Inpatient Manipulation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigSib

Rural Family Dr
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reaching out to all osteopathic students about their experiences with inpatient manipulation. It was very scarce for me, so I'm wondering what kind of experiences others have had. Every OMM encounter I've had has been on the outpatient basis, largely because many of the inpatient physicians have been MDs. What kind of techniques do you do (lymphatics, rib raising only)?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't touch them. Inpatient people are crawling with hospital bugs and aren't able to shower as often they would like to.

Rib raising and colonic stimulation for constipation, and cervical HVLA and a v-spread for a SVT (it actually worked). That's about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'd like to mirror cliquesh above me; mostly rib raising and colonic stimulation, tried some techniques like mesenteric lift, tried my best to do suboccipital release from the side of the inpatient bed, i felt like it didn't always work too well given the weird angle. i had a pt with myasthenia gravis with trouble breathing; did redoming diaphragm, rib raising, and suboccipital release but think that didn't help too much.

Probably the best success for me inpatient I think was stimulating the bowels; so rib raising in relevant areas, some sacral techniques, suboccipital release, and direct viscera manipulation. just be sure to wear gloves and maybe a gown if needed lol
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23485980: here's an article about postop ileus and OMT.

Also did some gentle lymphatic techniques for people with lymphedema (cancer patients often) if they didn't have CHF or something; after all those people go to a lymph clinic that do similar things.

i had a pt with myasthenia gravis with trouble breathing; did redoming diaphragm, rib raising, and suboccipital release but think that didn't help too much.v
b8em6w