Insight Appreciated! Emory MPH vs. JHU MSPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inakaleidoscope

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am usually just a lurker on these boards for the past few months, but guys, I am in a pickle and thus I come to you experts. (I've bolded the important questions for the skimmers out there!)

I was completely enamored with my decision to attend Emory after months and months of going back and forth between a number of different schools, but now I have received a late-in-the-game acceptance to Johns Hopkins and I must make a major decision between Emory and JHU within the next week. (AKA: "AHHHH!")

So, I'm reaching out to all you lovely and brilliant individuals to get a little very last-last-minute advice or clarification on how I'm going to spend the next two years of my life and essentially $80,000 (because I know I sure cannot wait to be in debt all my life!, haha).

Basically, I am trying to decide between the MSPH program in the Population, Family, and Reproductive Health branch at Johns Hopkins vs. MPH in Global Epidemiology at Emory and was wondering if anyone had any helpful information or anecdotes about either program.

Emory:
I was just switched from the Global Health program to the Global Epidemiology program at Emory, and this also makes me nervous because what if I totally stink at Epidemiology forrealz?! Regardless, the skills I would learn in this program would be super advantageous, and I wouldn't be getting them at JHU unless I scheduled my electives just right. Does anyone know how many people got into the GLEPI program? The ADAP there doesn't ever seem to answer that question when responding to my emails.

Johns Hopkins:
I do like JHU as they have such interesting courses and I would be in such a small program (24 people max). The second year of the program is basically all internship and writing a thesis (other than taking two terms of electives in the last semester), so that would provide a lot of flexibility with where I could live and be interning [so that when reality truly sinks in that Baltimore isn't so quaint that I have a temporary escape plan. ;)] However, I feel like someone like myself might need the rigor of sitting in a classroom for the whole two years because otherwise my mind and tenacity tends to wander (I know this isn't exactly a desirable trait, but I'm just sayin', haha).

So, is anyone here going to do the MSPH program in PFRH at JHSPH or the MPH in Global Epidemiology at Emory or does know of anyone that is that I could contact? I'd be super appreciative (and will let you all come over and jump on my trampoline wherever I decide to go)! :)

Everyone I've met that is going to Emory just seems so amazing and open and awesome (insert here any other appreciative remark, so it's hard to want to look anywhere else, honestly. Half the experience of going to school is enjoying those who you learn beside every day.) Also, I really kind of want to live in the South awhile. And my interest is in refugee health and Atlanta's got a large refugee population. But JHU has a great program for humanitarian relief, too. BUT I must be realistic in choosing where to go to school based on what the end results would be...which just sound so distant to me that I have decided instead to sit here begging for your help. So...please...ideas...anybody? Haha.

Also, is anyone planning on applying for the Global Certificate for Humanitarian Emergencies at Emory? If I could only know that they would let me in in the end, I'd be there in an instant!

Anyhow, thanks guys for any insight you can provide!

Members don't see this ad.

What a difficult (and great) position to be in!
In regards to switching from GH to GLEPI-I think that is actually a great move. I'm at Emory now and I know a few people that switched from GH to GLEPI after the first semester because they were interested in building those skills.

Personally, after finishing up one year of classes I can't imagine going into just thesis writing and an internship. I really value my classes and enjoy them and I am looking forward to year 2. This isn't the right choice for everyone (as I'm sure someone from JH will point out). Some people really want to get out into working FT in PH and really like the layout of JH's program. It really is a personal decision on what you are looking for.

I don't have a hard number of how many people are in the GLEPI program but it's not a huge amount. That said, you will be in both GH and EPI classes which tend to have larger lectures and smaller break-out sections. I sent you a PM with further information regarding getting in contact with people. Good luck in your decision, though I feel you can't really go wrong!

Hey inakaleidoscope! Congratulations on both of your acceptances!! If you have been reading these boards then you know that I have a huge bias towards Emory so I won't harangue you with my Emory pitch :) If you were in the 11 month program at JHU (which you obviously aren't from your post) then I would highlight the length of the Emory program and the potential for work study and field experience. Since they both provide you the timing for it then I think it would be beneficial to look at the organizations you are likely to work with and whether those will open up doors to a place you want to work at in the future. At Emory you will obviously have opportunities with the CDC, Care, Carter Center, Refugee organizations (such as Fugees network that works with Masters International Students), etc. You said that your second year at JHU would be heavy into interning, and I'm sure you've looked into the options for organizations to work with, would they be places you would want to work at after you finish your degree? I feel like these are both amazing schools with great networks and to decide you really have to get into splitting hairs (i.e. you would be able to get a job at an organization based in Atlanta that works with Emory with a degree from JHU and vis versa, so it's not a deal breaker, but it would be easier to move into a position at one of those organizations if you were already in the area). There's not a huge difference in ranking, etc...so I really think it gets into tangential reasons (like wanting to live in the south, or the people you have met at each university). The JHU program sounds much more specific than GLEPI in a pre-determined way...as in, at Emory, with a GLEPI degree, you can take repro electives, but if you find that you would rather work in another aspect of PH/Epi then you could easily tailor your courses, especially with that second year of course work (your core PH courses take up a lot of the hours in your first year I've been told)...I don't know much about the JHU program so it may be more flexible than it sounds, and again, I don't think a degree from JHU is going to hold you back in any way, however, the course offerings at Emory are prolific and you wouldn't want for opportunities or courses focused on pop, fam, and repro health.

