insomia, or depression ?. is it normal to be this stressed out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentalgurl11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so here is my situation

it just feels like I have not slept or gotten any rest for the past 6 months... I really think its b/c of the stress from applyin for d-school..idk.. but i really hope you guys can help me out..

my story will b similar to lots of ppl here.. like many others, I applied for d-school last year to about 20 schools, i was rejected from all of them. and that really put me down emotionally. I guess is also from alot of pressure from family, i have a brother who graduated from pharm school at 24.. and also seeing most of my friends starting to have stable jobs or even starting a family. while myself is still struggling to even get into d-school at my age (26).

So since being rejected from all my schools in January, I began studying for the DAT everyday.. for about 4 months..i did nothing but study(it was really stressful b/c it was the 3rd n last time i could take it.. so i gave myself lots of pressure).. eventually, i did get a very good score (22/21) .. last year was (18/19)

So i'm applying again right now.. but even with a better DAT score / better application.. Even though I like my chances a lot more this year.. i still cant get it off my mind..I am up until like 3 or 4am every night.. even though i feel tired... i just cant fall asleep!! even when i'm not trying, "getting into d-school" is on my mind like 24/7..

so i guess my question is.. does anyone here have the similar feeling w/ me?..what can i do? is this just stress? or am i on some kind of depression?.. I dont feel like i'm on any "depression".. I dun have n.e crazy thoughts.but its hard not to feel down about yourself when you have a dream that was kinda broken. .. ya know?. I dont like to be relying on medications(to go to bed or anti depression drugs) like many others.. .. so what can i do?

I mean, i admitt I was very down when i was rejected from schools last year, but it made me worked harder .. i was sad about everything else but i never gave up.. I thought life will b all good once i get done with the DAT..but my mind can't stop worrying the "what if". i just really want to be able to just turn it off at night and get some rest..

hope you guys could give me some tips..:)

Members don't see this ad.

What time you waking up? Lots of people stay up till 3 or 4.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm confident you'll be fine.

These few things help me when I feel the things you are feeling:
1) I reassure myself that sometimes things are out of my hands. While we can try hard (like you did) to study for the DAT, there are other things (like applying) which oftentimes comes down to a bit of luck. Now that you've submitted, a lot is out of your hands until you get interviews, and worrying won't help your application, or help you.
2) I begin to think more and more about there being a reason for everything that happens. I'm barely religious, perhaps a bit spiritual though, but this is what I turn to - in a way, god's plan that is mysterious, sometimes unfortunate, but in the end equitable.
3) And the equitable bit means that we should be grateful for everything we have. Of course there are people who get into dental school at perhaps a younger age, or easier, but at the same time, there are a lot of people who don't have the priviliges of higher education, or even food in their stomach. A highschool teacher of mine used to ask my fellow private school classmates "How are you today?" he would listen to the student's answer, and then, if asked back how he was feeling, he would always say that he is doing fantastic because he has food in his stomach, and roof over his head everynight. It was moving stuff, and put a lot of things into perspective.

So sometimes, you just have to think about the bigger picture, and focus on enjoying the journey.

I think that you just have to relaxed. I would not let others around you get to you because there are a decent amount of dental students who start d-school when there 26. Also, I think Contach is right about the application process...I was really lucky to be selected for an interview and admission, while some people I know had similar stats and still didn't get in. However, some of my classmates had to apply several times before they got accepted, so I'm sure if you keep your head up, relax, and have faith in yourself, you will feel better about yourself, become well rested, and possibly get into your dental school of choice.

Yes, it is quite normal to become anxious and lose sleep when you want something so badly! There is hope! I would suggest adding some rigorous exercise to your daily routine. Your body releases natural endorphins that will help you relax. If you try this for a couple of weeks and it doesn't help you relax, you may want to talk to a counselor or see a physician.

You have done everything that you can. Try to stay busy- exercise, volunteer, etc. Good luck to you!

Last edited:
Honestly, some hot n nasty, vigorous S_X did the trick for me!
As an alternative, perhaps some yoga?

Come down from the high RPM mindset, and relax- your DAT looks great for some interviews.

Last edited:
Being slightly stressed is a good thing- it gives you more awareness to deal with your problems
being stressed to the point you can not enjoy your life anymore is not so good, as you body can't live with high stress for long time and eventually- just imagine horrors of it- you accepted to DS and then flip out because your brain could not take it anymore.... BTW there are plenty of those cases seen when first year med or dental student ends up in nice psych counseling....
Stress is not something that sits under the table and bites your ankles... you are in charge...

some of the best relaxation technique are yoga deep breathing exercise

so here is my situation

it just feels like I have not slept or gotten any rest for the past 6 months... I really think its b/c of the stress from applyin for d-school..idk.. but i really hope you guys can help me out..

my story will b similar to lots of ppl here.. like many others, I applied for d-school last year to about 20 schools, i was rejected from all of them. and that really put me down emotionally. I guess is also from alot of pressure from family, i have a brother who graduated from pharm school at 24.. and also seeing most of my friends starting to have stable jobs or even starting a family. while myself is still struggling to even get into d-school at my age (26).

