Information Please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sgwu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a premed student at a fairly good university. I am a computer science major in the Engineering school so my GPA isn't as high as I want it to be just because that classes are extremely hard (above a 3.0 not a 3.6). I was wondering what my options where as far as Med. School, what type of scores I should get on my MCATS and if anyone knows of easy Med Schools to get into. I'm not looking for anything top notch just any Med School that is fairly easy to get into.

Members don't see this ad.

easy to get into....nonexistant. but i'm sure you meant easier than others. i don't have that info at hand, but it's not hard to find. just look up the aamc webpage and they list all of the accredited med schools. then you can look up average gpa's and mcats of matriculating applicants. don't freak too much about the gpa. depending on how much longer you have left in school, you may be able to pull it up a considerable amount. i had a 3.2 at the beginning of my third year and decided to finally start busting my ass. in two years, two years full of much harder classes than i received the 3.2 in, i improved my gpa to a 3.5. i just got into med school at my state university. the mcat is definitly important for you since your gpa is low. don't ask what you should get (although around 30 would be the answer). the reason i say that is because you don't just decide what you're going to make on the mcat. you just work your ass off more than you've ever done before, and if you're fortunate, you squeak in with an acceptable mcat. thinking you can attempt the mcat without much effort ("i just need a 30, not a 40. i don't need to study that much") could very well leave you with low twenties and a deflated ego. i hope none of that was harsh. i just am trying to get across the point that you can definitly do this, but it takes a lot of work. i had to take the mcat 3 times, and it wasn't until the 3rd that i got an acceptable score. so, don't take anything for granted. good luck to you.

Well, obviously no medical school is easy to get into, but here a few schools with a lower average GPA.
1. Morehouse School of Med., GA: 3.0
2. Finch University of Health Sciences/Chicago Med. Schol, IL: 3.23
3. Rush Medical College of Rush University, IL: 3.23
4. University of Illinois at Chicago School of Med, IL: 3.44
5. Louisiana State University School of Med in New Orleans, LA: 3.4
6. Wake Forest University School of Med., NC: 3.4
7. Albany Med. College, NY: 3.4
8. Temple University School of Med, PA: 3.4
9. Medical University School of South Carolina, SC: 3.0
10. Eastern Virginia Med School, VA: 3.41
11. University of Vermont College of Med, VT: 3.3
12. Howard University College of Med, DC: 3.14

This, of course, doesn't mean you have to go to one of these universities. If you work really hard, you could raise your GPA. Also, just because an average at a particular university is higher, it doesn't mean you can't get accepted. It's just an average; there are higher scores, but there are also lower scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
where is a good place on the web to find what are considered the most prestigious med schools, although i do know some of them. also, i'm looking for a site which will explain what is a good mcat score etc. because i still don't get that part. they're just numbers to me now...

I'm not sure about a website that explains the MCAT scores, but I do know one that gives stats on all the schools. Go to www.medschool.com. Click on students and educators, then student community. Then, on the left side, there is a blue strip. You'll see a line that reads school profiles, click on it. Hope this helps
smile.gif

thank you pathologist! i felt pretty silly asking those questions, but you didn't give me a hard time at all!!! thank you so much
smile.gif