information on new curriculum at UHS Kansas City

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jefftzeng

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am needing any information about the new cirruculum at University of Health Sciences at Kansas City. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a friend that has started this year at uhs. He was initially excited, but has since been unimpressed. He worries about learning enough for boards due to the cobwebs in the new system. Personally, I sat in on a few classes and I liked the format. I currently am finshing a masters degree and have been accepted to DO school other then uhs.

I am in the first year class at UHS. As with any new cirriculum there will be bumps in the road. Forutnately for you these bumps are being resolved as we progress through the program. The next year incoming class will have quite a smoother ride. All in all this program is far superior to the MD program I initially looked at. I have friends attending an allopathic school that are just taking Gross and Neuroanatomy lab and lecture. We study an entire system and it makes a lot of sense. When we have a lecture on bone, the next lecture may be on the pathology of bone disease, then a radiology lecture on what it looks like, then pharmacology and how to treat it. Then that afternoon we are in the Gross lab looking at it. It makes more sense when you see the whole picture. They have also integrated clinical experience starting the first semester of your first year.
I understand that there is some concern about not getting enough basic science. I can assure you that we will get more than we need to build a foundation as well as preparation for the boards. Besides, the vast majority of the basic science you should have gotten in undergrad. They take what you should already know and build on it from there.

[This message has been edited by dostudent (edited 11-15-2000).]

[This message has been edited by dostudent (edited 11-15-2000).]

Members don't see this ad :)
dostudent,

Can you tell me how you feel about the OP&P program at UHS. THis is a big factor in my decision on which school I want to attend and I would like to know how the students feel about it.

Thanks

Originally posted by roesnerna:
dostudent,

Can you tell me how you feel about the OP&P program at UHS. THis is a big factor in my decision on which school I want to attend and I would like to know how the students feel about it.

roesnerna,
Almost any D.O. student or physician will tell you that Kirksville is the manipulation capital of the free world. That being said, I feel that I am getting an excellent manipulative education at UHS. I chose osteopathic medicine in part because of manipulation and it will definitely be apart of my practice. As a first year I am primarily learning diagnostic and palpatory skills, but we have been exposed to many soft tissue and muscle energy techniques. By the end of the first year I will have had a large amount of treatment education (i.e. HVLA). We have OPP lectures 3-5 times a week and lab every Monday for 2 hours. Most all the study rooms on campus have OPP tables and you are expected to practice with classmates. We take an OPP final every 12 weeks with a comprehensive OPP final at the end of the year. The finals are skills based and require you to perform treatment and assessments. UHS has an excellent OPP staff that is always available outside of class. I have found that there is always this "group" of students that are hard-core manipulation and you can pick up a lot of good techniques from them as well as the older osteopaths that help out with the lab.

Hope this helps