Inguinal Linguini

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by mcatkitkat, Nov 6, 2002.

1. mcatkitkat

mcatkitkat Member

Does it matter what you get in your MCAT once you are in medical school? Do residency directors have a way of finding out? if you're laughing..ok, i'm naive but it would be nice to know. Thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. kutastha

kutastha 2K Member
    Physician

Attending Physician
    I didn't take Algebra in high school. Will this put me at a disadvantage?

4. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    Not necessarily true. Some of the more competitive residency programs (Integrated Plastics comes to mind) ask for MCAT scores as part of their residency application.

Darn things will haunt you...for a long time, if not forever. ;)

5. nuclearrabbit77

nuclearrabbit77 commercial sex worker

its true, some stuff from your college will come up. i saw a residency application before, and it had the persons undergrad institution and gpa on it as well. i dont remember seeing the mcat on this however.
    all and all though, including the professor reading the residency application, people don't care what you did in college - they care about what you did in medical school.

nuclearrabbit

northwestern - 2006

6. kltmd

kltmd Member

we were told that most people's MCAT scores are directly related to their USMLE scores. so if you did great on the MCAT... good news at USMLE time. if you didn't... study, study, study. :)

7. Castro Viejo

Castro Viejo Papa Clot Buster

Attending Physician
    Our MCAT scores show up on the official transcript, so in theory, program directors will see how I did on the MCAT. Whether or not it will be taken into account, as Kim already mentioned, I've only heard of Plastics programs (the integrated ones) asking specifically for MCATs and college transcripts.

8. 2003doc

2003doc Member

While I wouldn't advise losing sleep over the idea of a mediocre MCAT score being brought up during residency interviews, some places do like to dig up the past a little bit, although from what I have seen, many do not. Of the 21 places I applied to for general surgery, one sent out a "secondary application" where they not only asked for my MCAT but my SAT score as well.

Although really good test takers tend to stay really good test takers, I have seen people with good MCATs do crappy on the boards if they didn't study, and vice versa; so-so MCATs can still ace the boards. I'd recommend putting a good effort into both USMLE step 1 AND 2- though some people think that Step 2 is not important, on the interviews I have been on so far, Step 2 was discussed more than step 1.

In short, I don't think the MCAT will haunt anyone with an otherwise strong application too badly.

Good luck
    -A