Informing HPSP/Navy About Health Changes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NavyGeneraslFP

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a graduating 4th year coming on active duty in June and recently had a laminectomy/discectomy for very painful sciatica related to a herniated disc that was unresponsive to injections, PT, and neurontin. I will be 4 months out of surgery when I start my internship. I will not be able to do any heavy lifting for quite some time but will most likely be able to complete my PFTs. Will this make me non deployable and at risk for a medical discharge? What is my best option for letting HPSP know this information? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a graduating 4th year coming on active duty in June and recently had a laminectomy/discectomy for very painful sciatica related to a herniated disc that was unresponsive to injections, PT, and neurontin. I will be 4 months out of surgery when I start my internship. I will not be able to do any heavy lifting for quite some time but will most likely be able to complete my PFTs. Will this make me non deployable and at risk for a medical discharge? What is my best option for letting HPSP know this information? Thanks.

You do need to tell them. In theory they could not allow you to enter active service. Not sure they would, but could.

Contact them at [email protected].