Instatewaiter RIP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdh71

Grim Optimist.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
tumblr_mku6266ycG1s5ty3yo1_500.gif

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
yeah jdh, give us some details. i love me some drama

Sorry, I have no idea what's going on, but why did @Instatewaiter get permanently banned?

yeah jdh, give us some details. i love me some drama

No clue gentlemen. He probably made someone cry. Mods and admins circle the wagons with bans and they don't explain nor apologize. So your guess is as good as mine. Looking at his last posts nothing really out of his ordinary.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think we're actually supposed to discuss mod actions in separate threads.

That said, while instatewaiter was a bit of an ass sometimes, he was always a valuable voice. I glanced through his last few sets of posts and didn't see anything that would lead to a ban. What do I know though?

I don't think we're actually supposed to discuss mod actions in separate threads.

That said, while instatewaiter was a bit of an ass sometimes, he was always a valuable voice. I glanced through his last few sets of posts and didn't see anything that would lead to a ban. What do I know though?

Agree.

Unless of course he was a cards fellow at my hospital...in which case, he probably deserved it, lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Personally found jdh to be more of an @$$ than Instatewaiter :p

nooooooooooo! IM forum won't be the same without him. Still remember reading post as a med student from jdh/gutonc/instatewaiter.

demand reconsideration :(

I bet its the Cleveland youtube videos

What are they going to do ban all of us for daring to talk about it?!?!??!?? :heckyeah:

I want my ****in' human rights, now! [slams desk] Just like the President Jimmy Carter says. Okay?

Anyway the kid (which is the way I always referred to him) was a valuable contributor - matched to the top IM program and then to the top Cards program. I'm sure he made a useless millennial feel like their ass hole was on fire and a mod in a fit of self righteous indignation by the percieved microagressions made a very poor decision and hit him with the ban stick. They can never admit they were wrong. Ever. They will rationalize, justify, and intellectualize like a fat kid eating more cake. They have no shame. And will apologize for their action until they get mad and shut down our thread in petty protest.

Smart mods (and gutonc is one) will let us vent and know that it will go away soon enough. This is harmless in the grand scheme and probably therapeutic and cleansing in it own way. We're like protestors in a "free speech zone" a mile away from the thing we are protesting.

And finally this needs to be posted because of the oppression inherent in the system . . .

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I hope I don't get banned for asking this (I kid): Does it only take one mod to ban someone? Or does there have to be agreement between several mods?

I thought it was odd when I looked for rules there were very few re: posts.

Not that I think there should be a how to manual on how to not be a troll and get yourself banned (well, actually...)

I thought it was pretty weird they said there would be no warnings in the rules I found.

Maybe to put the fear of God into us. Can't say I like the notion but whatevs.

LGbNEsS.jpg

RIP Instate. Must've been too real for the forums one too many times. Guy was brilliant and really knew his stuff, and his presence will be missed. Sad waste of a good, active poster.

I hope I don't get banned for asking this (I kid): Does it only take one mod to ban someone? Or does there have to be agreement between several mods?

He was already on probation. As I understand the process and I do a bit because I'm probably the guy who has been in the most trouble and is still around. It's a graduated process unless you do some super nuts or bad.

He was already on probation. As I understand the process and I do a bit because I'm probably the guy who has been in the most trouble and is still around. It's a graduated process unless you do some super nuts or bad.
Except when it isn't, but let's not talk about that or they might ban us ;)

Thanks for the clarifications on the process guys.

I can't say I knew the guy or loved him him much,

But his title?
"But..but there's a troponin!" Is the handle I always recognized. I loved it because I could always hear an actual voice saying that in my mind, I've heard in IRL so many times. So so funny and clever as a handle.

How does it work if they come back under another account? Must they never mention they are one and the same or suffer the same.fate? What if there are.suspicions but no real proof? What's the usual on that?

Thanks for the clarifications on the process guys.

