Informal Post-Bacc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A

AdemTD

If I do not get into medical school this year, I am going to do an informal post-bacc. program of about 24 credits to boost my GPA. I would do more, but I just can't afford much more than 24 credits right now. I likely will not be able to take courses at my previous University but will likely have to attend one much closer to where I'm living now. Would it be acceptable for me to repeat the Physics sequence since I did not do well in it the first time around or should I take courses that I have not yet taken? Thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

Repeating the Physics sequence and getting As will boost your GPA as much as taking two other courses with the same hours and getting As. If you got a C or lower in Physics, some schools won't like to see that on your transcript. Other schools won't care because you did well on the MCAT. You'll be fine whichever choice you make.

26 credit hours:
Immunology and Hematology
Human Genetics
Neurobiology
Parasitology
Electron Microscopy
Gen. Physics I and II

If I am able to pull off all As in these classes, I will raise my GPA from 3.40 to 3.50, and my BCPM from 3.30 to 3.45. Again, I will only enroll in these classes if the application cycle doesn't look promising. Is it worth the expense to take these classes? Thanks!

Is it worth the expense to take these classes? Thanks!
Oh, yes. It will be less expensive than doing an SMP, and they will help your GPA a lot. Hopefully, you'll be spreading those courses out over 2 semesters. And don't let your effort come back to bite you by not getting the As you need.