Homer Doughnuts

Homer Doughnuts
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2004
The Lou
Status
What is the insomniacs place in medicine? I can never sleep, and all late night TV has done is convince me that I need medical attention. But I embrace my insomnia and since I can’t sleep more than 3 hours a night, I figure I might as well be a surgeon. Seriously though this sucks, insomnia is no fun. :(

virilep

What can Brown do for u?
15+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2004
Visit site
Status
Homer Doughnuts said:
What is the insomniacs place in medicine? I can never sleep, and all late night TV has done is convince me that I need medical attention. But I embrace my insomnia and since I can’t sleep more than 3 hours a night, I figure I might as well be a surgeon. Seriously though this sucks, insomnia is no fun. :(
i'd say peds or ob/gyn. :)

banana k

registered user of WHAT?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2004
Australia
Status
resesarch. data sets are addictive, man. and there's ALWAYS ways to make progress in the middle of the night whereas if you're in practice you can't exactly call up your patients and be like, i have a minute and i've been pondering a solution at three in the morning...

OP
Homer Doughnuts

Homer Doughnuts

Homer Doughnuts
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2004
The Lou
Status
banana k said:
resesarch. data sets are addictive, man. and there's ALWAYS ways to make progress in the middle of the night whereas if you're in practice you can't exactly call up your patients and be like, i have a minute and i've been pondering a solution at three in the morning...

Yeah, i guess messing up numbers isn't as bad as messing up people. Unless the numbers you mess up end up messing up more people. :laugh:

LSUwannabe

Just vomicked...
10+ Year Member
May 8, 2004
NOLA
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
Homer Doughnuts said:
How about EM? Work seven 24 hr shifts/month...$250k/yr, 24 days/mo off and no call?

Or you could go into rads and take some of the business contracted out to banana k's land. :D

You're in a good city for insomnia...and I'll be joining you there in a month.

OP
Homer Doughnuts

Homer Doughnuts

Homer Doughnuts
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2004
The Lou
Status
LSUwannabe said:
How about EM? Work seven 24 hr shifts/month...$250k/yr, 24 days/mo off and no call?

Or you could go into rads and take some of business contracted out to banana k's land. :D

You're in a good city for insomnia...and I'll be joining you there in a month.

EM is great, especially in New Orleans. I work with NOHD and have seen some crazy **** in this town, especially at Charity.

FloridaMadame

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2005
Status
Homer Doughnuts said:
I'm thinking Emergency. My friend is working 4 shifts a week and loving her life during the day :)

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2002
CA
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I second Ob/Gyn. If a baby's coming, it's coming. ;)

Long Dong

My middle name is Duc.
10+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2004
The Best Coast
Status
Attending Physician
I used to have insomia too until I started reading medical text books those suckas put me to sleep right away.

raekelly

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2004
Status
Maybe psychiatry. If you make yourself available after hours, you'll be working a lot. Surgery is pretty much a given.

Have you tried biofeedback for insomia? Neurologists and neuropsychologists often do this type of work. I have heard good things about this tx for insomia.

Skeptrix

should be studying ..
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2003
Honolulu, Hawaii
www.
Status
Pre-Medical
go for Radiology .. no time for :sleep:

Blue Scrub

The Gift & The Curse
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
Yeah i'd say either EM or Rads....I volunteered in the Rad dept. for a little while, and heard that some would always be up lookin at x-rays in the middle of the night

freaker

10+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2004
Status
Have you tried using melatonin for sleepless nights? Just curious.

OP
Homer Doughnuts

Homer Doughnuts

Homer Doughnuts
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2004
The Lou
Status
Blue Scrub said:
Yeah i'd say either EM or Rads....I volunteered in the Rad dept. for a little while, and heard that some would always be up lookin at x-rays in the middle of the night

Hey what do you (or anyone else) know about interventional radiology. It seems like an interesting field to go into, especially with all the outsourcing of Image reading going on these days. I was wondering what these cats do, and what their residency is like.

OP
Homer Doughnuts

Homer Doughnuts

Homer Doughnuts
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2004
The Lou
Status
freaker said:
Have you tried using melatonin for sleepless nights? Just curious.

UNISOM gets my vote, 50mg of benadryl. That **** will knock u out !! :thumbup:

Blue Scrub

The Gift & The Curse
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
Homer Doughnuts said:
Hey what do you (or anyone else) know about interventional radiology. It seems like an interesting field to go into, especially with all the outsourcing of Image reading going on these days. I was wondering what these cats do, and what their residency is like.
I dont know...but that sux for radiologists working in the US

aw buddy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'd say OB/GYN. Most ER docs have limits on how much they can work (the one I shadow only does ~35 hours in the ER a week), but an OB/GYN's work never seems to be done.

fun8stuff

*hiding from patients*
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2003
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Blue Scrub said:
I dont know...but that sux for radiologists working in the US
i too avg between 4-5 hours of sleep... the thing with is me, is that i don't think i want to sleep. if i had medicine... i wouldn't take it. weird, eh? i probably need counseling.