Insomnia.........

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mitawa

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I never had this problem before, but now its becoming a pain in the neck. Anyone else? At least I get a couple of extra hours of material review in the wee hours of the morning... or I am on SDN.:D

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,

I too struggled with insomnia during my first and second years (mostly first). It was difficult and frustrating. I tried all sorts of things - most didn't help. Funny thing is...I'm not a big worrier and I handle stress well. It was just one of those crazy things. Just know that your sleeping patterns will regulate in time. It's only temporal!

p.s. I felt like popping 2 or 3 benadryl before bed helped me most. I realize that medicines can have unique effects on everyone, but that happened to work for me.

I've struggled with insomnia throughout my life. What works for me is waking up relatively early and exercising in the first 2/3rd of the day.

Members don't see this ad :)
ditto on that exercise idea....

I think first you need to recognize possible behaviors that may be contributing to not being able to sleep. Like don't consume caffeine even within 5 hours of going to sleep. Also, you need to be consistent in your bed time routine (same time all the time for sleep wake cycle) and even keep the same rituals (hygeine) routine before bed, and consider making your sleeping room for only sleep and sex, as opposed to studying in bed or doing hard core learning reading or watching TV/ Movies there to much, etc.. that all sets your body and psychology up for active stimulations and thought that keep you awake.

Next, make sure to get a good balanced diet during the day and incorporate some vigorous excercise daily....this alone can dramatically help your sleep cycle.

My sleep problems used to be that I would study so much before bed that I'd still be compulsively locked into focused thoughts about the material I just reviewed and then I couldn't sleep becuase my mind was still actively busy. I figured out how to blank out my mind by meditation style awareness of breathing...that usually does the trick and before long my mind drifts off into non-focused nonsense and I fall asleep.

Good luck.

Maybe I might need to stop studing in my room. I've always been a night owl as well, but I could at least get to sleep when I wanted to. I don't think it helps matters that I've started drinking coffee about an 1 hour into my morning lectures to stay alert. It's become a vicious cycle.

While striving to make adjustments and lifestyle changes should always be considered and attempted first, if your difficulties continue, you really should see a physician. There are many very effective and safe treatments available for insomnia, especially in the short term.

While striving to make adjustments and lifestyle changes should always be considered and attempted first, if your difficulties continue, you really should see a physician. There are many very effective and safe treatments available for insomnia, especially in the short term.

I concur!

DO AWAY with the coffee except for one cup in the A.M. with breakfast!! I swear this is what caused my insomnia. I would have that 3:00 cup of coffee at school to get you thru the rest of the day. But for some people it really does stay in your system. Don't study on your bed!!

Disclaimer!!!
I am only second year so I am NOT GIVING PRESCRIPTION ADVICE. But half an Ambien works like a charm!!!;) You MUST see a physician to get this medication.

BMW-

I never had this problem before, but now its becoming a pain in the neck. Anyone else? At least I get a couple of extra hours of material review in the wee hours of the morning... or I am on SDN.:D

I enjoy mine, I just wish I spent the extra time actually doing work and on the computer or watching TV.

Yea I find that half a lunesta works even better than ambien in some cases. But I think that med school will be inherently stressful. You just have to adjust to the radical change as quickly as possible. Sleep is very important toward memory and homeostasis so get as much as you can. I will skip a meal if I can get an hour nap or so.
This will be my first year of med school and I plan on doing much sleep research during elective time.

I think first you need to recognize possible behaviors that may be contributing to not being able to sleep. Like don't consume caffeine even within 5 hours of going to sleep.

Next, make sure to get a good balanced diet during the day and incorporate some vigorous excercise daily....this alone can dramatically help your sleep cycle.

Good luck.

Edited your post to keep the size down.....

We have a 'stairwell cafeteria' that serves greasy spoon and/or hotdogs so
nutrition is right out the window.

Since we go longer than most other schools - 1st year ends the last day of June and 2nd year cranks up last week of July - you can guess how
much 'time' we have to exercise/etc. Far be it from me to say that a lot
is being jammed into the schedule.

So I'm trying to find an IV drip for caffeine.

I think I've got Sleep Apnea pretty bad...

So, I'm going with exercise asap to see if I can fix the problem before school starts...

If you think you have sleep apnea you need a sleep study! See your doc.

To the rest, everyone struggles with the stress and some type of sleep problem related to it. I suffered insomnia my first year and my second year I can't seem to wake up for anything. The second year is probably the lack of all motivation:D

It's happened to me a few times this year, but only before big exams. I find that reading a novel before bed helps get my mind off the material and I tend to get sleepy. Now the night before Step 1 I have no idea what I'm gonna do. Mabye I'll get a friend to give me some ambien or something... :D

There is only one cure for insomnia

12oz of Baileys Irish Cream with 3 ice cubes

Take 1 hour before bed

Thanks for the advice its gotten somewhat better within this past week (I've been asleep by 1am), save for the night before the cardio exam.

I think first you need to recognize possible behaviors that may be contributing to not being able to sleep. Like don't consume caffeine even within 5 hours of going to sleep. Also, you need to be consistent in your bed time routine (same time all the time for sleep wake cycle) and even keep the same rituals (hygeine) routine before bed, and consider making your sleeping room for only sleep and sex, as opposed to studying in bed or doing hard core learning reading or watching TV/ Movies there to much, etc.. that all sets your body and psychology up for active stimulations and thought that keep you awake.

My sleep problems used to be that I would study so much before bed that I'd still be compulsively locked into focused thoughts about the material I just reviewed and then I couldn't sleep becuase my mind was still actively busy. I figured out how to blank out my mind by meditation style awareness of breathing...that usually does the trick and before long my mind drifts off into non-focused nonsense and I fall asleep.

Good luck.

Great suggestions. My problem, too, was that I'd keep rehasing what I was studying long after I "went to bed" and wouldn't fall asleep. I started knocking off about 45 minutes or so before I wanted to go to bed and just unwind with music or email--anything to "re-set" my brain.