input from NYCOM students...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
K

Kimchi95

Can any of the current or former NYCOM students tell me about pros and cons of the school?

Members don't see this ad.

NYCOM is a good school for a lot of reasons.
NYCOM has amazing clinical affiliations. There are somewhere between 15 and 20 hospitals that NYCOM is associated with. Clinical affiliations are important for two reasons. First, they provide a place for third and fourth year students to learn, Second, they provide opportunities to snag that all important residency in the future. The larger the network of affiliations your school has, the more diversified your clinical education will be. Also, the more hospitals that know your school, the easier it is to get that residency.
NYCOM also has a very good reputation in the New York area. NYCOM students are known for knowing their stuff. The school is highly respected and known for turning out quality students. If you are worried about that "osteopathic" stigma going into the hospitals, chances are you won't encounter them at NYCOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi. I thought that I'd respond to your studentdoc posting. I'm a first year at NYCOM.
Some other pros about NYCOM:
We get a whole month off after second year to study for the boards and we get six weeks off after the end of first year. Vacations and study time become some of the most important things you care about in med school!
Um, as far as cons go, there will always be some. It really depends on your own personal preferences.
NYCOM implemented a new testing schedule for the first years this year. We are basically the guinea pigs. In the past the first years, starting in October had a test every monday morning. Basically they had one test in one subject covering three or four weeks of material and they would just rotate the subjects being tested, i.e Week 1 would be Anatomy, week two would be biochem, week three would be OMM, and week four would go back to anatomy. This year, they changed all of that. We have four to five weeks of classes and a week of tests. Monday is the Anatomy Practical, Tuesday is free. Wednesday is the OMM practical. Thursday and Friday are the written examinations. The reason for the change in exam policy was basically that students were spending all week studying for the upcoming test on monday and basically forgetting about all the other subjects. Obviously, the old way was more condusive to cramming. The new way allows you to spend equal time on every subject every week. However, if you tried to cram, you wouldn't do very well. You really need to keep up with everything and not fall behind. The good part is that you get a few relatively stress free weeks and some free weekends, including the weekend right after exam week where there is absolutely no new material for you to study and you can do whatever you want. Now, whether this is a pro or con, depends on your own personal preferences and how you like to study and budget your time.
The way the school day runs:
twice a week you will have anatomy lab from 1 till 5.
once a week you will have OMM lab which is scheduled from 1 till 5. Most of the time you are out by 3:30.
There are classes from 9 till 12, then an hour lunch break. After lunch you either have lab or more classes. The afternoon classes usually run till 4 or 5. Occasionally, you'll get out by 2:30.
This is the way things are for the first year from August till Christmas. Things change a little after the new year and the days tend to be a little shorter because the classes and labs you take change.
NYCOM's first year starts with OMM, Physiology, Anatomy, and Biochemistry.
There is a dress code at NYCOM, but I think that is the case at most schools. Basically you have to wear your white coat.
There is no mandatory attendance policy, except for labs.
Class size at NYCOM is rather large. I think its around 250. But I really don't think its that much of a problem, at least it hasen't been for me. The only places where it could potentially be a problem is in labs. In both OMM and Anatomy though, I've never felt like I haven't gotten the attention I've needed. The Professors, Fellows, and TAs are always around and there is always enough help for those who need it during lab as well as outside of lab.
All the professors at NYCOM pretty much have an open door policy. The answer questions over email as well as questions posted to our student web board. Anatomy Fellows hold reviews for both the practical and written starting two weeks before exams, basically every day during lunch, after school, and on weekends. The OMM fellows hold reviews for OMM lab stuff one day every week during lunch time and hold two two hour review sessions the weekend before the practical. Afterwards, they are available to help you practice your techniques. Some organizations on campus hold mock practicals also. For this testing cycle, the professors have been holding review sessions during lunch and after school for those student swho need things clarified.
The library is small, but you really won't be spending too much time there. There are plenty of other study areas around that are much more condusive to studying. There are two quiet study rooms, tons of group study rooms, and lecture halls that can be used as study space. And you are always free to use the NYIT library if you really need that library atmosphere.
There is a weight room at NYCOM. Its small but sufficient. Most students use a local gym that gives a major discount to NYCOM students. The student lounge had a ping pong table, a fuse ball table, a big screen tv hooked up to direct tv, and some couches.
The cafeteria does not serve hot food but they are planning on putting in a kitchen this summer to allow for that and starting an optional meal plan for next year. Currently most students either bring their own lunch, go out for lunch, or buy lunch from the sandwich guy.
The computer lab is also kinda small but no one has ever had any problem getting a computer when they needed one.
The area around NYCOM does tend to be a little pricy. Most people have roommates to off set the cost. Most people pay between $300 and $500 each for rent. People also complain about traffic. Thats really only a problem during rush hour and if you live close enough, like in Glen Cove or Sea Cliff, its really not a problem. I do recommend that if you do decide to come to NYCOM that you start looking for housing in May or June when all the second years are giving up their apartments. It gets a little harder to find a place the later in the summer you start. There is a housing book in the library and housing postings on th web board that help a lot when you are looking for a place to live.
Lets see, the only other con I can think of are the geese. They are everywhere on campus and they don't leave for the winter. There have been several campaigns by the students to displace them, but to no avail. I guess we'll just have to live with them and their poop.
Thats about all I can think of right now. I know its alot. If you have any other questions, feel free to post them.
I can't imagine you would, but hey, ya never know.

