Input/Advice Please..Chance post

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

innovate14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm new here. Please help me out. What are my chances? Also, I have scheduled to take GRE again on Dec 1st. Will the scores make it before the Dec 15th deadline for some schools? Do I send the GRE scores straight to SOPHAS or to the schools?

3.6 from a University of California school
Low Gre: 680Q 340V
Ethnic minority
Double Major Immunology/Virology and Psychology
Tons of ER hours, shadowing physicians in office and OR
Founding member of two fraternities (one academic, one social)
Multiple jobs (Web designer, tutor, sales rep, etc.)
1 year stem cell research
Almost 1 year microbial evolution research
1 year public health research in epidemiology
I teach biology at a high school as a student assistant for 2 years.

Do I have a chance at any of the top 10 schools for MPH?
JHU (MS), Harvard (MS), Yale, Columbia, CAL, UCLA, Emory, UNC, University of Washington, Michigan?

Any advice/help would be appreciated. Should I submit with these GRE scores or wait until Dec 1? I will not be able to apply to a few schools whose deadlines are Dec 1st.

Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

you may need to bring up that GRE score if you want to make it into a top 10

Members don't see this ad :)
Its not pathetic, it just needs work. I would advise getting a GRE practice and retaking. Your quantitative score is fine. Try to bring up the verbal a hundred points or so. Why does top 10 matter? Pursue a school that has a program that matches your interests and is accredited.

I wasn't aware this board was about bashing someone's scores, etc.
Is the verbal score low? Yes. There are hundreds of other adjectives you could have used to express this besides pathetic. It leads me to wonder what your verbal score was on the GRE.

Innovate, you are going to need to retake the test if your heart is set on a top ten school. Most schools (even outside of top 10) prefer that you have scores above the 50th percentile on both sections and break and a combined score of 1100. For Epi programs at top 10 schools you will need at least over a 750 (most looking for 770-800). You have good experience that will help your application but you will need to get those scores up if you are determined to attend a top 10. Good luck! :)

I wasn't aware this board was about bashing someone's scores, etc.
Is the verbal score low? Yes. There are hundreds of other adjectives you could have used to express this besides pathetic. It leads me to wonder what your verbal score was on the GRE.

Innovate, you are going to need to retake the test if your heart is set on a top ten school. Most schools (even outside of top 10) prefer that you have scores above the 50th percentile on both sections and break and a combined score of 1100. For Epi programs at top 10 schools you will need at least over a 750 (most looking for 770-800). You have good experience that will help your application but you will need to get those scores up if you are determined to attend a top 10. Good luck! :)

When you say over a 750, are you referring to Quant score only?? Surely schools do not look for over 750 on both sections, or I'd say most of us should just give up now. :)

Innovate: Most of the schools websites list average GRE scores so you can see where you fall competition-wise. But yes, I'd say you need to get that verbal score way up, even more than 100 points. And asap! Your quant score is ok..it is at average for some of the schools and a little below average for some. Also, you didn't say what your score on the writing was...if this was also low, then combined with your verbal it will be a huge red flag to admissions.

For Epi programs at top 10 schools you will need at least over a 750 (most looking for 770-800). You have good experience that will help your application but you will need to get those scores up if you are determined to attend a top 10. Good luck! :)

I'm in a MPH Epi program at a top 5 school and my GRE Q score barely broke 700. There are other aspects of your application that can compensate for mediocre test scores (and I am a "traditionally" aged student, out of college for a year before starting grad school, and without significant work experience in the field. It can be done). With that said, I would try to bring up your verbal score - 340 will likely not cut it.

Last edited:
Yes, I meant quant :)

I wasn't saying it can't be done, but as a rule they do look to see higher quant scores at top 5 schools for epi as opposed to other concentrations.

It's kind of like a 3.0 GPA...while most schools say its a requirement there are students accepted that do not have a 3.0 but have very strong apps due to work experience, volunteering, personal statement, GRE, etc.

I still suggest bringing both up to above the 50th percentile (quant is already there) to make you a more competitive candidate. There are many study aids available to help you bring your score up and with a little work I have no doubt that you will be able to achieve your goal.

I'm not sure that your scores will get there in time for the Dec. 15 deadline. ETS says they take 10-15 days to process and mail the scores. Both sets of my GRE scores were mailed on the 15th day.

Some scores are sent to SOPHAS, and others are sent directly to the school. But there is no SOPHAS code; if a school wants the scores to come from SOPHAS, you'll still have to use the school's public health code.

It may still be a good idea to retake the GRE (especially to bring up the verbal score to at least 50%). I know Emory and Mich have January deadlines.

ETA: Yeah, my quant score didn't break 700 either.