Inspirational stories of getting into med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MyHobbyIsMedSch

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have them?

I keep going back and forth with going to medical school.
I was so depressed in undergrad and my grades were terrible. I graduated with a crappy 2.6 gpa. I know I can do the work though. I have gotten some decent grades in science courses. My gpa heavily flucuated depending on what was going on in my life. Some semesters I had a 4.0 and others a 2.0. I a MUCH better now. I have come to terms with a lot of the terrible things that happened to me while in college. I am working now but I have a terrible amount of student loans. The thought of being in debt for medical school scares me but I honestly do not know what else I would do. Does anyone have a story of overcoming terrible grades and being dead broke to getting into medical school? Is it worth all the sacrifice?

Members don't see this ad.

can you retake some classes to improve your gpa? If you take additional classes, i'm not even sure if med. school will incorporate those into your ugrad. gpa. hmm tough one.

OP;
...you should consider a formal post-bac program and focus on doing very well. Score high on the MCAT and apply broadly (MD/DO) school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a 3.07 uGPA and a 2.93 BCPM uGPA (see my MDApps for details). I'm headed to a allopathic med school this fall and was also accepted to several osteopathic med schools as well.

+1 to the low GPA thread - doesn't get much better than there.