Input appreciated - Ohio State vs UVA vs Pitt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

powerbooki

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Tuitions aside, any inputs greatly appreciated (including living costs).

Members don't see this ad.

Prestige: Pitt > UVA > OSU
Lifestyle: UVA > Pitt = OSU
Grading: UVA (true P/F, I think) > OSU (ranked P/F) > Pitt (H/P/F)

What matters most to you?

Members don't see this ad :)
What matters most to you?

Among the people I interacted with at OSU and Pitt, I found different energies in them. While OSU folks were more outgoing and relaxed, Pitt folks were highly focused on studies/research and their was an air of seriousness. OSU administration felt like exploring new grounds and flexible, Pitt's felt more established and an institution that has figured out what works best for them. Location wise, OSU is an open new campus (with the shoe as a big attraction), while Pitt has a lot of tall buildings in a big city with more things to do.

As far as cost of housing is concerned, I felt that OSU would be cheaper. Students were able to find cheap housing in walking distance to the campus. OSU might have in-state tuition after an year (someone else should verify). I am not sure of the other costs though!

Ah... yes. :)

I saw that the OP asked that we not consider tuition, but I forgot that cost of living was on the table.

Cost of Living:
Pitt (83.60) > OSU (101.00) = UVA (101.80), where "100" is the average in the U.S.

Source: http://www.bestplaces.net/

So it's cheaper to live in Pittsburgh than Columbus? I'd thought it's the otherway around.

I interviewed at all three schools, and I found the staff, faculty, and students at UVA to be the nicest I met anywhere. The staff seems extremely supportive and the students ridculously happy, laid back, and willing to help each other out. OSU's class size was just too big for me. I would say Pitt=UVA in terms of prestige. They both have great reputations and excellent match lists. UVA has far less required class time than Pitt does. (8-12 with 1-2 afternoons/week). Oh, and Charlottesville is beautiful.

It's a personal decision, obviously, and you can't really go wrong with any of those schools.

See thats weird. I had an internship in Pitt and now go to OSU. I can live much better in Columbus for a lot less money. And I love Columbus a lot more :).

I interviewed at all three schools, and I found the staff, faculty, and students at UVA to be the nicest I met anywhere. The staff seems extremely supportive and the students ridculously happy, laid back, and willing to help each other out. OSU's class size was just too big for me. I would say Pitt=UVA in terms of prestige. They both have great reputations and excellent match lists. UVA has far less required class time than Pitt does. (8-12 with 1-2 afternoons/week). Oh, and Charlottesville is beautiful.

It's a personal decision, obviously, and you can't really go wrong with any of those schools.

I'm not sure I would agree with Pitt equaling UVA in terms of prestige. Anyone else?