Inquiring About Application Status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ElegantWeapon

MS3
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
While I have been blessed with 4 acceptances so far, I have not heard from one of my rolling schools that I interviewed VERY early for (I believe it was one of the first possible days to interview). My interviewer seemed very responsive to email (sent update letter) and responded to my written thank you via email.

I was wondering if it would be considered bad form to tentatively ask my interviewer via email about the status of my application ("if there is anything you can divulge about the status of my application") despite the fact that these things obviously happen behind closed doors with a committee.

Thanks for the opinions.

-EW

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know that I would contact your interviewer... Have you tried calling the admissions office and inquiring that way?

I don't know that I would contact your interviewer... Have you tried calling the admissions office and inquiring that way?

i haven't-do you think that would be fruitful in terms of a response? does the general office have something to say more than an interviewer that has to act as your "representative"?

Members don't see this ad :)
i don't think it can hurt, but often times interviewers are as much in the dark as you are. i'd call the admissions office, it sounds like in your situation that wouldn't come off as desperate or annoying.

In some schools, e.g. UCSF and UCDavis, they discourage contacting the interviewer after the interview and before you have received the school's decision. Often, the interviewers know just as much as you do especially if they are not part of the admissions team and you will simply inconvenience your interviewer if they oblige to your sleuthing request. <-- semi-quoting the head of admissions