So since being rejected from all my schools in January, I began studying for the DAT everyday.. for about 4 months..i did nothing but study(it was really stressful b/c it was the 3rd n last time i could take it.. so i gave myself lots of pressure).. eventually, i did get a very good score (22/21) .. last year was (18/19)

So i'm applying again right now.. but even with a better DAT score / better application.. Even though I like my chances a lot more this year.. i still cant get it off my mind..I am up until like 3 or 4am every night.. even though i feel tired... i just cant fall asleep!! even when i'm not trying, "getting into d-school" is on my mind like 24/7..

so i guess my question is.. does anyone here have the similar feeling w/ me?..what can i do? is this just stress? or am i on some kind of depression?.. I dont feel like i'm on any "depression".. I dun have n.e crazy thoughts.but its hard not to feel down about yourself when you have a dream that was kinda broken. .. ya know?. I dont like to be relying on medications(to go to bed or anti depression drugs) like many others.. .. so what can i do?

I mean, i admitt I was very down when i was rejected from schools last year, but it made me worked harder .. i was sad about everything else but i never gave up.. I thought life will b all good once i get done with the DAT..but my mind can't stop worrying the "what if". i just really want to be able to just turn it off at night and get some rest..

Wow I thought I was the only one going through this!!! Everyone has given you great advice so far :thumbup:. You seem very passionate about dentistry because if you didn't care you would have given up already. I think you have a good chance of getting in this year.

Good Luck!!

I would recommend taking Valerian root supplements, they have them at CVS and it's been used for thousands of years to cure insomnia. Do some research about this on line and see if it's good for you. It works perfect for me when I'm really stresst out and just need to knock myself off once in a while. And it's not addictive or anything, or you can also try drinking chamomile tea before you go to bad, or the combination of two.
Good luck, take it easy, and soon you will find that everything is the way you want it to be!!!

EXERCISE (at least four hrs before bedtime)

9 to 10am.. is like i get 4 , 5 hrs sleep everyday.. n i cant fall asleep when i know i'm tired

As someone said: Start working out (do quite a bit of cardio). Also eat a healthy diet and don' drink any coffee. Stick to green tea if anything. Play games online that take brain cells (like maybe some online poker [facebook]) or even try cooking during the day (turn on the TV and make a creative dish or something). All these things take quite a bit of energy. I would be surprised if you could even get through 1/2 of these in 1 day and not be passing out by 9pm or 10pm. Let me know what you think...hope this helps. :)

Oh yeah! One more thing. Just remember that what's done IS done. Nothing can be fixed/changed at this point and you shouldnt be too worried. They will see your dedication, your improved score, and your (more than probable) moving essay. Good luck!

"Dont trip, Chocolate chip" :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm confident you'll be fine.

These few things help me when I feel the things you are feeling:
1) I reassure myself that sometimes things are out of my hands. While we can try hard (like you did) to study for the DAT, there are other things (like applying) which oftentimes comes down to a bit of luck. Now that you've submitted, a lot is out of your hands until you get interviews, and worrying won't help your application, or help you.
2) I begin to think more and more about there being a reason for everything that happens. I'm barely religious, perhaps a bit spiritual though, but this is what I turn to - in a way, god's plan that is mysterious, sometimes unfortunate, but in the end equitable.
3) And the equitable bit means that we should be grateful for everything we have. Of course there are people who get into dental school at perhaps a younger age, or easier, but at the same time, there are a lot of people who don't have the priviliges of higher education, or even food in their stomach. A highschool teacher of mine used to ask my fellow private school classmates "How are you today?" he would listen to the student's answer, and then, if asked back how he was feeling, he would always say that he is doing fantastic because he has food in his stomach, and roof over his head everynight. It was moving stuff, and put a lot of things into perspective.

So sometimes, you just have to think about the bigger picture, and focus on enjoying the journey.

that was Great advice man!..

i guess i am going through the same thing.. having been rejected and having to reapply do sucks.. and everything that she has listed (family/friends) do add to the sadness.. but.. i'm sure everything will b okay in the long run.

In the mean time .. just try to relax and enjoy this time off!!! you will have more stress in d-school and then on out.. you'll b working for the rest of your life!.. so just slack and relax now!.. thats a lot of ppl's dream to be able to do that ..