And don't forget about all those brand new facilities at NYCOM!!
There is the brand new state of the art OMM lab with motorized OMM treatment tables!
The auditioriums are brand new too! Every desk has the ability to hook up to the internet and view course notes off of the academic web site, as well as IM your buddies when things get a little boring!

Oh, and one other good thing. The Professors give out their lecture notes (free of charge, they're photocopied by the school). Most of the notes are well written which eliminates the need to buy a ton of expensive texts.

I agree about the geese. They're such a pain! I say we get rid of them! Bring on the swans!

just another perspective on the whole NYCOM issue........... if you are truly interested in OMM, and you believe this will make you a stronger doctor, go to NYCOM as you will learn excellent manipulation skills. I really do not know your situation and I am not assuming anything here, but if you are conteplating going here just because it is a school you happened to get into, if you have a choice of any other NY state schools, you might want to reconsider. You will get as good of a medical education, without the whole hoopla and enormous stress seen put on students. The school seems to be in a huge transition state right now, with a large chunk of the administration leaving for various reasons. As far as student life goes, it means that you have 300+ students running around without the faintest idea as to what to expect in a lot of classes, as the criteria for the exams often change from year to year and sometimes even the professors that are teaching you the material do not get to ask you the questions on the exam......... I definitely agree with a lot of things that are said above regading the facilities and the clinical affiliations, but you might want to know that the curriculum at NYCOM is GRUELING as compared to other schools and the schedule/ curriculum doesnt make an effort to be student friendly, which only makes things more difficult in a school with over 300 students per class........ The school is experiencing growing pains and has come a REALLY far way in regard to facilities and study spaces, but there are still a lot of issues to hash out. If the deans ever get to listening to us , this might even happen in a few years.

As far as the whole DO idea, once you get out there into the clinics, noone really cares what your degree says. People do respect us and the school , quite possibly because they know we get killed in the first two years.

[This message has been edited by rosebud (edited 12-20-2000).]

hello:

i can't believe i remember my studentdoctor.net messageboard password after such a long excursion away from browsing the gossip here (and elsewhere).

i'm a first-year nycom student, and i've read above that the administration is in the process of hiring new faculty? i'm uncertain about the validity of that statement; i've only met one recently hired faculty member thus far--a member of the incredible anatomy staff. the students seem satisfied with the instruction and the professors thus far: all lectures are taught by people with doctoral/doctorate degrees (Ph.D.s, M.D.s, and D.O.s) whom are capable of providing adequate attention to students most of the time. same thing for labs: the professorial faculty make themselves available, together with sharp osteopathic fellows.