I can't say I knew the guy or loved him him much,

But his title?
"But..but there's a troponin!" Is the handle I always recognized. I loved it because I could always hear an actual voice saying that in my mind, I've heard in IRL so many times. So so funny and clever as a handle.

How does it work if they come back under another account? Must they never mention they are one and the same or suffer the same.fate? What if there are.suspicions but no real proof? What's the usual on that?
It varies. If you're a blatant troll, they will just ban by IP address. Otherwise, they're really inconsistent. I can think of several posters who came back under 2-3 nyms.

It definitely has to be a graded process though, because I got a warning once on the MCAT forum waaaaaaay back in the day. Too close to sharing actual questions from my MCAT. If they'd banned me in 2008, I'd probably be a lot more productive now.

Wonder if jdh is going to get banned for this…

This is just the next step in the continuum of SDN becoming a forum where pre-meds give each other "advice" based on their "hundreds of hours" of "shadowing" with no input from anyone who has actually gone through the process. Don't worry they'll get to keep their precious non-physician adcom members who they worship as demigods. They too have no experience in the residency process or what it's like being a physician of any sort.

Btw love the fact that we're now using the term microaggressive in these rants. You're welcome.

Reactions: 3 users
Now I'm internet ******ed (will I get.banned for this usage?? Jk), but is is the IP address specific to your internet service or the computer? Obv a VPN can deal, and another q would be if on computer can you manually change IP? I could google I know but I respect you all more than that. And I'm already typing in the box.

They must say policy is no probation/warnings so posters can't point to to that whining they weren't given due process

I would hope to get to get.clean up my act before gettinf the bammer.hammer, but I believe in 2nd chances.

Do they ever do a temp ban as a lesson and.lift later? Maybe after.money changes hands?

Wonder if jdh is going to get banned for this…

This is just the next step in the continuum of SDN becoming a forum where pre-meds give each other "advice" based on their "hundreds of hours" of "shadowing" with no input from anyone who has actually gone through the process. Don't worry they'll get to keep their precious non-physician adcom members who they worship as demigods. They too have no experience in the residency process or what it's like being a physician of any sort.

Btw love the fact that we're now using the term microaggressive in these rants. You're welcome.

We strike?

(Or more likely this just increases my festering displeasure with the quality of the discourse on the site and my presence continues to gradually shrink down to the surgery sub and that's about it.)

Reactions: 2 users
We strike?

(Or more likely this just increases my festering displeasure with the quality of the discourse on the site and my presence continues to gradually shrink down to the surgery sub and that's about it.)
I can't even read pre-allo anymore without cringing. Allo is practically at the same level. I basically only read gen residency and the IM forums anymore, plus a bit of lurking in EM and Anesthesia (as those have always been the more interesting and active forums on the site)

Reactions: 4 users
We strike?

The millennials, especially the "born after 1990 crowd" just can't handle any aggression or conflict (too many of which are also now mods). I bet that had a lot to do with it.

I'm afraid this was probably the decision of a non-grown up.

Reactions: 4 users
It's been vertically creeping for some time. Gen res is next (actually already got there this past application season).

I lurk here because there is a core of quality posters that keep things interesting. Although that core is one fewer now :(

And we all know who is ruining things don't we??

I can't even read pre-allo anymore without cringing. Allo is practically at the same level. I basically only read gen residency and the IM forums anymore, plus a bit of lurking in EM and Anesthesia (as those have always been the more interesting and active forums on the site)

There's always the lounge and sociopolitical. :D

Thought i'd do some digging myself and one would assume this is why he got banned:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...reserve-malignant.792164/page-2#post-16777514
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...reserve-malignant.792164/page-2#post-16781591

It also important to remember this is just an impotent protest.

We can certainly make this a non-impotent protest. For starters we can all stop posting in the last thread that @Instatewaiter posted in: the IM WAMC thread!

I waded into a preallo discussion. I was on the "millennials get a bad rap" kick until that (it's the illegal interview question thread). Man, was I wrong. I'm a microaggresive MFer apparently.

