Injured Nerve in my Arm... Surgery Vs. Peds rotation first?

tachyon34

10+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2007
Status
Hey everybody I was wondering what you thought would be easier on my elbow (i have some ulnar neuropathy that might take a while to heal).

Do you think surgery rotations would be less physically demanding on my arms? surgery or Pediatrics?

I thought it would be surgery for sure but today we had a demo on how to checkup on an infant and there was a lot of moving around, picking up, holding etc. Was wondering what any MS3's thought.

thanks!

NAGNAM

10+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Seriously? If you go into a surgery and say "hey my arms sore" they'll make you hold up a 400 pound pannus until your arm literally falls off.

The surgery clerkship is like 80% holding stuff in the operating room and 20% carrying you residents' lunch trays. I managed to do all of peds without once picking up a child.

cpants

10+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Yeah, surgery is definitely harder on the body. You will be expected to retract for long periods of time.

Depakote

Pediatric Anesthesiologist
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2004
SOCMOB
Status
Attending Physician
Yeah, surgery is definitely harder on the body. You will be expected to retract for long periods of time.
true.

I did most of my physical examinations either with mom's help or with the child on the exam table. I don't think I ever had to hold a child...

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Agreed. There's really no question here. In terms of physical demand/ need for dexerity, I'd rank the cores as follows Surgery > OB > IM > Peds > Psych.