yes, the school's still in the construction process--i'm not referring to the faculty or curriculum; i mean that the landscape and some areas of the buildings are being adjusted, i.e., new carpeting, desks, study space, etc. i believe the site has been under construction for the past two years, and you'd be shocked at how much they've accomplished (including a brand new 3-floor building!).

it's a fine school--i say that with some pride because i've seen other schools which give me a basis for comparison--but the social atmosphere is terrible. i'm aware that nycom accepts a majority of new yorkers; i'm inclined to accuse that history of the students to explain how relatively unfriendly many are. med. students can't be that obtuse everywhere! before this turns into a post based on the principle that "you have to take the good with the bad," i'll just sign off and continue studying gastrointestinal physiology.

have a good weekend, everyone.

Okay. Not all first years at NYCOM feel the way the above posters feel about the social aspect at NYCOM. I guess it all depends on your individual personality. I am a single first year at NYCOM and I have plenty of other single first year friends. In fact, I think that the majority of first years are single. And yes, there are times when people are too busy to hang out, but that is usually because an exam week is coming up. A big hang out weekend is obviously the one right after exams. To the above posters, For future reference, a LOT of first years head to the Barefoot Peddlar on Glen Cove Road after the last exam for lunch. And later that night there is usually a local bar or club that most people go to.

I'm not sure I quite understand your situation. Why don't you just "tag" along with the group of people heading to post-exam parties? Don't you know people in your anatomy group? Are you in a study group? I'm sure you know people -- maybe you don't know them on any deep level but surely in a more superficial level. Just go to the after-exam parties, party hard with these people, and then hopefully you'll make some new friends.

You missed my original depressed post that I posted a long time ago on the forums under "Everything". I didn't post all that here. That's why most of you don't understand what lonliness I am talking about. My emotional situation was pretty bad when I wrote my first post about this a long time ago. Things have improved since then. I have gotten to know more people in my class but I haven't formed any close connections yet. My anatomy group isn't close to me either. Things have gotten better since anatomy got over...People are not confining themselves to their anatomy groups any more ...Everybody is trying to spread out and meet more new faces in class...So things are getting better. I like it now. However, it is not possible for me to just "tag" along with people after exams because they all go home to different places. They don't go to one single place and almost everybody I have talked to has plans of doing something with their significant other on that day. I really need to find out where people go so that I can be with them. I am a people person and cannot live without people...thats just me...I have never had difficulty finding friends but things just seem to be harder at NYCOM...I guess everybody is thinking about settling down with their significant others at this point of their life. May be people used their undergrad time to enjoy a social life and are now thinking of getting serious about their relationships. However, right now I am in medical school and I think its better that I just stay away from relationships ( though I am open to any) . I just need a group of friends to hang out with. I know another student in my class who told me that she found the people of our class reserved. I told her that I thought so too...I see her sometimes...I say " Hi" to her and we talk...things are developing slowly....this takes time. Its not going to happen overnight as I want! Somehow I will find out where my class goes after exams and that will give me more opportunities to hang out with them. Some people have also expressed on the NYCOM webboard about having some events like talent events where people can express their art talents etc...This just shows that there are people in class who feel that our class doesn't have enough social activities going on. I have been hanging out with a friend who studies almost all the time lately....I like to be with her...she gets all these amazing grades ( better than me)....it kind of makes me forget about socializing and I try to focus on studying harder to get grades like her.I talked to some second year students too and they also told me to forget about making friends here and to focus on studies. So thats where my focus is now...I just focus on my studies and am looking to find more study buddies. I have almost given up on finding a social environment here. So, I am okay now. I just have to keep myself busy...Some day I will get out of here and have a happier life. But right now, I will just have tosuck it all in and study. However, I really enjoy my studies. I don't feel pressured when I study ( except for GI physiology..( I am just dead scared of the kind of questions our GI professor will put next week!!)). I just don't understand why they had to stuff in 5 lectures of microbiology at the last moment right the week before the exam!!! I just hope I pass everything. Oh , it was such a beautiful day today! The sun was shining in the clear blue skies and the white snow covering everything....it was too good for studying!!Anyway, I have got to go now...It was nice chatting with you all...My study break is over...I have got to get back to my pulmonary physiology...Bye everybody...I will be back to talk after the exams.

