 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

thanks for the great info.......kpat