Injured by O-Chem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Disinence2

Emergency Medicine
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
While I was walking to my P-chem class this morning, I couldn't help but notice a trail of blood leading from the O-chem tutor room to outside!

I guess O-Chem was more than just mentally painfull for some unlucky student.

Anyone had this experience before?

Members don't see this ad.

While I was walking to my P-chem class this morning, I couldn't help but notice a trail of blood leading from the O-chem tutor room to outside!

I guess O-Chem was more than just mentally painfull for some unlucky student.

Anyone had this experience before?

Hmm...I once had an unfortunate incident in orgo lab involving benzene, dry ice, and a lab partner with the maturity of a 3-year old with a social disorder.....but no blood resulted. ;)

Word on the street is PChem is deadlier than Orgo...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm...I once had an unfortunate incident in orgo lab involving benzene, dry ice, and a lab partner with the maturity of a 3-year old with a social disorder.....but no blood resulted. ;)

I've heard Instrumental Analysis is worse than P.Chem. Apparently those foo-er, *eager* enough to take it play with machines that will kill you with great vengeance and furious anger if you stand in the wrong spot.

maybe the gunners are resorting to violence
Or blood sacrifice......
apeiron442.jpg

I've heard Instrumental Analysis is worse than P.Chem. Apparently those foo-er, *eager* enough to take it play with machines that will kill you with great vengeance and furious anger if you stand in the wrong spot.

I took Ochem, Pchem, and IA labs. We broke a lot of expensive machines. The worst thing that happened was that I took Ochem II lab in the last semester that the old OChem labs were used (we had a new wing built). The fume hoods didnt work, but we still had to keep the doors closed for safety. We were working with something particularly vile that day, and I'd say we were all a little loopy leaving lab. Everything was just really really funny. :D I expressed my concern about the broken fume hoods to the OChem lab director, and he asked me not to report them to the EPA. Apparently, the dept didnt feel it was necessary to fix the broken fume hoods when there was a brand new wing with new orgo labs to be used the next semester.

I have a friend who does research in an Ochem lab on campus and set himself on fire. He was cleaning out a tube with acetone and decided to hold it under a flame to dry it faster... :laugh: He never was the sharpest tool in the shed.

The biggest accident I've ever seen was someon who was lighting a bunsen burner while hovering over it. The knob at the bottom that controls the flow of oxygen popped off, and she almost set herself on fire. I was wondering about lab accidents while I was in Microbio earlier. Has anyone known anyone to get sick from handling cultures?

My advanced O-Chem lab partner (don't worry it's only for Chem majors) sliced his hand open trying to remove a stopper from a broken beaker. He was bleeding all over the place, but only needed a few stitches when all was said and done.

The biggest accident I've ever seen was someon who was lighting a bunsen burner while hovering over it. The knob at the bottom that controls the flow of oxygen popped off, and she almost set herself on fire. I was wondering about lab accidents while I was in Microbio earlier. Has anyone known anyone to get sick from handling cultures?

Not that I know of....and I think most strains that are used in undergrad bio labs are pretty harmless. Worst thing I've heard of is accidentally setting the beaker of ethanol on fire while trying to flame-sterilize the glass applicators....happens every year in every section of bio lab. :) It goes out on its own...eventually...

what crappy-ass lab manual still lets undergrads work with BENZENE?!?!?!? it's toxic beyond belief! we try to stay away from it as much as possible, and i work in an ochem group.

what crappy-ass lab manual still lets undergrads work with BENZENE?!?!?!? it's toxic beyond belief! we try to stay away from it as much as possible, and i work in an ochem group.

It was just for one experiment, the details of which apparently I have mercifully blocked out, but yeah, good ol' cancerous benzene. :thumbup:

Benzene, cyclohexene, 18M HCl, 18M HCN, 18M H2SO3Cl, 18M HNO3, etc., etc.

"Sure, you can wear gloves. They'll give you an extra second or two before the acid eats through them."

O.Chem is a weed-out course for more than academic reasons...

"Sure, you can wear gloves. They'll give you an extra second or two before the acid eats through them."

Not quite so bad, but one time in Gen Chem II (coincidentally, the one time I actually wore gloves during the lab), my bench partner spilled some 18M H2SO4 on the bench and failed to inform me. Setting down a beaker, my wrist (just below the glove line) touched the bench, and a couple seconds later, I had a very, very warm feeling on my wrist. It left a nice looking spot for quite awhile and I still have a small scar.

In the words of my orgo lab TA: "Eh. I don't have cancer, yet, and I've pretty much bathed in the stuff."

Then again, this is the (brilliant orgo PhD) girl who used to used to use lab acetone to change her nail polish (dipping her fingers into a flask).

I've seen a suicide by someone who drank cyanide they procured from a chemistry lab. It was wild.....

Here is a link to a thread on another forums where I presented the case for teaching purposes (granted teaching members on that forum (which I no longer frequent) is rather like trying to teach calculus to a bunch of autistic kids):
http://www.emtcity.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=359&highlight=cyanide

i lost my left arm and eyebrows to o-chem. :thumbdown:

A 6L flask of 20% bis-acrylamide solution cracked while I was holding it and the bottom fell out, leaving gashes in my legs...sat in the sink for half an hour rinsing myself.

I think our lab's flasks are crappy...in a previous incident, a 2L flask on a stirplate cracked while it was stirring acrylamide, and a fourth of the bottom of the flask just flew out. Luckily, all of us were at least ten feet away from the flask.