DepressedNYCOMstudent,

You're right I haven't read your previous posts so I don't have much background information about you. But judging from the posts I have read, you sound like a really cool person.
I think I understand your situation better now. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you're frustrated about the superficial relationships you have with your classmates. You see these people everyday, you maybe work in study groups with them, and you maybe even say "hi" to one another when you see each other in the halls. But you don't really have YET that tight-knit circle of friends, the ones that you can share your deepest concerns with, the ones that truly care about you, the ones that when you're around them, you can just forgo all societal restrictions and just let loose.
All I can say is to be more open and confident. I think you're a good person and have a good heart, but yet you're also sort of clingy and needy. It's hard to make friends if you're so needy for their friendship? Do you know what I mean? Before other people can accept you, you have to accept yourself first.
I've posted below what someone wrote about finding love. Although you're looking for friendship, the following is still applicable.

"Love finds you when you are loving yourself (it's a push-pull thing with the universe. Chopra talks a little about this in *The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success*, an elegant little book).

Here's what I mean, specifically: What attracts me to a man or makes him attractive is the fact that he's *diversified*. Diversified, meaning, he's got a lot going on and has a few well-cultivated interests.

For example, aside from his studies or work: he's involved in a civic/community project or two (like Habitat, Big Brothers/Big Sisters); he's a regular runner; he likes to read a particular author or two (i.e., he can carry good conversation about the work of Steinbeck, Kozol or Dostoevsky); he is a practised cook; he can play a musical instrument well; he can speak a foreign language.

These are examples of things I look for. Someone who has developed himself. This is what I find exciting & attractive.

You are very young. Cultivate yourself for your own benefit and others will notice. It will make life more interesting."

Good luck and God bless you!

SniperBubble

Hey Depressed NYCOM student,

Dude!!!! If you spent less time on this web-board, and more time studying, you would be doing better in school, and maybe scoring some poon-tang to boot! Instead, you vomit out all of your complaints and crap onto the rest of us here on the web-board. I am a second year NYCOM student, and I am embarrased to know that a fool such as yourself attends NYCOM. Go take a jump into the skim milk pond, and have a cold bath. And shut up for a while! And if you are looking for a good time, I can hook you up with this really sexy harlot by the name of Svetlana....she has a huge mouth, and it is almost always open!
-you most helpful Liquid. :)

Alright, I think its time for all to play nice here. I am a third year at NYCOM and I have seen a lot of poeple have a hard time adjusting into the school because the class is so huge that there is no time (or space) to develop that bonding/herd mentality- you get info crammed down your throat immediately. People sometimes just really dont have an hour or two to spare hanging out, they are either too engrossed in physio or too stressed..... I saw this all over my classmates the first two years, and I cannot tell you how many wrong impressions I got not because anyone was a bad person, but mainly because they had other things going on in their lives. MOSTLY exam related. Chin up, adjustments are never easy , especially when combined with excessive stress and hysteria of block testing at NYCOM. I really do not know what other more practical suggestions to give you either than studying in the cafeteria or sitting in a specific spot in the class consistently..... and keep in mind, it takes while to sort of find a "pack" youll travel with. A lot of students did know each other before they came here, and a lot of people end up living together, thats how they fall into the groups they hang with, thats all. I hope thigns turn out for the better for you.............

Have you gotten an idea of NYCOM yet Kimchi? I feel that the greatest plus is its proximity to Queens where you can get the best kalbi and chachangmyun.

To Liquid_Tension

Dude!!!! If you spent less time on this web-board, and more time studying, you would be doing better in school, and maybe scoring some poon-tang to boot!

