1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Information on Pikeville School of Osteopathic Medicine

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Bill02, Sep 11, 2000.

1. Bill02

Bill02 New Member

I am looking for any information from current students on Pikeville School of Osteopathic Medicine. Basic Sciences, Clinical Sciences, Professors, Fellow Students, anything that you current students wished that you had known while you were going through the application process. I would also be most interested in the application process at Pikeville. Thank you very much.

Bill

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Pikevillemedstudent

Pikevillemedstudent Bengals Fan
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Bill,

The basic scienses at PCSOM are great with the possible exception of cell, but I maybe biased because I have a test in cell Friday. The board pass rates went up this year to 86%. I know that doesn't sound great but hey this is only the second class at PCSOM to take the boards. The first class had a 70% pass rate. You also get a great clinical education. We rotate through clinics and hospitals starting it the first and second years! What better way to learn clinical skills than in a clinical setting. Also, much to the dismay of the administration, I think many of my fellow classmates are planning entering non-primary care specialities. We are affliated with over 50 hospitals in KY, OH, and WV. You can even do most of your third and fourth year clerkships in Williamson, WV. I could write all day about the school. If you have any questions, I will be more than happy to answer them.

[This message has been edited by Pikevillemedstudent (edited 09-11-2000).]

4. Billie

Billie An Oldie but a Goodie...
    10+ Year Member

Hi Pikeville Med Student! [​IMG]

Have you heard if the school plans to start an internship program at Pikeville Methodist anytime in the next couple of years? Also, do you know if the hospital will accept students for rotations from other schools? I have been trying to get hold of the DME and have had no luck.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Billie, MS-III
    WVSOM

5. Pikevillemedstudent

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hello Billie,

The school does plan to start an intership and residency at Pikeville Methodist. There will be 12 Family Practice positions available this year. Beginning pay is like $36,000. Pikeville Methodist is a great hospital with a great rep. also. Since I notice you are from Logan, you probably already know about the new renovations occurring at the hospital. It should open up sometime soon. They will also begin open heart surgery soon. PCSOM will begin 74 residencies this year in family practice(52) and internal medicine(22) with the possibility of psychiatry this year also. I know Pikeville hospital has had students from Univ. of KY before but I don't know about WVSOM. I don't think it would be a problem though. Isn't there a FP residency in Logan? The DME is Dr. Murphy. You probably won't find him at the hospital since his office is at the medical school. The schools phone number is (606)432-9617. If he is not available, I am sure someone at the school can answer your questions.

6. SCHOOCH

SCHOOCH Member
    10+ Year Member

What is the status on PCSOM rec'ving full accredidation form AOA?

7. Dave

Dave Member
    10+ Year Member

A school can't receive accredidation until it graduates its first class.

8. Pikevillemedstudent

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    SCHOOCH,
    Dave is partly correct. The fourth year students must pass, with an appreciable percentage, COMLEX II. I was told at my interview that if the pass rate is low, accreditation is still possible, just slightly more difficult. I have never heard of any school having a low pass rate for COMLEX II or USMLE Step II. PCSOM has as much accreditation as any school beginning its fourth year can have. No one here is sweating it because we have passed all the others factors for accreditation with flying colors.

Bill02,
    I forget to write about the application process at PCSOM. the secondary is fairly straightforward. The interview is laid back. Interviews don't start usually until November. I have no idea why so late. Gotta run!

9. Billie

Billie An Oldie but a Goodie...
    10+ Year Member

Thanks for the info Pikeville Med Student!

Billie