Inservice Ideas for the acute rehab hospital setting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kleighhoot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm on a 10 week rotation at an acute rehabilitation hospital and trying to brainstorm some ideas for my inservice in a few weeks. I will be presenting to PTs, PTAs, OTs, COTAs and SLPs as well as students of those disciplines. I have already witnessed a couple other students present their inservices on BWSTT protocols, an admission packet for new trach patients and on general post-op amputation guidelines, all of which seemed a little lack luster especially since some of the staff therapists were rolling their eyes and yawning the entire time (which I thought was incredibly rude).

Needless to say I want to present on a topic that is not only current and interesting but that will stimulate and cause an active discussion for all disciplines, not just PTs. Last summer I was at hospital and presented on the new Readmission policies in the hospital setting as well as the effect of Obamacare which went over very well and stimulated a lot of discussion. I'm trying to think of a topic that will stimulate just as much discussion in the acute rehab setting and struggling so any type of help will do.

And just in case anyone is wondering the population we see is typically geriatric with multiple comorbidities, typically of the cardiac and pulmonary nature. However we do see some younger patients and diagnoses such as transtibial and transfemoral amputations, strokes, TKR and THR, broken hips, other broken extremities requiring external fixators or ORIFs, general pain, etc.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm on a 10 week rotation at an acute rehabilitation hospital and trying to brainstorm some ideas for my inservice in a few weeks. I will be presenting to PTs, PTAs, OTs, COTAs and SLPs as well as students of those disciplines. I have already witnessed a couple other students present their inservices on BWSTT protocols, an admission packet for new trach patients and on general post-op amputation guidelines, all of which seemed a little lack luster especially since some of the staff therapists were rolling their eyes and yawning the entire time (which I thought was incredibly rude).

Needless to say I want to present on a topic that is not only current and interesting but that will stimulate and cause an active discussion for all disciplines, not just PTs. Last summer I was at hospital and presented on the new Readmission policies in the hospital setting as well as the effect of Obamacare which went over very well and stimulated a lot of discussion. I'm trying to think of a topic that will stimulate just as much discussion in the acute rehab setting and struggling so any type of help will do.

And just in case anyone is wondering the population we see is typically geriatric with multiple comorbidities, typically of the cardiac and pulmonary nature. However we do see some younger patients and diagnoses such as transtibial and transfemoral amputations, strokes, TKR and THR, broken hips, other broken extremities requiring external fixators or ORIFs, general pain, etc.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!

I did my acute care in-service topic on critical illness polyneuromyopathy and its implications for the acute care physical therapist. Epidemiology, recognizing it, S&S, different diagnostic criteria/tools, what you gonna do about it, etc.

A few ideas that come to mind:
- Overview of EKG's; big picture concepts of how to interpret them and red flags to look for
- Early mobility research (depending on how progressive your facility is)
- Possible quick and dirty outcome measures that could be used in acute care (especially since G codes are up and running this month...I know it's not for acute care now, but at my hospital we have several outpatient "observation" patients on our caseload)
- Tagging onto that, an inservice on Medicare G codes if your acute care hospital hasn't covered them yet
- An overview of any interesting diagnoses or unfamiliar procedures that you've encountered on your experience. I did one on spinal cord stimulators during my first acute affiliation after we had a random patient who had one implanted.