Mods, killing off crotchety fellows and attendings will leave what?

Reactions: 5 users
To be fair, there are certain things you might call someone that might do it.

There's even an order I would say about namecalling

The p-word is pretty bad IMHO

The naughty in me wants to list them in order of naughtiness

I can take the a-word, both b-words, the d-word, all pretty easy

trying to bypass the censor is a pretty egregious violation with many boards. probably best if he just said ***** instead of trying to circumvent it.

Good to know since I've been doing that with my cursewords

Ahole, f*show (just as example)

Maybe it helps not doing the name calling thing

It's the f word immediately followed by the word show. Could use the s word instead ie ****show

It's my fave

RIP @notbobtrustme

This is why I'm actually afraid to post around here these days. I kind of keep my posting to a minimum because I've got too many friends I'd hate to lose. I don't think I've ever been on actual probation, but you never know how many times a person has been warned before they get shown the door (or even if they were), nor how serious or minor their offense was so that you can avoid their mistakes.

Last edited:
Good to know since I've been doing that with my cursewords

Ahole, f*show (just as example)

Maybe it helps not doing the name calling thing

Just fornicating use a word that's a synonym for the fornicating word, you external sphincter.

trying to bypass the censor is a pretty egregious violation with many boards. probably best if he just said ***** instead of trying to circumvent it.

So if Instatewaiter got banned for calling someone a curse word but trying to be clever to get around it, as @notbobtrustme point out

and
Oh crap @notbobtrustme banned too.

Maybe he was in fact bob???
Notbobtrustme got banned for pointing it out although the word was blocked
Or was it as @ThoracicGuy suggests
Did he get banned for this joke?
I thought it was funny, am I going to get banned for thinking it's funny?

Just fornicating use a word that's a synonym for the fornicating word, you external sphincter.

Or am I going to get banned if I do as Siggy suggests and continue using cursewords, cleverly hidden or not?

@Mad Jack I'm with you, I'm getting worried. I don't know exactly what is going to bring the ban hammer.

I'm worried this post will do it.

Unless I'm told to stop, I don't think I can premptively motivate myself to give up my two fave cursings horse****, ****show

Or finding funny politically incorrect jokes that may or may not have been mentioned in this thread

Or am I going to get banned if I do as Siggy suggests and continue using cursewords, cleverly hidden or not?

I take offense, good Sir. I am hiding nothing. I am simply using proper English words to display my contempt of the situation. If the SysOps (Peace Be Upon Their Names) so deem that those words be not banned, then SO BE IT.

So if Instatewaiter got banned for calling someone a curse word but trying to be clever to get around it, as @notbobtrustme point out

and

Notbobtrustme got banned for pointing it out although the word was blocked

Or was it as @ThoracicGuy suggests
Did he get banned for this joke?
I thought it was funny, am I going to get banned for thinking it's funny?

@Mad Jack I'm with you, I'm getting worried. I don't know exactly what is going to bring the ban hammer.

I'm worried this post will do it.

Unless I'm told to stop, I don't think I can premptively motivate myself to give up my two fave cursings horse****, ****show

Or finding funny politically incorrect jokes that may or may not have been mentioned in this thread
I really hope he didn't get banned for obvious sarcasm lol, he was clearly parodying Murricans being Murricans.

I really hope he didn't get banned for obvious sarcasm lol, he was clearly parodying Murricans being Murricans.

Be careful. You might get banned now. I am offended at the word murrican

The fact that not a single mod has come into this thread to chastise us is telling. I think they're very conflicted.

The fact that not a single mod has come into this thread to chastise us is telling. I think they're very conflicted.

Either that or they are just polishing the ban-hammer waiting to bring us all down in one foul swoop. Think last scene in Godfather.

Reactions: 3 users

They are just letting us have our little vent session. I've bee. Through this kind of thing many times before. As long as we keep it here no one is going to bug us. They won't come in and explain themselves because: **** us. But then it IS their fiefdom. We just post here. They are not petty enough to ban us in here.