1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

Information For New Students - My Observation

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by renervatio, Apr 23, 2007.

1. renervatio

Dental Student
    Hello,

I am a dental student at Detroit Mercy. I have used these forums before as they are a great area to get information, but have never needed to post anything until know. I think that I have something that may be of relevance and would like to share my 2 cents.

I found it difficult to decide which dental school to choose when I was accepted and I really based my judgment on where I would get the most clinical experience.

I have realized that going to UDM was a big mistake. I regret choosing this school over my other offers as I am sure when I graduate, I will be set back a few years compared to students at other schools.

At UDM, you do get a lot of clinical experience, but you do not get good quality of experience. There are a few factors involved. First, most of the patients cannot afford the best possible treatment. Rather than trying to save as many teeth as possible, they have them extracted as the other options are too expensive. Second, I really don't think that the curriculum is changing as quick as the profession is progressing. We do not learn too much about esthetic (cosmetic) dentistry, implant dentistry and surgical procedures. Nor do we have requirements to do these procedures as do other schools. We mainly do restorative work, extractions and dentures.

Because of this, I am pretty sure that I will be set back a few years to try to learn this. I will be limited as to what treatment I can offer my patients.

So for students still deciding where to go, I would strongly suggest at looking at the curriculum and school requirements. Doing more work is not necessarily a great thing. I think its critical to be exposed as many different procedures as possible. As I said, I would not go to UDM if I could do it over again. Heck, I would even forgo the deposit that I paid, because in the long run you will come out ahead. If you still have other options, reconsider them!

Again this is just my 2 cents.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Cymbidium

Cymbidium Awesome.

Dental Student
    Shamrock's gonna be upset.