This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FLORIDA07

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hello everyone I am seeking advice after having had received an institutional action. I am not sure what my chances are still at medical school since I know this is a very serious punishment, any help is greatly appreciated!

Stats
4.0 GPA
511 MCAT
Top 20 Public University
URM

Story:
The first semester of my freshman year (Fall 2017), I joined a group chat for a science course. The course was offered at two times and was filled with people in the morning and afternoon section. I was in the earlier section and after completing my exam in the morning class I participated in a discussion which disclosed relevant exam topics with people in the later section. The following day I was notified by e professor of an accusation of academic dishonesty. In meeting with the professor I confessed and apologized. The penalty was a zero on the exam.

What I have done since then

I built a relationship with the professor by attending office hours and taking additional classes with her. Additionally was then hired by the professor to be a Teaching assistant for this same science course I received an academic dishonesty violation in Spring 2018. I have continued to work with this professor and plan on it until I graduate in Spring 2021. She will be writing me a very strong recommendation letter as I have known her as a student or someone who has helped in her classes since this incident occurred and will be mentioning this incident. Also, I have served as a representative on university hearings for others who have committed similar violations as I did. Allowing me to gain greater perspectives on those who committed similar violations.
I dont know the answer, - i will let one of adcom members answer that (@LizzyM @Goro ), but i just wanted to say that i am a true believer in "we all do stupid things sometimes, and it shouldnt have life-long consequences if you did everything you can to fix it" approach.

And you probably did everything you possibly could to remediate this. Great job on putting all that effort in afterwards.
I wish you best of luck.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
This may be the exception to the rule that an academic dishonesty IA is the kiss of death. You did not intend to cheat, you would have received no benefit if the incident had gone undiscovered (disclosing things after the exam would not give you a better grade), you have garnered the trust of the instructor, and been seen as trustworthy enough to serve on a honor council.

Let us know how things turn out for you 18 months from now but I do predict that you'll be okay and are likely to have at least one offer.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for the advice from both of you. I understand how serious this all is and unfortunately, there is nothing I can do to go back and time to never have jointed that chat. Would you recommend any modifications in building a school list, or just apply broadly?

Thank you so much for the advice from both of you. I understand how serious this all is and unfortunately, there is nothing I can do to go back and time to never have jointed that chat. Would you recommend any modifications in building a school list, or just apply broadly?

Apply to at least 15 schools, maybe 20-25 would be best. Writing good secondaries is better than applying to more schools but burning out and being half-a55ed about the secondaries.

Apply to at least 15 schools, maybe 20-25 would be best. Writing good secondaries is better than applying to more schools but burning out and being half-a55ed about the secondaries.
Okay, thank you. Would some schools not look at my application since I have to check yes for having an Institutional Action, despite my situation?

Okay, thank you. Would some schools not look at my application since I have to check yes for having an Institutional Action, despite my situation?
Schools are going to look. Some IAs are silly things that shouldn't keep anyone out of medical school (eg, storing a carton of milk on the fire escape-true story) and some are far more serious (eg, vehicular manslaughter!). The school has to look at the application to determine if the "crime" is so terrible that nothing would mitigate it (person who was caught -twice- stealing electronics from fellow students in the library) or if this is something the school can live with (drinking beer the day before your 21st birthday).

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
most important thing, - make sure you do not sound like you are making excuses. the way you wrote it up here is perfect. sound more like "i know it was horrible, i was stupid, i take full responsibility, and i grew from this in such and such way".

Reactions: 1 user
Okay thank you again! I will provide hopefully a good update in the future

Hello everyone I am seeking advice after having had received an institutional action. I am not sure what my chances are still at medical school since I know this is a very serious punishment, any help is greatly appreciated!

Stats
4.0 GPA
511 MCAT
Top 20 Public University
URM

Story:
The first semester of my freshman year (Fall 2017), I joined a group chat for a science course. The course was offered at two times and was filled with people in the morning and afternoon section. I was in the earlier section and after completing my exam in the morning class I participated in a discussion which disclosed relevant exam topics with people in the later section. The following day I was notified by e professor of an accusation of academic dishonesty. In meeting with the professor I confessed and apologized. The penalty was a zero on the exam.