I feel like you and I might have a lot in common...I am GH and am considering the switch to GLEPI (after talking with faculty/staff it has been suggested to me a couple of times when they hear my interests/plans so I'm keeping an open mind and will most likely make a decision after first semester when I plan to take a cross-referenced GH/EPI course as my elective), I am planning to apply for the Global Complex Humanitarian Emergencies Certificate, being in a classroom helps to focus me, and I love trampolines. If you go to Emory then we could potentially be great friends...you know just another small incentive at Emory.

Would you mind if I PM'd you my email address so that we could chat some more about your switch from GH to GLEPI? That's a rhetorical question because I'm going to PM it to you as soon as I post this :). I also know a few contacts, including a person who switched from GH to GLEPI, but it sounds like JMM may have covered you on that front in his/her private message.

Good luck!!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am going to bump this thread instead of start a new one so please help if you can!

I have been accepted to both Emory (BSHE) and Hopkins (MSPH). I am weighing the pros and cons of both programs right now. Emory is a two year program with 200-400hr practicum while Hopkins is a one year program with a minimum of 6 months field placement. Do you see any pros and cons to either of these? I plan to go into health education and I do not intend to continue onto a PhD. Right now I am not as passionate about HIV/AIDS as I am about obesity and physical exercise.

I worry that Emory is heavily focused on HIV/AIDS and I cannot even find one person doing their research on obesity. On the other hand, I am not too excited to live in Baltimore! Also, I am from the west coast so I need the school names to be highly reputable in order to be competitive for jobs across the nation. Hopkins has a better reputation IMO but can someone tell me anything about Emory's (outside of the south, please)

Mainly, what are the pros and cons you see to both of the programs. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I was between these two schools as well.. However, I am deciding on Emory because I want to get a doctorate afterwards by which I will apply to JHU!

For me, if a masters degree was going to be my final degree, I would want to choose a school that had faculty, courses, and opportunities in my specialty area. A good name always helps too, but in your case both Emory and JHU have good reputations.

Sounds like your only negative for JHU is its location.. Does this weigh more than everything else?

I know in my case, finances were an issue and thus Emory seemed like a better deal. However, for me, Emory also has the specialty Im looking for..

My advice is to not only list your pros and cons but weight them to see which would ultimately be better for you. Several frivolous pros for one school may not weigh as much as one pro such as research in your field.

Good luck!

I was between these two schools as well.. However, I am deciding on Emory because I want to get a doctorate afterwards by which I will apply to JHU!

If you wanted a doctorate, is it not preferable to get your masters at the same institution (e.g. easier transfer credits, know more faculty)?

@Drivers: From first glance, it seems like JHU would be better as you spend less time in the classroom and more time in the field, which seems to be the direction you want to pursue based on your interest in health education. Also, my understanding is that field placements can also be paid, so you would essentially be recouping more of your tuition costs and fees with JHU which has a longer practicum.

If you wanted a doctorate, is it not preferable to get your masters at the same institution (e.g. easier transfer credits, know more faculty)?

@Drivers: From first glance, it seems like JHU would be better as you spend less time in the classroom and more time in the field, which seems to be the direction you want to pursue based on your interest in health education. Also, my understanding is that field placements can also be paid, so you would essentially be recouping more of your tuition costs and fees with JHU which has a longer practicum.

I am trying to learn more about Baltimore and am liking the city more and more. I didn't think about the fact that I do, ideally, want more field time. This is entirely true. The other pros with JHU is they tend to only have 20 admitted MSPH students in my program. This is opposed to Emory's 100 students for BSHE. I also like the duration of JHU's practicum and how you can do it wherever. You can literally leave Baltimore to do it for 6 months. That is really appealing to me! One thing I like about Emory is the vibe. This is sad, I know! Everyone seems so positive and upbeat. I worry that Hopkins students would always have their nose to the grindstone! HA!

I was worried only having one year of classroom time with JHU would be problematic but it is true that field time is really key in health education.

Hmm, it looks like I am leaning towards Baltimore.