Inspirational quotes for non-religious pre-meds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

celticmists18

california dreaming
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
NOTE: if this thread is to be moved I respectfully requested that the thread pertaining to inspirational biblical quotes also be moved as both run in the same vein of thought.

my personal favorite:

"To laugh often and much;
To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children;
To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends;
To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others;
To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden path or a redeemed social condition;
To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.
This is to have suceeded."

Members don't see this ad.

I'll throw some metal up in here:

"Make me feel serenity when all is revealed
So easy to look back in life and question
But i must seek to find the strength
to push forward"
~Killswitch Engage (from Temple From the Within )

"Your world is coming apart
Remain steadfast

Perseverance
Against all opposition
Crushing all limitations
Pure strength through solitude
Discipline and determination"
~Hatebreed (from Perserverance )

"It's a long road and it's mental endurance stress test
Sometimes you fight and you win, sometimes you fight and
You lose
It's the fighter in you
Not to lose

So keep you head high

Cause they will always kick you when you're down

You have to trust in yourself
You must believe in yourself
You have to follow your heart
You overcome, improve, endure"
~Machine Head (from Kick You When You're Down )

Do or do not. There is no try.

~Yoda

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by finnpipette
Do or do not. There is no try.

~Yoda

That is the simplest, most meaningful, and most valuable quote I've heard in a long time.

Whether you think you can, or you can't...you're right.

Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal (praphrased i think.. Henry Ford)

Originally posted by celticmists18
NOTE: if this thread is to be moved I respectfully requested that the thread pertaining to inspirational biblical quotes also be moved as both run in the same vein of thought.

my personal favorite:

"To laugh often and much;
To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children;
To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends;
To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others;
To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden path or a redeemed social condition;
To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.
This is to have suceeded."

That's a family favorite - my Dad has it in a framed poster in his dinning room.

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees & the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors & aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery & broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

~ Max Ehrmann

" Before success comes in any man's life he is sure to meet with much temporary defeat and, perhaps, some failures. When defeat overtakes a man, the easiest and most logical thing to do is to quit. That is exactly what the majority of men do."
Napoleon

" Don't give up what you want most, for what you want at the moment."

" If you're waiting for someone to believe in you, you'll be waiting forever. You must believe in yourself."

" Keep on going, and the chances are you will stumble on something, perhaps when you are least expecting it. I have never heard of anyone stumbling on something sitting down."
Charles F. Kettering

thanks, this thread was needed.

"Be glad of life because it gives you a chance to work and to play and to look up at the stars." --Henry Van **** (see profile) :)

CCW

:( "If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style."
:( "None of us is as stupid as all of us"
:( "You can do anything you wet your mind to when you have vision, determination, and an endless supply of expendable labor."
:( "the journey of a thousnad miles sometimes ends very, very badly."
:( "Dreams are like rainbows. Only idiots chace them."
:( "Some people dream of success, while other people live to crush those dreams."
:( "Not everyone gets to be an astronaut when they grow up."
:( "Power corrups. Absolute power corupts absolutely But it rocks absolutely, too."
:( "A company that will go to the ends of the earth for its people will find it can hire them for about 10% of the cost of americans."
:( "It's a short trip from riding the waves of change to being torn apart by the jaws of defeat."

http://www.despair.com

demotivators_1786_1359653

This application process is more fun than shooting monkeys in a barrel... :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
My dad always used to tell me this when I was a kid:

Keep your Jackson Pollocks in your knickers and your hands out of your jam roll.

Hope that Helps

P 'Kurrently Kaylied' ShankOut

App process = Bear
Me = Trout

demotivators_1786_7440911

Yep, self explanatory for this process...

demotivators_1786_0

Astronaut = Physician

demotivators_1786_7719045

Just a few depresssing images...

Attachments

• demotivation.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 298
Originally posted by hillofbeans
Desiderata

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees & the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors & aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery & broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

~ Max Ehrmann

this is a really beautiful quote. thanks for sharing.

Originally posted by MDTom
App process = Bear
Me = Trout
I posted this to another thread but...
App process = Penguin on the right
Me = Penguin on the left
Typical_day.gif
"Some people dream of success, while other people live to crush those dreams."

The Astronaut pic took me a bit.. but then... it was mean, and cruel, and funny all at the same time... I didn't know if I should laugh or cry.

0028629302.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg
mmmmm.... What's the point?
Anybody else see the irony in a self-esteem book for "idiots"?:confused:

Originally posted by Mr. Rosewater
this is a really beautiful quote. thanks for sharing.

Glad you liked it. I love it--and I hate poetry! I think it is well suited for us pre-meds.

Desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise & haste, & remember what peace there may be in silence. ... Speak your truth quietly & clearly; and listen to others, even the dull & ignorant; they too have their story.

... If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater & lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.

Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time...

~ Max Ehrmann

http://hobbes.ncsa.uiuc.edu/desiderata.html

must keep thread alive!

"It is nice to have a end to journey towards, but it is the journey that matters in the end."

"Live each day as if it were your last, because some day you will be right."