What I have done since then

I built a relationship with the professor by attending office hours and taking additional classes with her. Additionally was then hired by the professor to be a Teaching assistant for this same science course I received an academic dishonesty violation in Spring 2018. I have continued to work with this professor and plan on it until I graduate in Spring 2021. She will be writing me a very strong recommendation letter as I have known her as a student or someone who has helped in her classes since this incident occurred and will be mentioning this incident. Also, I have served as a representative on university hearings for others who have committed similar violations as I did. Allowing me to gain greater perspectives on those who committed similar violations.
Being a FR when the incident occurred, and that it was three years ago, plus the other mitigating circumstances listed by LizzyM have me tell you that I'd be OK with you as an applicant to my school.

Reactions: 4 users
Being a FR when the incident occurred, and that it was three years ago, plus the other mitigating circumstances listed by LizzyM have me tell you that I'd be OK with you as an applicant to my school.
Thank you that means a lot.

Reactions: 1 users
I had a similar IA and it happened the semester before I applied and I have a lower GPA but higher MCAT, URM as well and I have received 6 IIs. I haven't heard back from any school yet but take it from someone who freaked out about my dreams being crushed and try to let go of the past and work on how you are able to talk about it and mature from it.

It'll be ok!! People make mistakes and we learn from them. Have faith and you got this.

I had a similar IA and it happened the semester before I applied and I have a lower GPA but higher MCAT, URM as well and I have received 6 IIs. I haven't heard back from any school yet but take it from someone who freaked out about my dreams being crushed and try to let go of the past and work on how you are able to talk about it and mature from it.

It'll be ok!! People make mistakes and we learn from them. Have faith and you got this.
Wow that is great to hear from someone who is in a similar situation. Did you have to mention it in any secondaries or interviews?

Schools are going to look. Some IAs are silly things that shouldn't keep anyone out of medical school (eg, storing a carton of milk on the fire escape-true story) and some are far more serious (eg, vehicular manslaughter!). The school has to look at the application to determine if the "crime" is so terrible that nothing would mitigate it (person who was caught -twice- stealing electronics from fellow students in the library) or if this is something the school can live with (drinking beer the day before your 21st birthday).
Your real life examples are always teaching moments in more casual way.:)

Reactions: 2 users
Wow that is great to hear from someone who is in a similar situation. Did you have to mention it in any secondaries or interviews?
Some secondaries gave me more space to talk about it and I def took advantage of that space to describe how it was unintentional and my professor is still supportive of me going into medicine and I was only asked about it at Miller and my interviewer literally said "not that it matters at all but would you like to expand upon your institutional action?"

I'm not kidding when I say I beat myself over this for almost 6 months. Once I received an II, I finally had faith that that one mistake does not define my application and then 5 more IIs came in. It'll be ok! My interviewer said it "sounds like a very painful learning moment" and I absolutely agree.

Some secondaries gave me more space to talk about it and I def took advantage of that space to describe how it was unintentional and my professor is still supportive of me going into medicine and I was only asked about it at Miller and my interviewer literally said "not that it matters at all but would you like to expand upon your institutional action?"

I'm not kidding when I say I beat myself over this for almost 6 months. Once I received an II, I finally had faith that that one mistake does not define my application and then 5 more IIs came in. It'll be ok! My interviewer said it "sounds like a very painful learning moment" and I absolutely agree.
Thank you again! I have been worried on and off for about 3 years so hearing someone who appears to have had success with a similar situation is reassuring.

Reactions: 1 users
This may be the exception to the rule that an academic dishonesty IA is the kiss of death. You did not intend to cheat, you would have received no benefit if the incident had gone undiscovered (disclosing things after the exam would not give you a better grade), you have garnered the trust of the instructor, and been seen as trustworthy enough to serve on a honor council.

Let us know how things turn out for you 18 months from now but I do predict that you'll be okay and are likely to have at least one offer.
Hello! I will make a longer post about this later in the cycle. But as of right now I have had 7 Medical School Interviews! Only 2 of them so far have asked about it, and it was mostly out of curiosity. Thank you again for your kind words. No decisions yet, but some schools should be letting me know by October 15.

Hello! I will make a longer post about this later in the cycle. But as of right now I have had 7 Medical School Interviews! Only 2 of them so far have asked about it, and it was mostly out of curiosity. Thank you again for your kind words. No decisions yet, but some schools should be letting me know by October 15.
By the way, did you actually receive an institutional IA or did the professor just give you a zero without giving you a formal academic conduct violation?

By the way, did you actually receive an institutional IA or did the professor just give you a zero without giving you a formal academic conduct violation?
Yes, I received an Institutional Action with the university.