Information about NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kawaii

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone who has any information about NYU's dental program? (academic program/clinical practice/patient availability/tuition/housing/anything)

There is a great possibility that I am gonna end up at UM. I am just trying to decide whether it's worth the money and time to go to the NYU interview at all. Any tips will be greatly appreciated, so please reply ^^

Kawaii

Members don't see this ad.

I just called in for my interview, but I do not know much about NYU either. I know that they accept 225 freshman each year. If you find out more info, please let me know.

Hi,
I just went to NYU last week. The interview process was very relaxing... you have breakfast, meet with interviewer, take a school tour, then financial aid info and lunch. Since they are a private school, they treat you REAL GOOD!!
I think they have good program, especially clinical training, and the school is very proud of its curriculum. Obviously, they have large student body and the tuition is sky high ... but they seem to take very good care of their graduates.

good luck,
dreamfish

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey E.,

So, have you decided whether or not u r going to NY? None of the people I talked to yesterday seemed to have info on NYU. But Always good to check out the place!! Anyways, Good luck with your upcoming ones!!

Go Bears!!

I'm currently a third year and would love to hear what else they told you. The place is in for a change so maybe I could clarify a few things for you.
Take everything told to you with a grain of salt.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by ORdoc:
I'm currently a third year and would love to hear what else they told you. The place is in for a change so maybe I could clarify a few things for you.
Take everything told to you with a grain of salt.

AH HA! :p

Just as I have suspected.....you do go to NYU....hehe. You know what though? I didnt get an offer for interview.....nor any rejection letters yet. Oh well, I've already sent in my letter of intent and had already paid my $1000 deposit.

Hehe...maybe I'll see you on the streets of New York!
biggrin.gif

HI, I was at NYU last week and just got accepted two days ago. I would love to hear your opinion about NYU .. things you like/dislike.
Basically, the tour of the school is very complete.. we went from 4fl. to 10 fl. The clinic facility wasn't too impressive, but i'm very impressed at the patient pool, especially on the specialties. One of the doctor in surgory department told us that NYU is the place to do specialties because they get differnt cases other school dont' normally get. and they offer spot for NYU DDS students. I think he's trying to stress that "you get what you pay for in NYU"!! As for the first 2 years of curriculum, didnt' really hear anything about it tho, except it's really hard everywhere.
oh, one thing they're doing for next year is the electronic text... UBuffalo started DVD curriculum last year, and students didn't like it that much.. so i guess NYU students will have to adjust to that in addition to the busy NYC life.

dreamfish

Dreamfish,
I also was accepted in NYU. I know a lot of people have badmouthed the school, I personally found my experience there as great. I liked the school, was impressed with the pride their alumni showed, students looked pretty relaxed and proud of their abilities, and the facility was OK.

The biggest thing though was the fact that they do get interesting cases, and with 250,000 people in the clinics you'll always get enough patient. Biggest drawback: $300,000+ loan and NY. I was overwhelmed by NY, and I think for $50,000+ less I'll get my education somewhere else. (Hey, call me El Cheapo, but with accrued interest, that $50,000 is about $75k at 7% interest in 5 years-$300k is about $450k with the same variables)

Do you have any other offer? I am a firm believer of going where you feel comfortable. The problem is I was comfortable in all the schools I interviewed at, and how can you really tell how you'll fit in a school from just being there less than a day. Plus from my understanding, wherever you go, you'll hate the school by the end of you first semester anyway.
biggrin.gif

In the end I am using a mix of vibe, stats and price tags to make my decision.

hello people.....i don't go to nyu but i know people that go there. it's weird....they all told me that if u get accepted to other dental skools go there and don't come here. they complaint that the skool is very disorganized with 200+ students. i went to the skool with my them one time and they were all over the place looking for a place to work...all the rooms were full....a lot of the instruments didn't even work...what do u expect with so many students...oh ya....i also thought the facility was pretty dirty. they told me that some of the students decided to drop out so they can reapply to other skools. oh ya....the dental students are banned from the main medical library...only MD students can go there cuz they complaint that too many dental student take up their space...so now the dental students can only go to their own dental library to study which is freaking small...i saw it...i don't think u can fit more than 100 people in there. anyway...i'm not bad mouthing nyu cuz i don't care...i'm just telling what they told me and what i saw. hope this help. oh ya...the skool is too expensive...unless ur in the military or have rich parents...get ready for hell after u graduate. later

oh ya one more thing.....i was so shocked to see sooooo many dental students.....it felt like nyu is mass producing dentists....it looked like a factory to me.