I just want to say that I am offended by this statement stated by you. I NEVER said that I was having problems with studying. I passed both Anatomy and Biochemistry with decent numbers. I have never had to take any retakes. About the upcoming exams, I have a good feeling about them...I have been studying...the material isn't as much as Anatomy was....So, I think everybody will do well this time. I am pretty sure I will pass. And about this webboard, first of all YOU are nobody to tell ME how I should be spending my time. So, if you cannot speak nicely to me then don't speak at all. Second, notice that I have typed most of my posts during my study BREAKS. I do take ten minute breaks during which I either come to this webboard to chat or watch TV etc. I can spend my break time any way that I want. Please do not tell me what to do with my free time! And yes, I do get some free time to chat and to do recreation stuff.. I am not the type of student who can sit on the same chair for 24 hours studying all the time!! And last but not the least, I write and talk a LOT and I type fast....So even though my posts look long it takes me only about a minute to pour out my heart to chat here. I am doing FINE in my studies and have no problems whatsoever in the studies arena. I am very offended and hurt by your post. Who do you think you are? If you cannot speak to me with respect then don't speak to me at all....Most of my posts ( except this one ofcourse) do not have anything that might be disrepectful to anybody. Please don't speak to me. I am a very sensitive girl and I do not like being around rude uncaring people like yourself. I guess you were never taught how to behave with people. Well, you are NOT the type of person I am looking around to meet at NYCOM. So, stay away from me...Sheesh!! you just spoilt my mood! No wonder I can't find nice friendly people at NYCOM!!!! My study break is over...I have got to go. Bye.

[This message has been edited by DepressedNYCOMstudent (edited 02-02-2001).]

Originally posted by Liquid_Tension:
Hey Depressed NYCOM student,

Dude!!!! If you spent less time on this web-board, and more time studying, you would be doing better in school, and maybe scoring some poon-tang to boot! Instead, you vomit out all of your complaints and crap onto the rest of us here on the web-board. I am a second year NYCOM student, and I am embarrased to know that a fool such as yourself attends NYCOM. Go take a jump into the skim milk pond, and have a cold bath. And shut up for a while! And if you are looking for a good time, I can hook you up with this really sexy harlot by the name of Svetlana....she has a huge mouth, and it is almost always open!
-you most helpful Liquid. :)

Liquid_tension...we were concerned that your sstatements may be misinterpreted. Personally I would be honored to be closer with Svetlana. She probably encompases what we should all be aspiring to become. She has an amazing spirit and excitement for the field...not to mention a passion that just drives those that she surrounds. I wish that you might find this in yourself. I hope that you might approach your future patients with more tact. It is important for physicuans to be empathic, without cutting or offending. If someone is having a hard time adjusting then either help them or leave them be. If you dont feel it in yourself that all people here are important and that the school is only as strong as the sum of its parts...then perhaps you have missed what exactly this school is trying to accomplish. To depressedNYCOMstudent...there are two of us that would love to include you in plans..not that we have any or regularly do much beyon cross paths in the lovely study room...but we could make a point to do something...no one should feel like they are out on their own...we could meet after class or something...or take a ten minute study break together...god knows that we could all use a little unwinding. Well..good luck to all studying for our exams that begin on monday...and hopefully we will all be unscathed by physiology!! no worries...lumbar and the lightening bone setter

Did I mention the fact that the kalbi is really really really good in Queens! it's only a quick twenty minute drive...

I went to Kum Gang San on Northern in Flushing just the other night on a friend's recommendation. I had Bibim bap and, while I enjoyed the appetizers and stuff that came with the meal, the actual entree was on the bland side. And this with the "spicy" sauce!

I've heard there are better places, although none are as pretty on the inside as Kum Gang San. I went to some place in Corona which wasn't so bad, but I can't remeber exactly where it is... Somewhere along Roosevelt Avenue, but I don't think that'll help at all.
smile.gif

Tim W. of N.Y.C.

Dear Depressed NYCOM student (and all other first year students).

Good luck on your exams this week. I hope things go well for you. If I can be of any help, please let me know.

-your friendly and helpful Liquid :)