Initial Board Certification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

djkl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question.

I went to the ABEM website trying to find some information about the initial certification for EM graduates.

Just one thing I am not sure if I understand right.

If you graduate, let's say, in 2014 - would you be getting all the application materials in 2013 or 2014? What is the earliest time frame you could potentially complete the whole ABEM certification process? In the year of your graduation of the year after that?

What confused me is the fact they mention a new certification info booklet every year, and the most current one is from 2011, while we are currently dealing with 2012 graduates.

Thanks for the info!

Members don't see this ad.

you would get the ABEM registration info prior to graduation.

fastest option - written exam in fall, orals in spring, board certified by early summer.

By early summer of the year after graduation - if I graduate in 2014 - then by summer of 2015?

Members don't see this ad :)
But there's an at least even chance that you won't be able to get a spot for the spring oral boards in which case you're looking at orals in the fall and getting certified Dec of the year after you graduate.

Thank you all for the replies. I participated in the ABEM pilot MOC exam last year. One of the compensations for the effort was the option of choosing my oral boards timing when I get to that point.