Quantcast

Informing Schools that you intend to use HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cgurries

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
During interviews with dental schools, does telling them that you intend to use the HPSP scholarship affect their decision process at all? Are they less likely to want to accept you because through the military you would be less likely to pursue their residencies? Should you bring up the HPSP during an interview? Should you avoid the topic altogether? Thanks

subdoc

Reaction score
During interviews with dental schools, does telling them that you intend to use the HPSP scholarship affect their decision process at all? Are they less likely to want to accept you because through the military you would be less likely to pursue their residencies? Should you bring up the HPSP during an interview? Should you avoid the topic altogether? Thanks

They shouldn't ask you how you intend to fund school. If they do, deflect the question.

krmower

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Don't see how it can hurt you. Their main concern is getting paid - whether you pay with loans or HPSP it's the same.

teeth63a

Dharma Dentist
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Don't see how it can hurt you. Their main concern is getting paid - whether you pay with loans or HPSP it's the same.

Agree..also, you're not the military's property until after you graduate.

Personally, I would give someone more brownie points if they told me they were doing the military career route.

Of course if your interviewer has a big HOPE poster with Obama on it, I would reconsider divulging that information.

Tooth

Orthodontist
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I believe that it can not hurt when interviewing with out-of-state schools. However, your in-state subsidized schools are required to look for candidates who will likely stay in their state to practice as the state is pouring in money to subsidize the education. If the school knows you will be leaving to go with the military, you obviously won't be available to work in the state.

krmower

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I believe that it can not hurt when interviewing with out-of-state schools. However, your in-state subsidized schools are required to look for candidates who will likely stay in their state to practice as the state is pouring in money to subsidize the education. If the school knows you will be leaving to go with the military, you obviously won't be available to work in the state.

Respectfully I disagree. I have never heard of a state school being the "gate keeper" of dentists in their state. They would be naive to believe that at least 1/3 of in state residents don't leave the state.

I have never heard of the interview process trying to ferret out the long term plans of students beginning school. I still fully believe that most schools care about the bottom dollar - whether that is funded partially subsidized by the state or fully by HPSP - they get their money just the same...$ seems to be the thing driving many decisions.

I guess in the end if you are worried about it keep it under wraps.

ejendz24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I was at UIC, the interviewer asked me if I was crazy (having applied to UIC, where the out-of-state tuition/fees/etc. is nearing six figures/yr.). I told him that I intended to do the HPSP through the Army and he seemed very impressed and made note of my commitment and responsibility, etc.

Anyway, I was offered a spot in the class. So, long story short, I think it couldn't hurt.

krmower

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I was at UIC, the interviewer asked me if I was crazy (having applied to UIC, where the out-of-state tuition/fees/etc. is nearing six figures/yr.). I told him that I intended to do the HPSP through the Army and he seemed very impressed and made note of my commitment and responsibility, etc.

Anyway, I was offered a spot in the class. So, long story short, I think it couldn't hurt.

I did the same thing at Temple (They are partially subsidized and have some reserved PA slots). One interviewer was a retired Army Prosthodontist, the other was married to a dentist that had gotten out after serving in the Navy. It didn't hurt me.

baseballjunkie

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most interviewers will be impressed by your character if you are applying for HPSP. At least this was my experience. The interview is used to gauge character. An easy way to gauge someone's character is seeing their willingness to serve their country. You'll also find that many faculty at dental school are former/retired military. Out of my 8 interviews, I had 3 of them with retired military dentists. HPSP/HSCP is a great option if you are selected for it...

trickybenny

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would say at least 3/4, probably more are retired military. HPSP scholarship was brought up in our interview and looked upon as favorable, b/c A) the school will get paid B) people on scholarships rarely drop out b/c of the pay back associated with dropping out.

The training in the military for dental is very well respected among the dental community and all the faculty have had positive feedback for the students going into the military

AFDDS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
It won't hurt at a state school. Back in the day when I was applying, I was sitting in the waiting area waiting for my interview at Tennessee. Someone came out and called my name. It wasn't for my interview. It was the assistant Dean, who happened to be a one star in the TN National Guard.

When I went in for interview, 2 people on the panel were prior service and we spent quite a bit of time discussing my military experience during my interview.

Schools will like the fact that they are guaranteed payment.