Information about pass rate of DO schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

healingwave

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any information on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Pass rate of what? COMLEX? USMLE? Overall Graduation Rate/Retention?

Members don't see this ad :)
The COMLEX info has to be reported. Look at whatever school's website you want. Not everyone takes USMLE so that isn't reported. And your posting in the wrong forum. Come join us in pre-osteo

Generally the national comlex pass rates are recorded year by year on most school's websites, though it shifts between around a 90-94% pass rate nationally. USMLE pass rate is difficult to assess due to only around half of DO students taking it, but generally the pass rate is somewhere around 96%. DO School 6 year graduation rates nationally is about 90-95%.

Keep in mind that these numbers get "massaged" by schools that prevent the their weakest students from taking the exam on time with their classmates.
You mean "palpated".

Reactions: 1 users
Keep in mind that these numbers get "massaged" by schools that prevent the their weakest students from taking the exam on time with their classmates.

How often are many schools restraining their students from participating in taking COMLEX step 1 by July 15th? Besides LECOM.

How often are many schools restraining their students from participating in taking COMLEX step 1 by July 15th? Besides LECOM.

Almost all LECOM students take COMLEX by end of June. Weaker students are made to take it in June instead of in May. The only reason to end up taking it later than July 15 would be pretty extreme circumstances (such as having to remediate a major second year class)-- they actually strongly discouraged anything that puts you "off schedule."

Reactions: 1 user
Almost all LECOM students take COMLEX by end of June. Weaker students are made to take it in June instead of in May. The only reason to end up taking it later than July 15 would be pretty extreme circumstances (such as having to remediate a major second year class)-- they actually strongly discouraged anything that puts you "off schedule."

Yah... my school doesn't finish lectures until essentially the first week of May. Then we have a review course and then a dedicated period. Jesus tho, being done with COMLEX by May would be the greatest thing ever tho. Do you guys start rotations really early tho?

Yah... my school doesn't finish lectures until essentially the first week of May. Then we have a review course and then a dedicated period. Jesus tho, being done with COMLEX by May would be the greatest thing ever tho. Do you guys start rotations really early tho?

Yeah, at the end of May. On the plus side, it's nice to get the exam over with a little earlier than most and start rotations a little sooner. On the downside, our "dedicated period" is really short, unless you opt to give up your 3rd year vacation for an extra 4 weeks (or have to take the extra 4 weeks due to GPA).

At any rate, I mostly wanted to clarify that while I'm sure our administration isn't above some stats manipulation, they're not making a significant portion of the class take the exam after July 15.

I honestly don't count making people struggling study longer as massaging the scores, its more like doing their job. One person failing drops LECOM's average pass rate by .3, whereas it has serious ramifications for the student.

It's also not like they won't let you take it, they just strongly recommend taking longer to study. Like SGU might expel you if you don't pass the NBME before even letting you take the step. LECOM will more or less tell you you're going to fail, and should probably postpone. I knew a couple people that had to take multiple COMSAEs to prove they were ready for the date they scheduled. In the end they were told they were ready to take it and were not off schedule, but honestly they could have just sat for it anyway because LECOM had already given the NBOME the clearance for it. I personally don't know anyone that took it in late July, but a couple took it the first week.

EDIT: Also, just to be clear, I 100% buy that LECOM (and probably many other schools) fudge numbers a bit to make them look better. Like to give an example, I heard about a few students that were prevented from graduating on time because they did some 3 week rotations instead of 4 like we're required to do, and so they were pulled from the match, finished off schedule and then I believe we're counted as "not seeking GME" that year in the placement summary. I don't know for sure that it went down like that but that's what I heard.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Don't know. TCOM is another offender.

Bite your tongue, Goro --- Massaging results by holding back/counseling weak students to postpone reminds me of something I read in a novel about Special Forces ("Brotherhood of War" -- great series of historical fiction) --- It stated,"We never lie -- we provide plausible deviations from the truth." ---

Follow the money --- if it reflects poorly on administration, it'll be "massaged" --- the amount of self-serving BS that went on while I was there was tremendous --- including my class being used a test subjects for a software program developed by a company owned in part by the year 2 phase director, one of the adjunct professors that hired one of the 3rd years to help with writing the code -- it was listed as part of our course objectives and we would get extra credit for doing it -- interesting that they used us to iron out the kinks --- in software development that's called testing --- don't know if it went anywhere but man it sure smelled of conflict of interest......

Reactions: 2 users