Inpatient Acute Rehab New York metro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RodofEbullience

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm a first year attending doing independent contractor IRF work. I'm enjoying it so far and feel like I made the right career choice. I was wondering though why the national for-profit rehab companies (Kindred, Vibra,Encompass) don't have IRFs in the metro NY area? The closest I could find was Kindred's hospital in Madison NJ. Is there any reason why they haven't expanded to, say, Long Island (where there seems to be plenty of SNFs). And of course the IRFs that are in NYC proper are all academic-run, and I'm assuming those docs are employed.

Does anyone know of any IRFs in that area which give privileges to PM&R attendings who can be independent and not employed? Not looking for SNF consult gigs.

Members don't see this ad.

Market share/saturation? Manhattan alone has about 4 IPR: NYU, Columbia, Cornell, Metro. Why open up a McDonalds near 4 other McDonalds?

Reactions: 1 users
Market share/saturation? Manhattan alone has about 4 IPR: NYU, Columbia, Cornell, Metro. Why open up a McDonalds near 4 other McDonalds?
Certainly I get Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Queens. But even out in Long Island? Not a single for-profit IRF? Is the academic stranglehold that strong on that area?

Members don't see this ad :)
You have St Charles hospital in Pt Jefferson and Nassau University. For profit would not want to build in area that has so much saturation. Encompass is busy building hospitals in Florida.

Long Island is a very tough market for inpatient acute rehabilitation although the market for subacute is great (a lot of companies are in there "acquiring facilities"). There is Glen Cove, Mercy, St Charles, and NUMC from what I know and unfortunately, if you want to work for these health systems, you are at the mercy of their compensation which is at times lower than NYC from what I hear. It makes more financial sense to work in subacute even under these companies where you can do much better than work for the other systems-- of whom also the noncompetes cover each other that its tough to get another inpatient gig unless youre willing to drive out further or into the city