informal poll - writing a letter to the school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prznpremed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
SO, my stats are below avg at the school I'm waitlisted at

I'm writing a letter of interest to the school (I've written a few before, trying to make this one more effective) and I'm wondering what route to take

1.acknowledge the bad stuff, but don't sound apologetic

2. acknowledge the bad stuff, and do sound apologetic

b. breeze by it and focus on the positive things

I'm tempted to go this route: explain a bit about my lacking areas (i don't have a great explanation, just heavy workload), don't dwell on them and focus on the positives (EC's, etc), my desire to attend...

thoughts/advice?:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

make a real poll, that would be much easier

Members don't see this ad :)
Focus on why it is they should pick you. What about you is really great that makes you deserve to go to their school? What have you learned from the mistakes you made in your application? How will your good things combined with your mistakes make you the perfect person for their school?

If you interviewed there, they deemed your academic credentials adequate.

Do not acknowledge any "bad stuff". Do not sound apologetic.

You can write a letter describing the things that impressed you during your interview day. Tell them you felt their school was a good fit for you, and explain why. Furthermore update them if there are any significant changes in your file since the last time you had correspondence with them. Do this if you have accomplished something interesting or significant, such as a senior thesis or if you have made plans to do something cool/unusual with the summer.

Also, at some schools, you can send as many letters as you want and they all go in the trash. At other schools, the letters will make a difference. Call up the dean of admissions and ask if they are receptive to letters of interest from applicants - then report here and let the rest of the preallos know.

PS - Dont make excuses. You dont have to "explain" anything. If someone sits down and asks, "so, why did you get a C / low verbal / withdraw a couple classes?", the answer I would respect most would be "Well, I dont really have anything to say about it. I got a C / low verbal / withdrew. Is that a problem?"

The answer I would respect 2nd most would be "I got a C. If you have a problem with it, kiss my @ss."

I wouldn't write any more about yourself. You should have told them all they need to know in the applications, and they have asked anything else they wanted to know in the interview.

I'd focus more on:

1. updating anything new you've done since your interview
2. talking about why you're interested in the school and how you think you're a good fit for the school

It's a letter of interest/intent, not a place to repeat the things you've already told them (or should have).