1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Insomnia.........

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by mitawa, Mar 13, 2007.

1. mitawa

mitawa Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I never had this problem before, but now its becoming a pain in the neck. Anyone else? At least I get a couple of extra hours of material review in the wee hours of the morning... or I am on SDN.:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. VALSALVA

VALSALVA sh*t or get off the pot
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hi there,

I too struggled with insomnia during my first and second years (mostly first). It was difficult and frustrating. I tried all sorts of things - most didn't help. Funny thing is...I'm not a big worrier and I handle stress well. It was just one of those crazy things. Just know that your sleeping patterns will regulate in time. It's only temporal!

p.s. I felt like popping 2 or 3 benadryl before bed helped me most. I realize that medicines can have unique effects on everyone, but that happened to work for me.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Kuba

Physician 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Attending Physician
    I've struggled with insomnia throughout my life. What works for me is waking up relatively early and exercising in the first 2/3rd of the day.

4. bigdreamer#1

bigdreamer#1 I'm ok, your ok!!!
    10+ Year Member

ditto on that exercise idea....

I think first you need to recognize possible behaviors that may be contributing to not being able to sleep. Like don't consume caffeine even within 5 hours of going to sleep. Also, you need to be consistent in your bed time routine (same time all the time for sleep wake cycle) and even keep the same rituals (hygeine) routine before bed, and consider making your sleeping room for only sleep and sex, as opposed to studying in bed or doing hard core learning reading or watching TV/ Movies there to much, etc.. that all sets your body and psychology up for active stimulations and thought that keep you awake.

Next, make sure to get a good balanced diet during the day and incorporate some vigorous excercise daily....this alone can dramatically help your sleep cycle.

My sleep problems used to be that I would study so much before bed that I'd still be compulsively locked into focused thoughts about the material I just reviewed and then I couldn't sleep becuase my mind was still actively busy. I figured out how to blank out my mind by meditation style awareness of breathing...that usually does the trick and before long my mind drifts off into non-focused nonsense and I fall asleep.

Good luck.

5. OP
    OP
    mitawa

mitawa Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Maybe I might need to stop studing in my room. I've always been a night owl as well, but I could at least get to sleep when I wanted to. I don't think it helps matters that I've started drinking coffee about an 1 hour into my morning lectures to stay alert. It's become a vicious cycle.

6. subtle1epiphany

subtle1epiphany Junior Faculty
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    While striving to make adjustments and lifestyle changes should always be considered and attempted first, if your difficulties continue, you really should see a physician. There are many very effective and safe treatments available for insomnia, especially in the short term.

7. bigdreamer#1

bigdreamer#1 I'm ok, your ok!!!
    10+ Year Member

I concur!

8. BMW19

BMW19 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    DO AWAY with the coffee except for one cup in the A.M. with breakfast!! I swear this is what caused my insomnia. I would have that 3:00 cup of coffee at school to get you thru the rest of the day. But for some people it really does stay in your system. Don't study on your bed!!

Disclaimer!!!
    I am only second year so I am NOT GIVING PRESCRIPTION ADVICE. But half an Ambien works like a charm!!!;) You MUST see a physician to get this medication.

BMW-

9. Jamers

Jamers Sexy Man
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I enjoy mine, I just wish I spent the extra time actually doing work and on the computer or watching TV.

10. SleepPsych72

SleepPsych72 Member
    7+ Year Member

Yea I find that half a lunesta works even better than ambien in some cases. But I think that med school will be inherently stressful. You just have to adjust to the radical change as quickly as possible. Sleep is very important toward memory and homeostasis so get as much as you can. I will skip a meal if I can get an hour nap or so.
    This will be my first year of med school and I plan on doing much sleep research during elective time.

11. JustPlainBill

JustPlainBill Attending
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Edited your post to keep the size down.....

We have a 'stairwell cafeteria' that serves greasy spoon and/or hotdogs so
    nutrition is right out the window.

Since we go longer than most other schools - 1st year ends the last day of June and 2nd year cranks up last week of July - you can guess how
    much 'time' we have to exercise/etc. Far be it from me to say that a lot
    is being jammed into the schedule.

So I'm trying to find an IV drip for caffeine.

12. MJB

MJB Senior Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think I've got Sleep Apnea pretty bad...

So, I'm going with exercise asap to see if I can fix the problem before school starts...

13. Quakkilla

Quakkilla Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If you think you have sleep apnea you need a sleep study! See your doc.

To the rest, everyone struggles with the stress and some type of sleep problem related to it. I suffered insomnia my first year and my second year I can't seem to wake up for anything. The second year is probably the lack of all motivation:D

14. Inquiringmind24

Inquiringmind24 "The fact man"
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It's happened to me a few times this year, but only before big exams. I find that reading a novel before bed helps get my mind off the material and I tend to get sleepy. Now the night before Step 1 I have no idea what I'm gonna do. Mabye I'll get a friend to give me some ambien or something... :D

15. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    There is only one cure for insomnia

12oz of Baileys Irish Cream with 3 ice cubes

Take 1 hour before bed

16. OP
    OP
    mitawa

mitawa Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks for the advice its gotten somewhat better within this past week (I've been asleep by 1am), save for the night before the cardio exam.

17. Jack Daniel

Jack Daniel In Memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Great suggestions. My problem, too, was that I'd keep rehasing what I was studying long after I "went to bed" and wouldn't fall asleep. I started knocking off about 45 minutes or so before I wanted to go to bed and just unwind with music or email--anything to "re-set" my brain.