Inpatient fellowship after FM residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thedman888

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard several programs offer this fellowship training. Is it worthwhile if an FM grad is interested in doing inpatient in the city since many hospitals have their own IM team handling the inpatient load?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't really see the point, unless you just feel like you need the additional training. FM residency should be adequate preparation for inpatient medicine at most programs, for most people.

I found that a good number of FM programs have poor inpatient training. Mostly in ICU and CCU and NICU.

General inpatient is good.

But I understand that the hopitalist programs for FP focous on the above topics.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there many hospitalists training programs and has anyone used it to boost there cv or salary. I think it should but just wanted to know others thought

Most hospitalists jobs want a board certified/eligible IM or FP. I've never seen one posted asking for an IM or Fellowship trained FP. I think it's a waste of time. If you are interested in hospital work go to a program with a strong inpatient component. There are plenty of these out there, you just have to do your research. I'm at an unopposed program so we don't compete with IM residents for cases and we take care of our patients in the ICU. I feel fully capable of taking care of hospital patients. If you're interested, when interviewing ask how many former graduates are hospitalists, we've had many so it should give you a rough idea.

You'll find several hospitalist fellowships listed here: http://www.aafp.org/fellowships/other.html
A quick sampling:

Lifestyle Medicine fellowship.
Community Health fellowship.
Primary Care Informatics fellowship.
Health Psychology fellowship.
Leadership (?) fellowship.
Homeland Security Studies fellowship. (finally, family medicine has found a way to capitalize on post 9/11 hysteria.:thumbup: )

Let's see...where's the emoticon I'm looking for...

:barf:

In the immortal words of some singer whose name I can't remember right now:
"Get a haircut, and GET A REAL JOB!"

A quick sampling:

Lifestyle Medicine fellowship.
Community Health fellowship.
Primary Care Informatics fellowship.
Health Psychology fellowship.
Leadership (?) fellowship.
Homeland Security Studies fellowship. (finally, family medicine has found a way to capitalize on post 9/11 hysteria.:thumbup: )

Let's see...where's the emoticon I'm looking for...

:barf:

In the immortal words of some singer whose name I can't remember right now:
"Get a haircut, and GET A REAL JOB!"

This is true. Many of the fellowships in FM are useless in the real world and are only good if you have a year or two to throw away on acadaminc interest.

The Hospitalist fellowships are good. The sports medicine can be good if done correctly and if you find a job with a strong emphasis on sports medicine.

The ob/gyn fellowships are good but then where are you going to practice ob as an FM in the next 10 years?

Most hospitalists jobs want a board certified/eligible IM or FP. I've never seen one posted asking for an IM or Fellowship trained FP. I think it's a waste of time. If you are interested in hospital work go to a program with a strong inpatient component. There are plenty of these out there, you just have to do your research. I'm at an unopposed program so we don't compete with IM residents for cases and we take care of our patients in the ICU. I feel fully capable of taking care of hospital patients. If you're interested, when interviewing ask how many former graduates are hospitalists, we've had many so it should give you a rough idea.

CDow18, do you do both inpatient and outpatient work as a boarded FP? Is this something that you tailored your job to look like, or just what the practice you're involved in needs/wants?

As I mentioned I am still in residency; however, I do plan on doing some inpatient work because I am wanting to go rural and I just like the continuity with the patients and I like to do both inpatient and outpatient. I can always decide later to just do outpatient. I would say most of my fellow residents are planning are just doing outpatient, which for the most part is a lifestyle choice. Seeing patients in the hospital and clinic can make for some long days. I only plan on admitting to one hospital. There are some crazy docs here in town that do a full clinic and admit to three hospitals. I would like to have some semblence of a life and would like for my kids to know who I am.

The ob/gyn fellowships are good but then where are you going to practice ob as an FM in the next 10 years?

Well, time for a soapbox moment. Not to hijack, but we ARE discussing fellowships...

Let's see, according to ads in American Family Physician May 2007, you could practice OB in:

East San Francisco Bay, CA (1)
Iowa (3)
Maine (5)
Massachusetts (7)
Minnesota (3)
New Hampshire (5 + 1 faculty position with OB)
North Carolina (1)
Utah (3)
Wisconsin (10)

This is a very small sampling, and I know from attending recruiting fairs that Texas alone has many opportunities for FP with OB. I personally know a number of graduating 3rd year residents who were recruited for their OB skills.

Rural communities (it should be no surprise that many of these opportunities are rural or semi-rural) have a difficult time supporting an OBGyn. Many rural areas are great for the full-spectrum trained FP with OB.

It's very popular to echo the typical party line on FP with OB, which is that it is categorically impossible, but when you start really looking at opportunities and talking to people, you realize it's not at all a closed door for FPs.

Descending soap box. Carry on. ;)

you don't have to do a fellowship in hospital medicine to be a hospitalist. Unless your program is severely lacking in hospital training.
I currently round in the hospital 1 week every 6 weeks along with all of my other FM collegues. And there is group of 4 hopitalists that work there full time and one of them is FM trained. And I work in an Urban setting. By no way can this area be called rural.
One thing to keep in mind is your residency is what you make of it. You will get several electives in your second and third years of residency. You can always chose to do another month of ICU or if you want a hospital rotation. But most programs provide more than enough hospital training. It is true I only had 1 month of ICU training. But even my IM collegues leave vent management to the pulmonary/critical care team. But I still handle non vent patients in the ICU and the pulmonologist is always available to curbside if I have a question.

In my opinion it would be a waste of time to do a hospital fellowship.