"Inorganic Chemistry" = G-Chem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
L

LuvCaramelFraps

When schools and Pharmacas say "Inorganic Chemistry" are they referring to General Chemistry? I was a Chemistry major as an undergrad and I took an upper division class called "Inorganic Chemistry" that was devoted to an in depth study of the f-block of the periodic table. So I am assuming that "Inorganic Chemistry" means G-Chem right?

Members don't see this ad.

When schools and Pharmacas say "Inorganic Chemistry" are they referring to General Chemistry? I was a Chemistry major as an undergrad and I took an upper division class called "Inorganic Chemistry" that was devoted to an in depth study of the f-block of the periodic table. So I am assuming that "Inorganic Chemistry" means G-Chem right?

Yeah, most people don't know about that upper level course and they mean general chemistry. I can't think of a school that requires anything beyond organic (except maybe a few that want biochemistry), so sure it is general.

Though there is a chem major course that is actually hardcore inorganic chem like Knickerbocker mentioned, an introductory chemistry course called inorganic chemistry is equivalent to gen chem to the pharmacy schools' eyes. The reason why some schools refer to general chemistry by that name is because those classes provide a short introduction to organic chemistry. I would guess that your class wouldn't.

Since you have to take organic chemistry anyway, this distinction is moot.

Inorganic means everything that's not organic chem. I was a chem major too, and PharmCAS counted everything from general chem to inorganic, physical, qualitative analysis, quantum, instrumental analysis, etc., as "inorganic chem". The only courses that were considered organic were organic chem (obviously) and if you take advanced o-chem, etc.