OP, with those DAT scores Id be sleeping like a baby every night

Relax :)

so here is my situation

I am in the same boat as you so don't worry. I feel like this cycle I am much more patient and prepared for rejections. It felt horrible to get rejected, but that's what makes us stronger. ANd in your case, you raised your DAT score by a lot! So, you've done all the hard work, applied to all your schools, and hope for a second shot! In the end, allt he work you did will pay off in the end. I have high hopes for the both of us :)

For your sleep situation, maybe you should try getting another bed? It could be that you are not comfortable sleeping. You might think about an upgrade :)

Last years cycle, I was working for an orthodontist along with applying to schools. I had troubles worrying about getting into d-school and trying to work as efficiently as possible. I got rejected to d-school one by one and I couldn't sleep because of it. I had anxiety attacks and basically felt like I was a failure. I decided to cheer myself up so I went to get my hair done, got a full body massage, went to yoga, and got a brand new bed :) Basically treated myself until I felt happy again :)

It's not the end of the world if we didn't get in last year. As far as I can tell, the world is still spinning! =P So don't stress, just be happy with what you've accomplished, and you'll get to your goal!

I always tell myself that there's always a happy ending :)

Still searching said:
Fear of Rejection

Most of my stress comes from a similar quandary: I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo EXHAUSTED.

In 2006, I spent all summer reading for the MCAT (Scoring 90th Percentile August 19th, I still remember that date), taking Orgo, Physics, AND BIO classes; more importantly, I met a girl . . .

In 2008 I was early accepted to medical school, went for a year, then decided that life in the hospital wasn't for me. That girl lasted until recently - life was fun: she definitely helped me realize how to HAVE FUN.

So today, I sat for the DAT - I told myself I was going to study less than fifty hours, kept to my guidelines, and strolled through a well-written (albeit random) test. Kept the stress low, started dated another person, moved in with some friends, and *voila* I get much better sleep, wake better, and occasionally sleep til noon : )

Back when I took the MCAT, it was on paper - :leaf:

You need to take it easy and just relax. Your application is in and your DAT is done (with good scores too). You've done all you could to this point and the rest is up to the adcoms. This feeling you have now is similar to post-graduation depression. Now that you're done with everything you have nothing else to do, and with all this free time you can't help but worry. During your rigorous months of studying for the DAT's it wasn't that bad because you were fighting for a goal, you had some control over the process. But now you feel anxious because it's not up to your actions anymore to get an interview, things are out of your control. But don't worry, you will get an interview and you just need to remain confident and prepared when the day comes.

Things will turn out ok as long as you are persistent and apply yourself to your goals. You have shown all that and let us hope dental schools see all the efforts you have made. So just relax and I'm sure when you get your interview letter sometime in Sept. you will feel much more relieved with a huge burden off your chest.

hey dont worry about it!! im super stressed out too this app cycle. i am a reapplicant too and im bummed out to see all my friends leaving for d-school and im sitting here reapplying again! but you know what....you're exactly where you're supposed to be...and its just a matter of time that's all....i know youll do it!

YES IT IS NORMAL TO BE THAT STRESSED OUT.

applying to dschool/interviews/waiting was probably one of the MOST stressful things about college. getting through sciences classes was nothing compared to the agony of waiting, waiting, waiting. and all that money? some people in my family treated me like i was insane.

i ended up getting into 4 dental schools (interviewed at 5, then turned down one more interview after i already got in) but the whole time during the admissions process, i had an aunt who would tell everyone that i was a horrible person because i "hadn't worked in the past four years." yeah, like the reason i got into 4 dental schools was because i hadn't worked in the past four years.

SCREW WHAT EVERYONE ELSE THINKS. just think YOU are the one who has the COURAGE to apply to dental school. after you get in, you can totally shut out the people who were negative towards you. getting married takes no courage. marriage, often times, is the easy way out. anyone could get married. everyone ends up getting married.

i know just what you're going through..just hang in there and never give up. the last year has been rough for me b/c a lot of times i just sit and think how i'm not married and have no boyfriend. then a girl i know got married like last week, so that was like one of the last torturous things i got to see before going to dental school.

but...just think. after you get into dental school, you can marry a dentist. have two dentist incomes. invest your money and become a millionaire. buy whatever house and cars you want. retire early.

its just the whole reason getting into dschool is so painful is because it takes SOOOO long to see the fruits of your labor. but in due time, we will reap, if we faint not! :)

in about 10 years, the tables will turn and all those people who look down on you for not being married/whatever will want your life.

im not sure if this has been mentioned....have sex or masturbate. im not even joking. it'll release a lot of tension and its a lot of fun.

im not sure if this has been mentioned....have sex or masturbate. im not even joking. it'll release a lot of tension and its a lot of fun.
as your screen name suggested

Honestly, some hot n nasty, vigorous S_X did the trick for me!
As an alternative, perhaps some yoga?

Come down from the high RPM mindset, and relax- your DAT looks great for some interviews.

Seems to do the trick everytime!

i just want to take the time to thank everyone for giving me advice.. you guys have been great.. and it really does feel great to meet/ know that there are ppl out there who are kinda on the same boat w/ me.. I hope that all of us will have our dream come true one day.. good luck everyone!