"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

"To be yourself in a world that in constantly trying to make you someone else is the greatest accomplishment."

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

"Our background and our circumstance may influence who we are, but we are responsible for who we become."

"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side."

Finnpipette: I love that yoda quote!

?Don't dream your life, live your dreams?

?Hopes are but the dreams of those who are awake.
You are never given a dream
without also being given
the power to make it true.?

"Inside of a ring or out, ain't nothing wrong with going down. It's staying down that's wrong." (Muhammad Ali)

"It is never to late to be what you might have been." (George Eliot)

"All mankind is divided into three classes: those that are immovable, those that are movable, and those that move." (Benjamin Franklin)

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination are omnipotent." (Calvin Coolidge)

"You miss 100% of the shots you never take." (Wayne Gretzky)

When angry, count to ten. When very angry, a hundred.

~Thomas Jefferson

When angry, count to ten. When very angry, swear.

~Mark Twain

The little penguin video is one of the funniest things I've seen in a while. Great thread btw. :) See profile for addition to quotes.

yeah, so I'm bored at work. here are some more good quotes.

"In 3 words I can sum up everything I've learned about life-it goes on" (Robert Frost)

"To achieve the impossible, one must think the absurd; to look where everyone else has looked, but see what no one else has seen."

"Courage is not the absense of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear." (Ambrose Redmoon)

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." (Eleanor Roosevelt)

"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land amoung the stars." (Les Brown)

"I took the road less traveled by, and that made all the difference." (Frost)

"The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet.?
-James Oppenheim

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
-Mark Twain

"Never let the odds keep you from pursuing what you know in your heart you were meant to do.?
-Satchel Paige

I almost forgot my two favorites:

"The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well." joe ancis

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." Anais Nin

I personaly like the one in my sig... Too bad I don't live by it! :eek:

A good one -- "An illness is like a journey into a far country; it sifts all one's experience and removes it to a point so remote that it appears like a vision."

Funny as hell -- "I was told at an early age that if you fall down and start to bleed, you should look at the wound and say, 'What the hell.' The other day I saw a little girl fall and I told her, 'So what if you're bleeding. Just say, 'What the hell.''" - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"If you start to think about your physical or moral condition, you usually find that you are sick." - Goethe

"Those who think they have not time for bodily exercise will sooner or later have to find time for illness." - Edward Stanley

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to get caught up.

"Why should i remember anything if i can just look it up?" - Albert Einstein

"I never did a day's work in my life, it was all fun." - Thomas Edison

"Efficiency is intelligent laziness."

"Each success only buys an admission ticket to a more difficult problem." - Kissinger

"Slackers aren't stupid, they are just too lazy to do anything about their situation."

"I slack, therefore, I am... doing nothing" - Dave White

"It is time to break through the barriers that have held you back and held you down for such a long time It is time to reach out and indelibly etch your place in history" lost the author

"Of all those words of tongue or pen, the saddest are those... it might have been." John Greenleaf Whitter

"Courage is the discovery that you may not win and trying when you know you can fail." seems to apply to the admissions process.

to all the gunners: "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle." Plato

"You were born with wings. WHy prefer to crawl through life?" Rumi

and a final one, so you don't stay so uptight: "A person has two legs and one sense of humour, and if you're faced with the choice, it's better to lose a leg." Charles Linden.

"Watch out for #1 without Stepping into #2"-Rodney Dangerfield in "Back to School"

"Two roads Diverged in a wood and I--I took the one less travelled by. And this has made all the difference" Robert Frost "The road not taken"

'Don't spit to the sky you might get wet" My father

"You are the richest person in the world because you have time. Spend it wisely because once its gone, you can't get it back" My father

"What is the worse they can say? No. But if you don't ask you will never know" Me

"Man who eat re-fried bean go to bathroom for many moons" Confuscious

"Putting the lid down on a toilet bowl full of unflushed crap will only make the **** stink more in time." -- My Dad

I love my dad for his frankness!

Inspire me with love for my art and for the creatures. In the sufferer let me see only the human being.
-Maimonides, The Physician's Oath

Here's a good one.

"Success is not final, failure is not eternal; it is the courage to continue that counts."
-Winston Churchill

For the future surgeons:

The place of the father in the modern suburban family is a very small one, particularly if he plays golf.
-Bertrand Russell

The final verse from my favorite poem, "Two Tramps in Mud Time", is my favorite. It also happens to be highly appropriate for this particular profession.

But yield who will to their separation,
My object in living is to unite
My avocation and my vocation
As my two eyes make one in sight.
Only where love and need are one,
And the work is play for mortal stakes,
Is the deed ever really done
For Heaven and the future's sakes.

Robert Frost

Work it harder,
Make it better,
Do it faster,
Makes us stronger.

More than ever,
Hour after,
Our work is,
never over! -Daft Punk (for the win)

Nothing in this world that's worth having comes easy.
-- Bob Kelso

"If you do the things you need to do, when you need to do them; someday you'll be able to do the things you want to do when you want to do them."

That one is a personal favorite to keep myself motivated throughout UG