Innappropriate on Social Media

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted815796

So I know a person who has prematched at a very prestigious medical school this year and this irks me beyond belief. We have always been told to watch what we post on social media and this person simply ... does not. I'm talking constantly posting about having sex, cussing people out, raunchy pictures, etc. I want to report this person to the school soooo badly but I know that just makes me another jealous and petty pre-med. This person's dad is a doctor working at one of the affiliate hospitals and I just have a feeling that that has something to do with it. I cannot believe they are on social media with their full name in their profile and no one on the admissions committee caught this. 🙄 Anyway, I just wanted to rant so if anyone has any other similar experiences lmk so I can just get over it.

Members don't see this ad.

• Dislike
  • Sad
Reactions: 8 users
I don’t think talking about sex and being raunchy on a private platform is a med school’s business. If that were the case no med student should be allowed on Tinder lol, have you seen some of the bios? Cussing people out is probably a nonissue as long as it’s not serious threats or racist/ sexist comments.

If this person were openly insanely racist or posting stuff like that one student who said they’ll give the wrong meds to Jewish people or something, that’s a whole different story (they lost their residency spot, btw)

We should be able to be as raunchy as we desire in private (long as it’s legal), and reasonable cussing in private shouldn’t have any consequences.That’s just my opinion.

I don’t think talking about sex and being raunchy on a private platform is a med school’s business. If that were the case no med student should be allowed on Tinder lol, have you seen some of the bios? Cussing people out is probably a nonissue as long as it’s not serious threats or racist/ sexist comments.

If this person were openly insanely racist or posting stuff like that one student who said they’ll give the wrong meds to Jewish people or something, that’s a whole different story (they lost their residency spot, btw)

We should be able to be as raunchy as we desire in private (long as it’s legal), and reasonable cussing in private shouldn’t have any consequences.That’s just my opinion.
Yeah I definitely agree that in private you should be able to post as you wish like on platforms like Tinder, Snapchat, or a private Instagram or Twitter. I guess my main issue was that its a public Twitter account where the name of the school is already in their bio and it just goes against everything we've been taught about being professional on social media. But thank you for your opinion, I genuinely appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad :)
so let me get this straight.....your gonna open your labtop, log into your email account and type a paragraph response to a medical school about a student posting sexual things, mind you, a school that you are not even apart of...............lol use that time studying for your mcat man cmon..

Reactions: 7 users
Not every school is going to check you out on social media. It can be difficult to do when someone has a common name or the same name as a celebrity.

Yes, some people need to be careful about what is posted as it could hurt their reputation with patients and their families and decrease their credibility in professional situations.

Reactions: 3 users
I tell medical students to "Run your own race. Don't worry about what others are doing or how they study." This is also good advice for pre meds. Just like teaching my kids to drive, I tell them nothing good happens backing up. Do it as infrequently as possible. Likewise, nothing you post on social media is going to help you get accepted to med school. Do it as little as possible. It can only hurt you. Plenty of jerks get accepted to med school, you can't do anything about that. Just remember, Karma is a ....... you know the rest. Good luck and best wishes!

It's foolish on your acquaintance's part to post those things. It would also be foolish of you to become the premedical version of hall monitor. If I was on the admissions committee, I'd reject you too as you would come off as a jealous, vindictive, bitter, whiny, and cut throat.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
What are you going to do when a patient cusses you out? Tell the med schools and try to ruin their chances?

There is no need to be a Karen when it is not your problem don't get involved unless it's a situation that someone might need your help. (i.e. bullying, sexual harassment).

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Y'allllll I ain't a snitch lmao I just wanted to voice my frustrations and had a moment of snitch weakness. Just annoyed that someone can post their titties and talk about sucking dick all the time for the world to see with no repercussions but yeah I gotta learn to mind my own business more 🤷🏽‍♀️ what can I say

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Dislike
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Y'allllll I ain't a snitch lmao I just wanted to voice my frustrations and had a moment of snitch weakness. Just annoyed that someone can post their titties and talk about sucking dick all the time for the world to see with no repercussions but yeah I gotta learn to mind my own business more 🤷🏽‍♀️ what can I say
are you gonna judge your patients the same way?
So I know a person who has prematched at a very prestigious medical school this year and this irks me beyond belief. We have always been told to watch what we post on social media and this person simply ... does not. I'm talking constantly posting about having sex, cussing people out, raunchy pictures, etc. I want to report this person to the school soooo badly but I know that just makes me another jealous and petty pre-med. This person's dad is a doctor working at one of the affiliate hospitals and I just have a feeling that that has something to do with it. I cannot believe they are on social media with their full name in their profile and no one on the admissions committee caught this. 🙄 Anyway, I just wanted to rant so if anyone has any other similar experiences lmk so I can just get over it.

why are you "sl*t shaming" someone and actively imagining ways to harm another person by sabotaging their life?

i think you should really think about this mindset you have... we need less of this rampant jealousy/toxic competition and judgmental behavior in medicine and among premeds in general...

