info sharing for UCSF new students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

organic

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope this can be a thread for those who are accepted to UCSF to share info

Sang asked me about :

Hello organic,
I have been to UCSF and they said they are not willing to give family housing directly and they might give turk boulevard apartments depending on the vacancy.It means we need to graduate slowly.
Anyway I have a question for you .Do you know the best way of commuting to UCSF from bay area?? like caltrain or bart ??
I would appreciate any info.

I am not sure who you asked, but you should directly fax your application and admission letter to office of housing ASAP. The application can be downloaded on their website. The family housing is the San Miguel one, the Turk seems to be the single's appartment.... ( not sure , since I only applied for family housing) unlike some mentioned, I was told that there is no preference of DDS students to IDP students. it is first come first served base. THey all tell you that you are far at the end of the waiting list, but by May or June, there should be quite many vacancies. So I heard people who were at the end of the list, but still got a spot. They also don't check your credit history, so any credit score can get an appartment.

As for commuting, if you are coming from East bay, it is horrible, you have to take BART ( if you live close by BART, otherwise, a bus trip to BART), transit to line 66 or N-Ocean, it takes long time. ( 1- 2 hours depending where you are from). Caltrain doesn't connect to UCSF campus, again you have to transfer to a bus, Caltrain has a lot of delay, it is mentioned often on the radio in the morning.

I think for you as a student, it is the best to live in SF, and let your family members, who work, commute. I know people who live in North Beach and commute to South bay for work, they seem to be ok, but I don't think as a student, you can do that very easily, though. BART is usually very on time, very very on time, they also have a PDA version that can tell you exactly when the train is coming. VERY VERY ON TIME. Rarely is it delayed

hope it helps

Members don't see this ad.

I was under the impression they didn't offer housing to you guys anymore. :confused:

my application is patiently waiting in the office of housing. I have finished my registry and they told me later, they will give out a number to have access to their new website for checking the waiting list

But for those of you who will live in SF, you don't actually have to look for on-campus housing. It is not cheaper. But it doesn't hurt to apply as a backup

Members don't see this ad :)
hi,
i even applied for the housing and dont know what is going on with it. Lets see what happens. I heard there are pros and cons of the oncampus and offcampus housing. If any one can post about the housing, will be very helpful to all who r applying.
Will be waiitng for ur replies.

Have a nice day

Indiandentist

benefit:
oncampus housing-- close to school, close to fellow students, shuttle service. Night time shuttle service ( upon calling). No credit report check ( won't lower your score, nor deny you because of bad credit).

offcampus housing-- pick where you want to be, might be more choices, far from school, far from fellow students, can pick a location close to highway for other family members to commute. Can pick trendy place, fun place or sunny areas to live. can find appartments that are pet friendly ( not many though)

drawbacks:

oncampus-- not especially cheaper, the location is often in the fog, highway 1 sucks in the morning if your family needs to commute to south bay, too many medical geeks clustered together, no pet allowed

offcampus housing-- credit check, larger amount of deposit. more troublesome in finding the right place, often with leasing time, minimal 1 year. Far from medical geeks, parking spot is usually not included.

:)

Hi,
I sent you a PM, can u check it and mail me or message.

Have a nice day

Indiandentist

Hi UCSF 2006 students,
did you receive financial statement telling us how much we need to pay? They don't expect us to sum up that much money right before the class starts, do they? Does any of you know when they will let us know?
thanks

hey organic,
i am also really confused abt all the financial aid stuff. but the best way is to call the financial aid dept directly or call office of admissions and get first hand info. you might have already got the info but no harm asking for it again
Giffy

Hey Organic,
here is the info that you were looking for. the annual expenditure for the 1st year at UCSF is 91,000 :scared: :scared:
This icludes housing and personal expenditure for 1 single person for 1 year which means without housing it comes to 70,000.Out of this 70,000, 21000 is for instruments and around 1700 is for Books as quoted in the budget provided to us duiring the interview. I hope this answers your questions.
Giffy

Oh yes and for 2nd year it 71,000 with housing. very little expenditure on instruments and books :clap: :clap:
Giffy

hey guys ,
dont know which other thread to post this info. but seems as if ucsf is still accepting poeple. a person i know has been given admission in ucsf just a few days back. she was on waitlist. good luck to all those who r waiting.

Giffy said:
Oh yes and for 2nd year it 71,000 with housing. very little expenditure on instruments and books :clap: :clap:
Giffy

Hi Giffy, thanks for your info

This new format has totall bewildered my eyes, it takes a while to get used to it.

yes, I saw the new budget for 2004-2005. Did you see how much the regular DDS students pay!!!! :smuggrin:
about half! it used to be much less, and now they are catching up with us....not to say that our tuition is cheap, but at least, they pay half our price and 2 times the time ( like a loan!)

well, just a note of caution, I think their budget for the food is slightly low, living in the bay, you really have to be thrifty to eat only the budgeted amount of money. :eek:

Hi Dear fellows, after long search of housing, I landed a nice one- bed room from UCSF. SO sweet! like a tree house in the forest.

Today, I called Student health services and asked about immunization documentation. The nurse told me there is no such a thing as a vaccin forTB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:eek:

:eek:

Any of you UCSF goer got an idea what we are doing on the first day of school? Funny that school is starting in 11 days and they haven't even told us where to go on the first day!!!

I suspect that they just want us to pay and get the degree in 2 years :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :D

organic said:
Any of you UCSF goer got an idea what we are doing on the first day of school? Funny that school is starting in 11 days and they haven't even told us where to go on the first day!!!

I suspect that they just want us to pay and get the degree in 2 years :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :D

Hi Organic!
I'v been wondering about the same thing too! I hope there will be something in the mail or something online in the near future. :thumbup:

Have you checked your e-mail ? They should have sent you the details by e-mail.

Henna said:
Have you checked your e-mail ? They should have sent you the details by e-mail.
No Henna !
I did not receive any e-mails either.

stu-dentno-1 said:
No Henna !
I did not receive any e-mails either.
Hi Stu-Dentno-1

I shot an E-mail to Petri and here is what he said

--the first few days, we will not have classes, nor labs. THere will be for orientations only

--on June 21st, please arrive at N-729, School of NURSING at 8AM, there will be orientations and Dr. Bird's welcome speech :oops:

-- do not worry, all the doubts and questions will be answered
-- we will have to pay before 21st, or we might be subjected to penalty of late fee

hope this helps

One more thing that every UCSF goer should know,

UCSF health services will take around 2 weeks ( according to them) to process your document of immunization. After 2 weeks, you should check the hold column at your saa website . If health services shows "active" in red, it means that you haven't cleared this portion. CALL THEM! if it shows " released", you are free to pay mountains of tuition anytime.

public schools.... :mad:

:sleep: :sleep:

organic said:
Hi Stu-Dentno-1

I shot an E-mail to Petri and here is what he said

--the first few days, we will not have classes, nor labs. THere will be for orientations only

--on June 21st, please arrive at N-729, School of NURSING at 8AM, there will be orientations and Dr. Bird's welcome speech :oops:

-- do not worry, all the doubts and questions will be answered
-- we will have to pay before 21st, or we might be subjected to penalty of late fee

hope this helps

Hi organic,

Thanks for all the info. Looking forward to meet you on the 21st. :luck:

stu-dentno-1 said:
Hi organic,

Thanks for all the info. Looking forward to meet you on the 21st. :luck:
Good Luck :thumbup:
At some point you'll have a speech from the Dean, hope it'll have the same lasting impact it had on me.