• Love
  • Dislike
Reactions: 16 users
It could just be they are a very open person about sexuality and not intentionally posting just because they have affiliate connections. If they were posting stuff that was racist, sexist, or making fun of disabled people then that would be a whole nother story. But posting about sex, while perhaps not professional if they are graphic about it, shouldn't be a huge deal. People have sex, sex is normal. No one is being harmed from her posts (except maybe herself since it isn't the most professional).

Are they topless in their photos? If so, how is that any different than a man posting a picture of him wjthout a shirt? Society sexualizes women's breasts. If she is just wearing a skimpy top, so what? It isn't what I would post on my personal social media page, but I'm not going to judge her for doing so.

Last edited:
  • Love
She will make a great doctor.

• Haha
For all you know, she could be a brilliant student and great humanitarian who (like a lot of young people) enjoys sex and partying.

• Love
Was going to comment when I first saw this post but seems like other posters have their head spun on right and corrected you.

Regardless of nobody liking a snitch, its pretty problematic for you to start slut shaming someone and thinking you are above them because you don't talk about "sucking dick" or posting titties on your public Twitter page.

Physicians are human too. This obsession with marketing physicians as this morally-excellent human being needs to stop. Physicians go through all the struggles other people do and they also have all the same desires as other people. This mindset you have further pushes misogynistic tendencies and furthers the gap between physicians and their patients.

As long as the physician is professional in the workplace then it should be no concern to you what else they do outside of work. You have some serious contemplation to do.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Was going to comment when I first saw this post but seems like other posters have their head spun on right and corrected you.

Regardless of nobody liking a snitch, its pretty problematic for you to start slut shaming someone and thinking you are above them because you don't talk about "sucking dick" or posting titties on your public Twitter page.

Physicians are human too. This obsession with marketing physicians as this morally-excellent human being needs to stop. Physicians go through all the struggles other people do and they also have all the same desires as other people. This mindset you have further pushes misogynistic tendencies and furthers the gap between physicians and their patients.

As long as the physician is professional in the workplace then it should be no concern to you what else they do outside of work. You have some serious contemplation to do.
I really don't care what people do in their private lives, who they are attracted to, or their politics. I really don't. Their private life is their private life. Once on social media, it is no longer their private life. For people not to realize what they post on social media is a reflection of their character, and can translate into a reflection on their employer, is imo a reflection on their poor judgement. Face it. We are in the midst of an Orwellian Cancel Culture right now. Any evening news program currently has examples of this. How many examples of people suffering the ramifications of social media posts do people need to see before they realize such postings can have very negative consequences on their career? Can someone have poor judgement in their social lives and have great judgement in their professional lives? I suppose, but my instincts tell me that there is most likely some overlap. Resident and attending physicians have been fired for social media posts. Post such things as the OP describes on social media at your own peril.

You do you and let Fate take its course.

And recognize that you do not have control over other people's actions. And save your moral outrage for children starving in Yemen and Syria right now.

are you gonna judge your patients the same way?

why are you "sl*t shaming" someone and actively imagining ways to harm another person by sabotaging their life?

i think you should really think about this mindset you have... we need less of this rampant jealousy/toxic competition and judgmental behavior in medicine and among premeds in general...
Agreed. There's a lot of "this person doesn't deserve to get in" undertones here. IMHO while it's common in competitive environments, that "this person doesn't deserve XXXX" thinking is incredibly insidious

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
I really don't care what people do in their private lives, who they are attracted to, or their politics. I really don't. Their private life is their private life. Once on social media, it is no longer their private life. For people not to realize what they post on social media is a reflection of their character, and can translate into a reflection on their employer, is imo a reflection on their poor judgement. Face it. We are in the midst of an Orwellian Cancel Culture right now. Any evening news program currently has examples of this. How many examples of people suffering the ramifications of social media posts do people need to see before they realize such postings can have very negative consequences on their career? Can someone have poor judgement in their social lives and have great judgement in their professional lives? I suppose, but my instincts tell me that there is most likely some overlap. Resident and attending physicians have been fired for social media posts. Post such things as the OP describes on social media at your own peril.
In reality, yes, you are correct. We live in a society where certain actions are viewed negatively and, as such, people face repercussions.

The intent of my original post was to simply inform OP that his slut shaming, jealous, and "better-than-thou" perspective perpetuates issues with medicine and society as a whole.

Reactions: 1 users